A Method to Their Madness?

Bronc24

I have been fairly silent since the Bills got rid of Pickspatrick, but I have been watching the Bills offseason with interest.

I was optimistic when the keys were officially taken away from Ralph, adopted a "wait-and-see" attitude when Marrone and his staff were hired and I have been patiently monitoring the moves the Bills have made in the offseason, including the acquisition of Kevin Kolb.

My question, I suppose, is this: is there a master plan here? Are the Bills hoping to fill some holes in FA after the draft? Or am I being overly optimistic here and Nix is in way over his head?

My hope is that Marrone is a genius and the Bills are much better coached and prepared for 2013 than Gailey's three year fiasco (and the 10 year fiasco that preceded it), but I just don't know.

Thoughts?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a broad topic but my take on the franchise is this: Marrone was brought in as a young, energetic coach with NFL experience and college coaching success (albeit with Syracuse). Brandon is a younger fella and has acknowledged he will let the coaches and GM's make the football decisions. Nix is on his way out but kept here for the season at the request of Wilson and as a sign of respect for "everything he has done for the team" (this is just my speculation after hearing how Russ talked about Buddy at his January press conference). With that all said, I think Marrone, Whaley, Pettine and Hackett have drafted a Mission Statement (as an example) for success this year and the moves that we see in the media have more to do with cutting out old wood and allowing younger players to assume leadership roles. Couple this with FA acquisitions like Branch and Lawson and the likelihood that we will draft a QB somewhere between the 1st and 4th round...I'm excited and looking forward to seeing the Marrone Show come training camp.

"Ohhhhh Doug, Doug, Dougy Doug Doug"

I have been fairly silent since the Bills got rid of Pickspatrick, but I have been watching the Bills offseason with interest.

I was optimistic when the keys were officially taken away from Ralph, adopted a "wait-and-see" attitude when Marrone and his staff were hired and I have been patiently monitoring the moves the Bills have made in the offseason, including the acquisition of Kevin Kolb.

My question, I suppose, is this: is there a master plan here? Are the Bills hoping to fill some holes in FA after the draft? Or am I being overly optimistic here and Nix is in way over his head?

My hope is that Marrone is a genius and the Bills are much better coached and prepared for 2013 than Gailey's three year fiasco (and the 10 year fiasco that preceded it), but I just don't know.

Thoughts?

Well...

I think concerning Marrone and his Coaching Staff...It certainly must be true that they are pretty happy with the overall talent already on the Roster...That would make the most sense to me based on what we have seen thus far in the off season...Which mean that players like Colin Brown, Zebrie Sanders, Chris White, Marcus Easley, Ron Brooks, and even...dare I say it...Torell Troup are going to be bigger contributors to the depth needs of this team than most of us imagined...

I don't think there is any question that The Bills have some players like Dareus, McLovin, Carrington, Hairston, TJ Graham, and a few others who most definitely have talent, but to this point have underachieved...I imagine a good Coach would feel he can bring out that talent and maximize it on the football field...

I don't doubt The Bills will be shopping from the bargain bin after the Draft, and especially once we see the final Roster cuts throughout the NFL...I think that's a given...But I do get the feeling that this Coaching Staff is higher on the current Roster than most of us are at least...And I'm not sure how I feel about that just yet...We'll see soon enough if the plan is a good one...or not... B-)

So...you're looking for a complete summary of all off-season activity and discussion with a consensus resolution on outcome?

Yuh huh...

Not at all. I am wondering if they are going to make moves after the draft or stand pat. I also wonder if Nix knows what the eff he is doing.

Not at all. (A) I am wondering if they are going to make moves after the draft or stand pat. (B) I also wonder if Nix knows what the eff he is doing.

(A) Yes. They will watch for roster casualties like they have in the past.

(B) Some things would suggest he does*, others not so much**. Bigger question right now is whose hand is on the tiller. I have a sneaking suspicions (as I've said here many times before), that the Monday following the draft we'll be alerted to Doug Waley's ascension/Nix's "retirement."

*Urbrik, Pears, Stevie's extension, the apparent work they're doing with Byrd, cutting Fitz, Cordy Glenn, Stephon Gilmore, CJ Spiller, Dareus (I hope), Alex Carrington (yeah, I said it), Ron Brooks, Alan Branch, Doug Marrone/Mike Pettine (I hope)

**Fitz's extension, Chan Gailey, Dave Wannestadt

(A) Yes. They will watch for roster casualties like they have in the past.

(B) Some things would suggest he does*, others not so much**. Bigger question right now is whose hand is on the tiller. I have a sneaking suspicions (as I've said here many times before), that the Monday following the draft we'll be alerted to Doug Waley's ascension/Nix's "retirement."

