New York State Bulls?

I'm actually surprised that Promo hasn't jumped all over this. While I think the knee jerk reaction is to think this is bad for Buffalo, I think in the long run it might be better for the school and the region. This could greatly raise the profile of the program and bring more money for the school. Perhaps a new shared stadium with the BILLS could be an option?

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/campus/2013/04/ub-or-not-ub-that-is-the-question.html?ref=bmh”

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The knee-jerk reaction is certainly to think it is bad for Buffalo. But it really is not. Look across the nation. Almost every state has a "_____ State University," whether it is the biggest sports program in the state or not. The fact that NY has never had that flagship university in NAME is almost baffling, considering the size of the state.

Just listing off the top of my head: Washington St, Oregon St, AZ State, OK State, Kansas St, Iowa St, Michigan St, OHIO STATE, PENN STATE, Mississippi St. And those are just the ones named that way. Then you have the "University of ______" (Florida, Michigan, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Cal, Oregon, Washington, etc) which are also flagship public college.

College sports fans could CERTAINLY name where most of those campuses are located. It may take "Buffalo" out of the name, but it will never take Buffalo out of association with the campus. When I think "Penn State" I don't think of Pittsburgh or Philly. I think of State College.

As a UB alum and a big fan of the teams I hope it happens. New York State Univ. just sounds a lot more prestigious. Plus everyone knows where the big State U's are located. You don't NEED the word Buffalo to be present. We all know Ohio State is in Columbus, Penn State is in State College, etc...

I just don't see how the SUNY beaurocrats downstate, fellow SUNY schools and non-sports caring faculty will allow this to happen. Sounds like a pipe dream really. I would like to see it though.. Maybe enough money talks and makes this happen.

Why would Buffalo be named "New York State University"? How did it get to be the "flagship"? It's not a top 50 state school. Binghamton and Stony Brook are...

Regionalization ???.....maybe play a preseason game in Toronto ??......(laffin)

As a UB alum, I hope they keep Buffalo in the name somehow, its a big part of the schools identity

As a UB alum, they need to change the school's identity as much as possible.

Why would Buffalo be named "New York State University"? How did it get to be the "flagship"? It's not a top 50 state school. Binghamton and Stony Brook are...

It was until Greiner began dismantling it. And it certainly was (and may well be today) the state's flagship school.

I didn't go to UB but would love to get behind a college from my home City. I mean no disrespect to the Alumni on here or those that want the Buffalo name to remain but for a casual fan like me, I'd take anything that would help the program get serious about athletics on a National level.

I love the Bobby Hurley signing.

Edited by Triple Threat