The San Diego Tradedown

Astrobot

Buddy isn't likely to make the bold move like trade down to San Francisco's spot (although 49'ers would love Kenny Vaccaro before Cincy/San Diego nab him). Perhaps Whaley can talk Nix into this more conservative scenario.

San Diego. SD doesn’t have any extra picks, but you’re talking a Bills trade-down from #8 to #11 for the Chargers’ RD3 pick. San Diego has been said to want (a) Kenny Vaccaro or (b) a shot at a top LT if one falls this far. Well, here's how Lane Johnson falls to #8:

1 1 Kansas City Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M

1 2 Jacksonville Dion Jordan DE43 Oregon

1 3 Oakland Sharrif Floyd DT43 Florida

1 4 Philadelphia Star Lotulelei DE34 Utah

1 5 Detroit Dee Milliner CB Alabama

1 6 Cleveland Jarvis Jones OLB34 Georgia

1 7 Arizona Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan

1 8 ???

Whaley whispers in Nix's ear, and Nix picks up the black dial phone, and dials 11.

Bills trade 3 slots for SD's #74.

1 8 San Diego Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma

1 9 NY Jets Geno Smith QB West Virginia

1 10 Tennessee Ezekiel Ansah DE43 Brigham Young

The Bills-SD Trade Mock from there on out:

1 11 Buffalo Cordarrelle Patterson WRF Tennessee

2 41 Buffalo Tyler Bray QB Tennessee

3 71 Buffalo Sio Moore ILB Connecticut

3 74 Buffalo Cornelius Washington OLB Georgia

4 105 Buffalo B.W. Webb CB William & Mary

5 143 Buffalo Chase Thomas OLB Stanford

6 177 Buffalo Matt Furstenburg TE Maryland

If Lane Johnson fell to 8, we'd also have other suitors: Miami, New Orleans, Philly.

• Miami has two RD2 and two RD3 picks, but wrong division.
  • New Orleans wants picks as they have no RD2.
  • Philly has one pick per round and no RD6,

The other suitors might involve picks next year, which is a whole other discussion.

Edited by Astrobot

If Lane Johnson falls to 8, PICK HIM! If not, you'd better get two high picks for him.

Agreed. I want more picks. Get our QB and an extra pick.

I like this mock except, I think QB should be the Bills first pick.........Barkley, Nassib or EJM

Edited by Rockinon

Astro, man. I know your job is tough and with all due respect, I know you know I mean that... I just cannot see where you are coming from this year with the Bills draft. I cannot disagree, though, based on everything we know no one has an idea. Let me digest this some... but first let me ask a few questions:

• Patterson is more of a long field target then a possession, field covering type of WR. This does not fit the West Coast thing we are looking for... Where is Andre Reed in this draft?

• Maybe not a question for you, maybe something I have to think over more - but where is our Henry Jones at S? The only one I can put in that position is Bryan Scott. That makes me a bit apprehensive... In your equations, I am sure you count on someone as a lock solid, leader and consistently contributing in the backfield - who is it that you are so secure about that devalues safety? Byrd stepped up his run defense last year... but he is still only signed for a 1 year contract.

• I am beginning to doubt the rationality of drafting a pass rusher when we have so many in the tool box and whatever Branch is going to be but still wonder if another one in the fold is as good as it could be - flood, flood flood... but, that's only as good as your ability to defend the short pass. Are there any DB's in the later round that could come in and smart/quick enough to help? That kid from Richmond everyone talks about?

Again, hope you realize just trying to give the opposing view, no disrespect. Keep up the hard and great work!

Leave it to us to want to trade down when Geno falls in our laps only to watch him go to the Jets.

Lets take a dynamic WR when we have trash throwing him the ball.

It's such a Bills move.

This is a nightmare scenario for me as I don't want Geno or Corderelle. I think both ars going to be busts.

Buddy isn't likely to make the bold move like trade down to San Francisco's spot (although 49'ers would love Kenny Vaccaro before Cincy/San Diego nab him). Perhaps Whaley can talk Nix into this more conservative scenario.

