Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

I know for a fact that Buddy Nix could give two schits what any draftnik expert thinks regarding ANY player on his board. There is no pressure on Nix in that regard. That's not to say he isn't under pressure, he is. But it's not from any external source.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm a critic of Nix, but I do think he has conviction (a good thing). He also was the main advocate for drafting Philip Rivers, one of the league's best QBs of the past decade. So he does have that on his resume.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will see - he has a new boss that might be looking at those. Though not direct, there may be indirect.

I don't view anyone in the Bills' front offiice (Brandon, etc.) as external pressures. And we can bet that there is significant and DIRECT pressure on, by, and from everyone in the front office. If Brandon is letting the media pressure affect his judgements then we can also bet that he is directing that downward. But that will only change the nature of whom the Bills pick and where, not Buddy's evaluations of those picks. If Brandon is smart, he stays the hell out of the way and lets Whaley/Nix and Marrone remake the team in their vision.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't view anyone in the Bills' front offiice (Brandon, etc.) as external pressures. And we can bet that there is significant and DIRECT pressure on, by, and from everyone in the front office. If Brandon is letting the media pressure affect his judgements then we can also bet that he is directing that downward. But that will only change the nature of whom the Bills pick and where, not Buddy's evaluations of those picks. If Brandon is smart, he stays the hell out of the way and lets Whaley/Nix and Marrone remake the team in their vision.

GO BILLS!!!

i agree on all fronts - just acknowledging how those external pressures could possibly get funneled down to nix in the selection process.

i doubt he even looks at the kipers of the world, but he has a boss that i would bet heavily is very in tune with the media perceptions. its a new dynamic and we dont know which way it will go. hopefully brandon is all about giving the tools to do the job, and not trying to put his own hands on the selection.

Mayock doesn't think Smith is a good fit in Buffalo, having seen him play a couple times in cold weather

From a value perspective, I don't think Geno Smith makes sense in Buffalo...

...If it's not him, do you want Matt Barkley or Ryan Nassib or EJ Manuel at 8? That's way too high, for me.

He goes on to say that Buddy won't wanna give up his 1st to get his QB, that he'll more likely be willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd...

Mayock doesn't think Smith is a good fit in Buffalo, having seen him play a couple times in cold weather

He goes on to say that Buddy won't wanna give up his 1st to get his QB, that he'll more likely be willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd...

Mayock usually has a pretty good bead on who Buffalo is going to pick, so that comment is very interesting.

Mayock has been saying this (trade back into the 1st for a QB) for months about the Bills...Problem is he has never once mentioned the Bills only have 6 Draft picks to go along with a TON of needs, or that Buddy wants more picks...not less, and that Nix does not like to trade picks anyway...Why is it so many of these Draft guys talk about Buffalo trading back in to the 1st, but never the FAR more logical trading down? Yet everyone and their Mother says the Browns are the perfect team to trade down...Why not Buffalo too? And I have mad respect for Mayock...But he should know the Bills under Buddy are FAR more likely to sit at #8 and reach for a guy then they are to give up a 3rd or 4th Round pick to move up from #41...He should know that...At least I think he should...

But maybe this is the year Buddy changes...I don't see it...But it could happen I guess... B-)

Mayock has been saying this (trade back into the 1st for a QB) for months about the Bills...Problem is he has never once mentioned the Bills only have 6 Draft picks to go along with a TON of needs, or that Buddy wants more picks...not less, and that Nix does not like to trade picks anyway...Why is it so many of these Draft guys talk about Buffalo trading back in to the 1st, but never the FAR more logical trading down? Yet everyone and their Mother says the Browns are the perfect team to trade down...Why not Buffalo too? And I have mad respect for Mayock...But he should know the Bills under Buddy are FAR more likely to sit at #8 and reach for a guy then they are to give up a 3rd or 4th Round pick to move up from #41...He should know that...At least I think he should...

But maybe this is the year Buddy changes...I don't see it...But it could happen I guess... B-)

it was pretty widely reported we tried to move up in his first draft.... sooooo.... maybe, maybe not.

Mayock has been saying this (trade back into the 1st for a QB) for months about the Bills...Problem is he has never once mentioned the Bills only have 6 Draft picks to go along with a TON of needs, or that Buddy wants more picks...not less, and that Nix does not like to trade picks anyway...Why is it so many of these Draft guys talk about Buffalo trading back in to the 1st, but never the FAR more logical trading down? I have mad respect for Mayock...But he should know the Bills under Buddy are FAR more likely to sit at #8 and reach for a guy then they are to give up a 3rd or 4th Round pick to move up from #41...He should know that...At least I think he should...

Most of these draft guys are very myopic. They can't see past the first round.

I understand there are some time constraints but a lot of these guys simply don't do their homework.

Their analysis is usually something like "the Bills lost Levitre so they'll draft Warmack" or the Bills need a receiver so they'll draft Patterson."

Look at the idiot McShay predicting the Bills will draft a guard for instance.

I have yet to read a single thoughtful, intelligent, informed opinion about the Bills draft possibilities from a major media outlet.

As is commonly the case, many of the opinion pieces here are better than what you read in the media.

Because unlike the vast majority of the media, we live, breathe, eat, drink, and sleep, Bills football.

Most of these draft guys are very myopic. They can't see past the first round.

I understand there are some time constraints but a lot of these guys simply don't do their homework.

Their analysis is usually something like "the Bills lost Levitre so they'll draft Warmack" or the Bills need a receiver so they'll draft Patterson."

Look at the idiot McShay predicting the Bills will draft a guard for instance.

I have yet to read a single thoughtful, intelligent, informed opinion about the Bills draft possibilities from a major media outlet.

As is commonly the case, many of the opinion pieces here are better than what you read in the media.

Because unlike the vast majority of the media, we live, breathe, eat, drink, and sleep, Bills football.

Agreed Bro...It drives me nuts at times... B-)

@GenoSmith_12: Just want to thank all those so called "experts" who say I can't be an NFL QB. Thursday will be a special day but the work has only begun

Tell em Geno, get this dun!!!

I've been going back and forth on Smith and Barkley but man, I think the draft "experts" are going to make Smith became a great QB. I don't ever remember a QB with his physical ability, his resume, and never getting in trouble get trashed like this.

And I absolutely love your draft. But knowing our luck as a Bills fan, we will draft a guard and let the Jets draft Smith, who becomes a star.

Is that a fact jack ? Disagree. If ye ole checks in a determines that geno is "the whip" lets lets do it

I think Genos gonna be special myself...trade up. Lets get out of this cellar

Let's see now..if we followed your advice we would have traded up to pick a guy who didn't even get picked until the second round?

I agree that Geno is our best option for QB in this draft. I also agree the Eagles will take him.

If, IF, he lasts through the first 2 picks, then I am all for the Bills trading up with Oakland at #3.

Id be willing to offer Oakland our 2013 1st, 2nd, and 6th, and our 2014 2nd, and 6th (conditional to 4th). Not sure how that works out on the chart, points-wise though.

Man I'm glad you're not running the Bills.

Unintentional comedy scale is at 10 in this thread.

Man, that is so true! Holy crap, I hadn't really followed this thread pre-draft because I was never a Geno fan, but it is freaking hilarious in restrospect!

• 2 weeks later...

Just because you say it, doesn't mean it's remotely true.

Not only remotely true...Geno himself didn't get selected until round 2. On the other hand we did trade down and got the guy we wanted late int he first round (although I still feel THAT was a stretch...given that we could have gotten either him or Geno in round 2.