Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

How much that has to do with Wonderlic, however, is highly debatable. Kelly and Marino were dumb as rocks coming out and crappy Wonderlics but they were both football QB smart.

Good point kelly the Dog,

I've used Kelly and Marino in arguments myself before when someone tries to tell my a low wonderlic score automatically eliminates you from being a productive NFL QB.

Game has gotten more complicated though over the years, Defenses harder to read, so its possible Kelly and Marino would struggle in this day and age.

Edited by dog14787

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point kelly the Dog,

I've used Kelly and Marino in arguments myself before when someone tries to tell my a low wonderlic score automatically eliminates you from being a productive NFL QB.

Game has gotten more complicated though over the years, Defenses harder to read, so its possible Kelly and Marino would struggle in this day and age.

Possible but i doubt it. I imagine they both would be the same. To me, a lot of the stuff people attribute to smarts and reading defenses is not really smarts, like, for example, sensing the rush, how much time you have, where everyone is, and knowing when to throw. That's just a talent and a knack and a football skill. Concentration plays a huge role, too. Blocking everything out and the game slowing down for you as they say. That is a talent and knack and a football skill, and while it's processing information quickly, guys like Kelly and Marino with football smarts can process information quickly. Some of the smartest people I know aren't book smart.

Wow. 1560 posts on this guy. I guess this is 1561 or maybe someone else will beat me to it as I type this. The thing I like most about Nassib as a pick is that he knows the offense well enough to run it. This Bills has tailored it him and seen him succeed in it. This may give him an overall advantage on Kolb and Jackson and make it more likely that he will get meaningful snaps in the 2013 season.

If the Bills can get him later, 2nd round or trade down, all the better. Then they might know whether to invest a top pick on a QB in the 2014 draft without having to wait around for their 2013 QB pick to learn the offense in order to better evaluate him.

Possible but i doubt it. I imagine they both would be the same. To me, a lot of the stuff people attribute to smarts and reading defenses is not really smarts, like, for example, sensing the rush, how much time you have, where everyone is, and knowing when to throw. That's just a talent and a knack and a football skill. Concentration plays a huge role, too. Blocking everything out and the game slowing down for you as they say. That is a talent and knack and a football skill, and while it's processing information quickly, guys like Kelly and Marino with football smarts can process information quickly. Some of the smartest people I know aren't book smart.

Since JK is a big hero of mine I agree, he kicked butt then,

and he would kick butt now :thumbsup:

I think we'll know all we need to know about Nassib - as far as Buffalo and Marrone and Co., are concerned - come draft day. I really believe there is no way Nassib is off the board at 8. If Marrone and Hackett are gunning for Nassib, because he's got all the tools they need, and he knows their system, and can hit the ground running, and finally solve that positional problem for us, then I just don't think they'd risk passing on him at 8. Why would they risk seeing another team (the Jets are said to be high on him) - any of the teams between their 1st pick and their next pick, even if they trade back up - take him? If they can get him, and pass on him, then that tells me they don't see him as a sure thing franchise QB. They're not going to pass on the chance to take a legitimate franchise caliber, championship winning caliber, QB.

None of us will know until Thursday night. There are enough good things about him for me to be on board with the pick, if it is him. Sure, I'd prefer another QB, but Nassib does remind me an awful lot of Brett Favre - only smarter. Or - Jim Kelly. He'd be a good fit in Buffalo, even without Marrone.

I think we'll know all we need to know about Nassib - as far as Buffalo and Marrone and Co., are concerned - come draft day. I really believe there is no way Nassib is off the board at 8. If Marrone and Hackett are gunning for Nassib, because he's got all the tools they need, and he knows their system, and can hit the ground running, and finally solve that positional problem for us, then I just don't think they'd risk passing on him at 8. Why would they risk seeing another team (the Jets are said to be high on him) - any of the teams between their 1st pick and their next pick, even if they trade back up - take him? If they can get him, and pass on him, then that tells me they don't see him as a sure thing franchise QB. They're not going to pass on the chance to take a legitimate franchise caliber, championship winning caliber, QB.

None of us will know until Thursday night. There are enough good things about him for me to be on board with the pick, if it is him. Sure, I'd prefer another QB, but Nassib does remind me an awful lot of Brett Favre - only smarter. Or - Jim Kelly. He'd be a good fit in Buffalo, even without Marrone.

Yup. I think if they pass on Nassib at 8, they wont circle back around for him in the later rounds. Marrone and Hackett know him better than anyone. If they dont believe he is worth it at 8, they dont believe he has what it takes to be a franchise guy. I dont see them picking him up in round 2 if he is there in that case.

Yup. I think if they pass on Nassib at 8, they wont circle back around for him in the later rounds. Marrone and Hackett know him better than anyone. If they dont believe he is worth it at 8, they dont believe he has what it takes to be a franchise guy. I dont see them picking him up in round 2 if he is there in that case.

Still think there is a way, although I don't think that he will be available at 41. This is not a science, it's basically a prediction and a bet. None of these guys are a sure bet. They make like Nassib a lot, and still think there is, say, a 50-50 chance of him being a franchise QB. At #8 there is a guy they think has a 70-80% chance of being a Pro Bowl player, they will take that guy. At 41, it's well worth it to take a 50-50 chance, especially if they think he is pretty good, because you need two QBs in this league.

