Update: Two Plead Guilty; Browns Owner Next? Now up to 5

This is a really good recap of the whole thing. Not sure how even a billionaire can squirm his way out of this one:

http://www.dawgsbyna...-him-the-browns

That was a good read.

As others have pointed out, there are strong parallels between the Browns and the Bills. Cleveland is on Lake Erie. Both teams have endured more than their fair share of football-related heartbreaks. And now Browns fans have learned there are serious questions about how long current ownership will be in place. With no real succession plan.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a program and scheme that would be implemented and known about at much lower levels than CEO.

It was my understanding that the guy that wore the wire for the FBI (I think posing as a new employee) was on tape asking a coworker if Haslam knew about the scheme, and the coworker said yes.

It was my understanding that the guy that wore the wire for the FBI (I think posing as a new employee) was on tape asking a coworker if Haslam knew about the scheme, and the coworker said yes.

That's hearsay and not admissible as evidence in any criminal court.

why do you say that there is an admission of guilt? There's going to be a clause in the settlement that basically will say the opposite.

Why pay any money back? And no clause will turn back the investigation that's closing in on this shady character.

Anyway, witnesses have already placed "Jimmy" in the room when this scam was being discussed. He's done.

That's hearsay and not admissible as evidence in any criminal court.

Not if they call the guy who is on the tape (saying "yes") as a witness. Also, if they play the tape court then is it really a statement made outside of court?

Haslams move briskly to end truck stop scandal

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013/football/nfl/wires/07/18/2080.ap.fbn.haslams.investigation.1st.ld.writethru.1087/index.html

A judge has given initial approval to a class-action settlement to reimburse customers with interest, though there is no guarantee all those wronged will join. That settlement was approved Tuesday, just three months after a scheme among Pilot's sales force to cheat customers was made public in an embarrassing blow to the company's reputation.

Pilot seems to be trying to reach a resolution in a matter of months - even though the average class-action suit takes three years to settle, Vanderbilt University Law School professor Brian Fitzpatrick said.

"All this has happened very quickly,'' he said. "This is very unusual.''