Update: Two Plead Guilty; Browns Owner Next? Now up to 5

This is a really good recap of the whole thing. Not sure how even a billionaire can squirm his way out of this one:

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/4/19/4241314/jimmy-haslam-the-fbi-the-158-pages-that-will-cost-him-the-browns

I'm just shocked that nobody in sports news is talking about this...it really is somewhat of a big deal

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

"Several team officials are saying they believe it may be extremely difficult for Haslam to keep the Browns, because he may be ensnared by a myriad of lawsuits and legal actions that could drain his finances and prevent him from keeping the club."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/22217956/nfl-team-officials-fear-federal-probe-could-drain-haslam-undermine-browns

Edited by KollegeStudnet

• 3 weeks later...

I highly doubt he had any role in this. But he will still go down. Like when they brought down ken lay and Jeff skilling for Enron. the highest level execs are always targets, right or wrong.

Really?

The document says “the rebate fraud has occurred with the knowledge of Pilot’s current President Mark Hazelwood and Pilot’s Chief Executive Officer James A. “Jimmy” Haslam III, due to the fact that the rebate fraud-related activities have been discussed during sales meetings in Knoxville, Tenn., in which Hazelwood and Haslam have been present.”

That comes from the original federal affidavit filed in court over a month ago.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't consider that a report. That's a lawsuit and they're speculating that he knew stuff.

I still think he knew nothing, but will go down.

Sorry, but you lost all credibility when you inferred that Lay and Skilling might not have known about Enron's crimes.

I highly doubt he had any role in this. But he will still go down. Like when they brought down ken lay and Jeff skilling for Enron. the highest level execs are always targets, right or wrong.

Seriously? It's usually the top guys who walk and the underlings take the bullet.

PTR

Wouldn't consider that a report. That's a lawsuit and they're speculating that he knew stuff.

I still think he knew nothing, but will go down.

May I ask why you think he knew nothing?

That means...they're already f'd. If the FBI shows up you are not innocent.

That's certainly a stretch. The FBI shows up a lot of times when people are innocent. Federal Prosecutors also use a ton of tricks to like piling on additional charges and making life miserable to get people to plead.

I think he's guilty as the evidence seems to be leaning that way, but faith in if the Feds say you're guilty then you're guilty is an over reach.