It's not unlike Kaepernick or Russell Wilson. The 49ers and Seahawks didn't draft either of them betting the ranch those guys were going to be franchise guys. They just thought they had a decent chance, and they at least would make solid back-ups with a chance to start down the line. The Bills easily could think of Nassib that way.

Again though, I think he is gone sometime in the first round, and if they don't take him at #8 he is not going to be there at #41.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Could you see a scenario where they trade back into the 1st round for him?

Yep. It's so hard to predict what they think of him though. It would not surprise me at all for them to take him at #8, nor would it surprise me for them to try to trade up to get him. I know Buddy likes his draft picks, but I do think that if they got a stud player at #8 who they really wanted, they would be willing to part with a 2 and a 3 to get Nassib if they liked him a lot, too.

Yep. It's so hard to predict what they think of him though. It would not surprise me at all for them to take him at #8, nor would it surprise me for them to try to trade up to get him. I know Buddy likes his draft picks, but I do think that if they got a stud player at #8 who they really wanted, they would be willing to part with a 2 and a 3 to get Nassib if they liked him a lot, too.

I don't know...with only 6 picks and tons of needs, I can't see them giving another one away.

Wasn't it Marrone and Hackett who put Nassib in this position?? As one of the top QB's in the BCS?

Sometimes the smart thing is the correct thing. Draft the Kid, give him the number 12 also.

Playoffs.... do I see playoffs?

Pardon me ... it 420 day today.

I don't know...with only 6 picks and tons of needs, I can't see them giving another one away.

It would be tough for him to do it but I definitely could imagine it. Again, we just don't know what they think of him. Plus, there are some guys still out there in FA. If they wanted to, say, get a ILB in the draft, and they had to give up an extra pick, they may decide to make the trade and then sign Dansby or someone like that to fill in the missing player. He would be at least as good as a #3 pick for two years in all likelihood.

In the draft lunch, Buddy was much more open to trades, and said they will listen to them all, moving up or down. He's definitely, IMO, not moving up in the top of the first round. I don't see any way they do that.

It's not unlike Kaepernick or Russell Wilson. The 49ers and Seahawks didn't draft either of them betting the ranch those guys were going to be franchise guys. They just thought they had a decent chance, and they at least would make solid back-ups with a chance to start down the line. The Bills easily could think of Nassib that way.

Harbaugh said he thought Kaep was the best player in the draft, but I think the 49ers knew they could wait. I think he was projected to go round 3 or later, if I rememeber correctly.

Either way, I agree. If Nassib were in last year's draft, we could play it that way, but we don't seem to have that luxury this year. We're going to get someone, but is it going to be the one we want? The best way we have to guarantee it is pick them at 8. No way we're moving up, and moving down only lessens our chance slightly, like if the Jets pick them, which I don't see happening this year.

Edited by Big C

Nassib scored a 41 on the wonderlic. Pretty impressive

I know I'm not supposed to care about this, but I do. It shows that they care about the process to me and they have a head on their shoulders.

I know it doesn't always translate to success (fitz), but it's a start. I'd rather fail with the smart guy than with the guy who tried and got a 10.

There's a certain maturity factor in there for me

I know I'm not supposed to care about this, but I do. It shows that they care about the process to me and they have a head on their shoulders.

I know it doesn't always translate to success (fitz), but it's a start. I'd rather fail with the smart guy than with the guy who tried and got a 10.

There's a certain maturity factor in there for me

I agree, especially at the all important QB position,

To go along with his high intelligence, Ryan Nassib displays a strong mental toughness that allows him to scan and compute whats going on in front of him at a high rate of speed without becoming distracted.

Combined with arm strength and accuracy, it translate into a franchise/ Championship caliber QB in my humble opinion.

Still think there is a way, although I don't think that he will be available at 41. This is not a science, it's basically a prediction and a bet. None of these guys are a sure bet. They make like Nassib a lot, and still think there is, say, a 50-50 chance of him being a franchise QB. At #8 there is a guy they think has a 70-80% chance of being a Pro Bowl player, they will take that guy. At 41, it's well worth it to take a 50-50 chance, especially if they think he is pretty good, because you need two QBs in this league.

Again though, I think he is gone sometime in the first round, and if they don't take him at #8 he is not going to be there at #41.

That's almost impossible considering Marrone has coached Nassib for four years. He should know with about 90% certainty whether Nassib is a franchise QB like Drew Brees or if he's not. Marroane coached with the Saints, he knows what level he's looking for in his QB.

If Marrone has only a 50-50 read on whether Nassib is a franchise QB he's the biggest idiot employed in the NFL. If the Bills pass on Nassib at #8 (which I hope they do since I think he's a clip board holder at the NFL level), then the Bills don't think Nassib is a franchise QB at all and they'll target another QB in this draft. The guy I think has Drew Brees potential is Matt Scott, to me Nassib is quickly beomming this year's Blaine Gabbert. Someone is going to waaaay over draft him.