A Method to Their Madness?

Bronc24

See how Seattle turned it around. The new regime there is on their fourth year. The first three years they focused on the drat and getting good young talent. They got the best QB's they could in Free Agency without breaking the bank. They found their franchise QB so they think and then they went after what they thought were the missing pieces. I think NFL front offices need to pay attention to what Pete and John did. It was done quietly with no big splashes in free agency...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...by Chris Wesseling, "Around the League Writer" for NFL.com.

Yes, that's right -- who?

Is anyone, name or not, allowed to say bad things about the Bills? I'm wondering because winning 1/3rd of your games probably means your roster is pretty bad. And considering that there is 1 NFL WR on the roster, TE is thin, they just lost a starting guard, and have little at QB beside journeymen, I'd say Mr. No-Name is fairly right on.

See how Seattle turned it around. The new regime there is on their fourth year. The first three years they focused on the drat and getting good young talent. They got the best QB's they could in Free Agency without breaking the bank. They found their franchise QB so they think and then they went after what they thought were the missing pieces. I think NFL front offices need to pay attention to what Pete and John did. It was done quietly with no big splashes in free agency...

Seattle began a turn-around the same year Buffalo started their ill-fated rebuilding attempt. The Seahawks prioritized larger corners, invested heavily in the pass rush, and traded for some RB that another unnamed team took a 4th and 5th for who happened to be in the middle of his career.

Why are the Bills unable to rebuild across multiple GM, HC's, QB's, and team presidents? Could it be that their organizational structure prevents rather than permits improvement? We'll see what Marrone gets out of this roster come September, but people above him have a huge say in on-field performance and none of those people have changed.

Is anyone, name or not, allowed to say bad things about the Bills? I'm wondering because winning 1/3rd of your games probably means your roster is pretty bad. And considering that there is 1 NFL WR on the roster, TE is thin, they just lost a starting guard, and have little at QB beside journeymen, I'd say Mr. No-Name is fairly right on.

Seattle began a turn-around the same year Buffalo started their ill-fated rebuilding attempt. The Seahawks prioritized larger corners, invested heavily in the pass rush, and traded for some RB that another unnamed team took a 4th and 5th for who happened to be in the middle of his career.

Why are the Bills unable to rebuild across multiple GM, HC's, QB's, and team presidents? Could it be that their organizational structure prevents rather than permits improvement? We'll see what Marrone gets out of this roster come September, but people above him have a huge say in on-field performance and none of those people have changed.

As long as buddy is here there is no hope. Whaley is an unknown. We will be lucky to win 4 games this year. I love the apologists who criticize the article about our lack of talent . I think our oline will look much worse this year due to loss of levitre And not having fitz getting rid of the ball on quick 3 step drops.

You'll classify the Bills "re-build" as 13 years in the making--that the ineptitude from the top down ought to be evaluated from the Music City Miracle through today, in spite of the length of actual tenures, yet also claim that we started at the same time as a team who has made it to the Super Bowl as part of 7 total playoff appearances since the Bills last danced. Which is it?

Edited by taC giB ehT

You're correct about one thing...anyone with access to a keyboard can say just about anything about anything. FWIW, I think this guy is primarily a fantasy geek -- we should really respect his opinion about the content of all 32 NFL rosters, though.

If Ralph exerted significant influence over player decisions, as many claim, that's simply not true.

I think people really underestimate the talent already on this team. We get solid play out of the QB position and actually use CJ, I think we can surprise some people. Having a real DC for the first time since the 90s will help

I'm curious to see how this team perrforms under Marone. There is some talent, but it has several glaring holes as well. A QB upgrade will help but the run D has to get enormously better. If the team hadn't been behind so much the out come might have been much better last year.

Do you think that maybe...just maybe ....they got lucky with the Russel Wilson Pick? Giving Carrol that much credit on a very lucky pick....that smarter folks than him passed on is misguided IMHO. Seattle will not win a super bowl any time soon. Reason.....bad coach.

Russell will have a worse year this year than last year. I love the kid but defenses will figure him out...keep him in the pocket....and his height will become an issue as he is kept in the pocket. He will regress in 2013.

Edit: If Carrol knew Russel was that good he would have taken him in the 2nd...or maybe even the 1st. He took Russel to push Matt Flynn. He got lucky and Russel won the job in pre-season. He's not a good coach. He will never win a super bowl. Regardless of how much he spends. If he was a good coach he wouldnt have been fired as many times as he has. He got lucky on that QB pick.