*Urbrik, Pears, Stevie's extension, the apparent work they're doing with Byrd, cutting Fitz, Cordy Glenn, Stephon Gilmore, CJ Spiller, Dareus (I hope), Alex Carrington (yeah, I said it), Ron Brooks, Alan Branch, Doug Marrone/Mike Pettine (I hope)

**Fitz's extension, Chan Gailey, Dave Wannestadt

I have heard no evidence that Buddy is gone after the draft. This is pure speculation. He is a proven incompetent as his record indicates. Doug Whaley? Who knows if he knows what he is doing. He can't be worse than Buddy, but he may not be in charge for a while.

Why would they go running around signing free agents willy/nilly? Free Agents have shown time and time again, that the highest paid and not worth their contracts and rarely perform as expected.

Marrone and Pettine just got here. They literally just met the players. Maybe before they commit large amounts of dollars to guys, they want to get a feel for what they have.

I have heard no evidence that Buddy is gone after the draft. This is pure speculation. He is a proven incompetent as his record indicates. Doug Whaley? Who knows if he knows what he is doing. He can't be worse than Buddy, but he may not be in charge for a while.

I know that it's speculation, we'll wait and see.

Also, I offered plenty of positive "competent" signings. Care to refute any of them individually? Or are we content with the broad strokes?

At the end of the day, who cares about free agency and whether they make a "splash" or not? Teams have proven time and time again that getting big name free agents does not guarantee success. In fact, I would argue that it does the opposite. Look at how many years the Redskins tried to buy a team in free agency. They haven't found success to any degree doing that. Building the team through the draft and maybe getting a key FA here or there is the way to go. It should be interesting to see what they do during this draft and beyond. Personally, I think that the Kolb signing is in and of itself a sign of where the team is headed and what they expect. Clearly, they think Geno Smith is gone when they pick 8th and are not convinced that Barkley or any of the other QB's are worth that pick. While I don't like Kolb and don't think he'll be any different than Fitz-cockles, he frees up that pick to take the best available player. Alternatively, they might even be able to trade down with a team like the 49ers that has only a few discrete needs. Would it hurt anyone's feelings if the 49ers gave us both late first rounders for our pick and possibly a conditional 2nd or 3rd rounder next year? Not me.

Determining anything based on free agency moves is flawed logic. Unless the Bills got Peyton or Brees, FA doesn't really mean squat. All free agency does it give players much higher contracts than they deserve.

If the Bills draft a franchise type QB, this was a great offseason. If they don't, it was a bad one. It's really that simple.

Don't let the media feed your panic and paranoia, which for the most part is what gets folks down during the offseason because the media stokes the opportunity cost freakout in all of us. We see Team A doing something, anything and we're automatically thinking we have to do that and when we don't...panic.

Media says Dolphins are the winners in free agency. Team financials are somewhere between dumpster fire and nuclear meltdown.

Media says Bills must take a guard at #8. Bills bring in no guards for visits.

Media says Bills roster fourth worst in NFL? Yet Bills finish 6-10, drafting 8th, not 4th, with no team anywhere near a complete roster for 2013.

I think fans believe the media as fact checkers and truth tellers and they are not paid to do either of those things. The majority of sports media is typing out opinions...just like we all do on here because there isn't a lot to write about and sportswriters have to write to get paid.

You're not going to know who the 2013 Bills are until about 5 games into the *regular* season, so it's best to enjoy the draft and your summer.

Don't let the media feed your panic and paranoia, which for the most part is what gets folks down during the offseason because the media stokes the opportunity cost freakout in all of us. We see Team A doing something, anything and we're automatically thinking we have to do that and when we don't...panic.

Media says Dolphins are the winners in free agency. Team financials are somewhere between dumpster fire and nuclear meltdown.

Media says Bills roster fourth worst in NFL? Yet Bills finish 6-10, drafting 8th, not 4th, with no team anywhere near a complete roster for 2013.

I think fans believe the media as fact checkers and truth tellers and they are not paid to do either of those things. The majority of sports media is typing out opinions...just like we all do on here because there isn't a lot to write about and sportswriters have to write to get paid.

You're not going to know who the 2013 Bills are until about 5 games into the *regular* season, so it's best to enjoy the draft and your summer.

Wel

Well said. The Colts migh have had the worst roster last offseason and they got a QB. Besides QB, was there really a difference between the Colts and Bills last year?

After the draft will be the prime time to go bargain FA shopping. It's a buyers market, and when you are aiming low in FA expenditures, it's wise to draft first and see what you actually add to your roster. They will fill holes on the cheap afterwards. Let's keep in mind that many players will be cut right after the draft right up through the preseason. We saw this approach 3 years ago, it should not be a mystery now. The only difference is that if they draft 3rd next year, they will definitely draft a QB.