San Diego. SD doesn’t have any extra picks, but you’re talking a Bills trade-down from #8 to #11 for the Chargers’ RD3 pick. San Diego has been said to want (a) Kenny Vaccaro or (b) a shot at a top LT if one falls this far. Well, here's how Lane Johnson falls to #8:

1 8 ???

Whaley whispers in Nix's ear, and Nix picks up the black dial phone, and dials 11.

If Lane Johnson fell to 8, we'd also have other suitors: Miami, New Orleans, Philly.

The other suitors might involve picks next year, which is a whole other discussion.

Sorry, but I'm not giving an AFC team their franchise left tackle for an extra 3rd Rounder. I don't care what the draft chart says. If they want a stud LT, they're overpaying and throwing me a high pick next year, too. Just my two cents...

Patterson is more of a long field target then a possession, field covering type of WR. This does not fit the West Coast thing we are looking for...

Interesting point. Patterson also doesn't have the body of work that Buddy looks for.

At this point I'm thinking it's either Vaccaro, Barkley, Manuel or Mingo at 8, unless a trade down scenario develops.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

1 8 ???

If we end up taking a QB with our #41 pick I will fly to the US.....find Buddy.....and likely do something that will cause me to be extradited.

The trade would be fine with me if that is all we have to choose from. But would rather get another 2nd. The best values in the draft are 2nd round picks. After the first half dozen picks, the next 40 or so are all excellent value 2nd round picks. I have no problem with Bray in the 3rd or 4th, but no way is he worth a 2nd rd pick. He is not a starter this year, and being picked in the 2nd might stop the Bills from going for a real Franchise QB in the 1st next year. Not sure Patterson is even the best receiver. Rather go with a different WR with my 2nd round pick, the talent drop off is not that great.

I think everyone is missing the big picture here.

Ansah has fallen into our laps and he is a total stud in the making. We have a chance to build a D like the Giants (the one that wins superbowls and that Tom Brady cant beat)

Interesting point. Patterson also doesn't have the body of work that Buddy looks for.

At this point I'm thinking it's either Vaccaro, Barkley, Manuel or Mingo at 8, unless a trade down scenario develops.

Mingo does not fit Buddy's MO, either. Barkley and Vaccaro do, but Nix hasn't bought a QB early in the past so I put little faith he will in the future.

I see how it could be Vaccaro, but it doesnt address our top 3 needs, QB, WR, Rushbacker. It won't be Mingo. The weak spot in his game is the Bills' weakness in their game---run defending. That leaves us with QB at 8, and Dowtin's signing indicates to me that the trade down for ILB isn't happening either.

If I had to guess right now, we'll go QB in RD1, CB in RD2, Vance McDonald TE in RD3, Da'Rick Rogers WR in RD4.

I'd also be really surprised to see Buffalo pass on Ansah. Then again, it'd be tough for them to pass on Milliner, and it'd be tough for them to pass on Barkley - Dion Jordan, too. I could see them passing up a G, S, or LT (as long as it's not Fischer or Joekel), if only because the value at S and G might not be as good as they'd like, and with LT, they very well might believe they have their starter there already. It does surprise me how many people dismiss Ansah - he'd be able to man the DE and OLB spots, and he can cover, AND his potential is tremendous; there's a good chance he gets better for the next few years - and I just don't think you can say that about any but a few in this entire draft. Most of these guys are pretty much as good as they're going to get.

I read an interesting article that I can't find, I think it was the CBS Sports site. It was about drafting QBs in the first round. Because of the new rookie contract structure. Only first rounders get a four year contract but the team has an option to exercise a fifth year. So if the QB drafted turns out to be a stud you get to keep him for a fifth year on the cheap. It also said that this value is attractive but not with the first ten picks.

So if the Bills are determined to draft a QB in the first, they should trade down. But of course it takes two to tango.