RIP Pat Summerall

For me Summerall and football are synonymous.

RIP Pat.

Agreed. I loved the games he called with Tom Brookshier. A great tandem who bring back great memories of youth. R.I.P., Pat. You'll be missed.

Enberg isn't dead too is he? Did I miss that one?

No, Dick Enberg isn't dead. But he's calling games for a franchise that's dead...the San Diego Padres.

He had an incredible life story shown on the NFL network. Great guy,

The urban legend was his nickname became "Pat" because of the abbreviation for "point after touchdown" that a field-goal kicker was credited for in a game summary. But in a 1997 Dallas Morning News story, Summerall said after his parents divorced, he was taken in by an aunt and uncle who had a son named Mike.

"My aunt and uncle just started calling me Pat to go with their Mike," said Summerall, referring to frequently named characters in Irish jokes told during that time.

Edited by independent

Enberg isn't dead too is he? Did I miss that one? I recall in the early years Summerall was paired with Gifford on CBS

No. Madden and Enberg are still around. Olsen died in 2010 of cancer. I just meant that those guys were synonymous with my early football watching days and it's very sad to see they're getting very old or passing on.

I was never a fan of his style, but no one can deny that he was a broadcasting legend.

Too bad.

Not a fan of his style either, not at all... but Madden's enthusiasm more than made up for it. Maybe JM doesn't become that great paired with someone else. May he RIP.

Agreed. I loved the games he called with Tom Brookshier. A great tandem who bring back great memories of youth. R.I.P., Pat. You'll be missed.

I'll second this. Most of the stories are about him and Madden. Cool I guess. But I always did liked him and Brookshier a lot better.