If I am wrong I will publicly eat crow...right here.

jb

Edited by jaybee

You'll classify the Bills "re-build" as 13 years in the making--that the ineptitude from the top down ought to be evaluated from the Music City Miracle through today, in spite of the length of actual tenures, yet also claim that we started at the same time as a team who has made it to the Super Bowl as part of 7 total playoff appearances since the Bills last danced. Which is it?

Don't put words into my mouth. I'm referring only to the most recent rebuild attempt these past three years which resulted in 4, 6, and 6 wins. The team spent considerably on free agents, had 3 years of draft picks, and a coach who we were told was better than his predecessor.

If you want to quibble over my comment, so be it. But don't tell me what I think.

As long as buddy is here there is no hope. Whaley is an unknown. We will be lucky to win 4 games this year. I love the apologists who criticize the article about our lack of talent . I think our oline will look much worse this year due to loss of levitre And not having fitz getting rid of the ball on quick 3 step drops.

Thats silly.

But you might have a point.

or two.

This is the year of redemption for Nix. Not that he has failed . But he needs to draft very well for Marrone to get a running start as coach.

Thats silly.

or two.

This is the year of redemption for Nix. Not that he has failed . But he needs to draft very well for Marrone to get a running start as coach.

Not that I'm holding my breath but also, what happens if Carrington becomes a star this year?

What happens if Troup, Aaron Williams, Kelvin Sheppard and/or others become solid starters and/or contributors?

So it's not only the upcoming draft which could still change Nix's legacy.

A quick turn around can happen with stability at QB, better play out of the WR group and vastly improved run defense. Kolb maybe able settle the QB question for this season while a new QB draftee learns. Adding a WR who can compliment Stevie Johnson coupled with the young guys they have will help in the WR production. Better D line and ILB play against the run can come from added bodies thrun the draft. The bad team from last year won 6 games. They can win 8 next season if they get the breaks. One can only hope. Alot of what ifs surround the Bills.

Do you think that maybe...just maybe ....they got lucky with the Russel Wilson Pick? Giving Carrol that much credit on a very lucky pick....that smarter folks than him passed on is misguided IMHO. Seattle will not win a super bowl any time soon. Reason.....bad coach.

Russell will have a worse year this year than last year. I love the kid but defenses will figure him out...keep him in the pocket....and his height will become an issue as he is kept in the pocket. He will regress in 2013.

Edit: If Carrol knew Russel was that good he would have taken him in the 2nd...or maybe even the 1st. He took Russel to push Matt Flynn. He got lucky and Russel won the job in pre-season. He's not a good coach. He will never win a super bowl. Regardless of how much he spends. If he was a good coach he wouldnt have been fired as many times as he has. He got lucky on that QB pick.

If I am wrong I will publicly eat crow...right here.

jb

I don't disagree that the Seahawks got lucky with Wilson...But they had the defense to help with the growing process. They build their defense with free agents that that were middle of the rode players. Like I said earlier they drafted well and think they have their franchise qb. That is yet to be determined. But the bottom line is they went to the playoffs more in the last four years than we have. From the outside looking in they had a plan and executed that plan with some luck. We need the same!!!

I was optimistic when the keys were officially taken away from Ralph, adopted a "wait-and-see" attitude when Marrone and his staff were hired and I have been patiently monitoring the moves the Bills have made in the offseason, including the acquisition of Kevin Kolb.

Wow, until I saw this I thought I had only dreamed about the Kolb acquisition. Nightmare. I can't believe he's #1 on the depth chart.

Not that I'm holding my breath but also, what happens if Carrington becomes a star this year?

What happens if Troup, Aaron Williams, Kelvin Sheppard and/or others become solid starters and/or contributors?

Those are some big if's my friend : )

Thats silly.

or two.

What is your definition of failure.? Mine is a terrible record since he has been here. Our roster has limited talent. No competent GM would allow constant switching from 4-3 to 3-4 to 4-3 and now back to 3-4. Hiring two incompetent defensive coordinators. We just lost our best player in free agency and it looks like Byrd is next.

If you changed your sentence to read Kolb instead of Carrington than I'd say the Bills stood a chance.

Granted they are but I'm looking for Pettine to be a huge upgrade over Wanny so as I sit here and drink my Kool-Aid flavored coffee, it all seems so plausible.

The problem is, it always seems so plausible. However as the weather warms up there is nothing wrong with partaking in a little Kool-Aid if you so choose. Certainly the right time of year for it! :)