Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

The Bills are definitely taking a QB at 8. I won't be surprised if it's Nassib, but we'll see. If they don't take him, they'll have a good reason - better than any other team.

Do I detect an undefeated season prediction already?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure he was giving you his opinion

Hmmm...possibly...it was stated so definitively that I figured he might know something we don't.

Do I detect an undefeated season prediction already?

I think you mis-read...his post said good "reason", not "season"

Hmmm...possibly...it was stated so definitively that I figured he might know something we don't.

I think you mis-read...his post said good "reason", not "season"

Dammit. I need to start opening my eyes more when I read. Indeed

I've never been more nervous about a draft in my whole life because of the importance this one man holds for the future of the Buffalo Bills.

Please football Gods don't let us screw this one up...

Since you're praying to the football Gods I'll add this...

Amen... ;)

Exactly...

I'm not the biggest Nassib guy...But like I've said before it's impossible to ignore the support he's getting from some folks in-the-know...And it's not just one guy...

On the other hand you have guys who I respect a lot, like Charles Davis, saying that he feels Tyler Wilson is a better prospect QB than Nassib...Davis then went on to say that he felt Wilson was only a potential NFL starter, and a good back-up QB prospect...So he's not too high on Nassib...This has to be the most confusing group of Draftable QB's in a while...Seeing how these kids will pan out over the next 3 years is going to be interesting to say the least... B-)

You have to wonder what precipitated the Nassib hype the past month. Is it everyone just following the next person or did he really improve during the off-season that much? I wasn't enamored with his Senior Bowl effort nor the combine performance, but perhaps people know that someone is using a high first round pick on him and these draftniks want to say they ranked him highly when he's picked.

Either way, teams need QB's as is the case every season. Problem is, there are moderate issues with each top prospect. I think Nassib appeals because he's a safe pick to some, but he does have issues that might prove hard to overcome at the pro level. JMO.

You have to wonder what precipitated the Nassib hype the past month. Is it everyone just following the next person or did he really improve during the off-season that much? I wasn't enamored with his Senior Bowl effort nor the combine performance, but perhaps people know that someone is using a high first round pick on him and these draftniks want to say they ranked him highly when he's picked.

Either way, teams need QB's as is the case every season. Problem is, there are moderate issues with each top prospect. I think Nassib appeals because he's a safe pick to some, but he does have issues that might prove hard to overcome at the pro level. JMO.

The bolded is a REAL interesting take...I love Mike Mayock...Respect the hell out of the guy...But I have openly accused him of doing this exact thing...Unlike many TV Scouts Mayock is in really good with a boatload of GM's...When he hears a name enough, suddenly that guy skyrockets up his board late in the process...It's exactly what he did with Chandler Jones last year...And Mayock is closer to Belichick than he is with any other GM...

So anyway...Agreed... B-)

I have a high regard for Greg Cosell of NFL Films. He basis his evaluations primarily on tape studies rathen than the combine and scripted workouts. His favorite qb is Nassib. The one qb he seems to disparge the most is Barkley. He also has made severe critiicisms of Geno Smith. He considers Barkley a third round caliber of qb. His primary criticism of him is that he doesn't believe that he has an adequate NFL arm.

As I stated in other posts I am not locked into any particular qb other than I feel it is imperative that we select our top rated qb in this draft. I am adamantly against waiting another year for our franchise qb.

Yes, I do not want to wait another year either. I want Nassib at #8, but if Bills take Geno or Manuel at 8, I will be happy. If we had more than 6 picks, Id want the Bills to take 2 qbs. At this point, after picking up Kolb, I wish we could trade T jax back for the pick we gave up for him. I just want the Bills to take a shot at QB. And I feel like they should keep drafting qbs for years to come until we find the next franchise qb. Not taking Russel Wilson in the 3rd will probably eat at me for the rest of my life. Only way that will cease to bother me is if somehow we draft a qb who winds up being better than Wilson in the NFL. Thats a tough hand to beat though.

I am starting to think that if the Bills dont pick Nassib at #8, it will surprise me. I feel like the Eagles are going to draft Geno if he is there. He seems to be a perfect fit for Chip Kelly's offense. I do not know what other needs the Eagles have, so I could be wrong since Vick is the incumbent.

I have a high regard for Greg Cosell of NFL Films. He basis his evaluations primarily on tape studies rathen than the combine and scripted workouts. His favorite qb is Nassib. The one qb he seems to disparge the most is Barkley. He also has made severe critiicisms of Geno Smith. He considers Barkley a third round caliber of qb. His primary criticism of him is that he doesn't believe that he has an adequate NFL arm.

As I stated in other posts I am not locked into any particular qb other than I feel it is imperative that we select our top rated qb in this draft. I am adamantly against waiting another year for our franchise qb.

Cosell is one of my favorites if not my favorite of these type guys. I like Mayock a lot, too. They almost always give solid, specific reasons and examples of why. Of course, they are only right about 50% of the time, but the best in the business, who is arguably Ozzie Newsome, is only right a little higher than that.

The other thing not usually discussed much is that there are two completely different ranking systems, and fans and sportswriters very often interchange them when they shouldn't. There how the draftnik, say Mayock, ranks them as prospects, and how that draftnik THINKS the draft will go.

And actually a third, because there is also a system of where a draftnik thinks a player should be drafted. That's slightly different than the other two although there are elements of both. A draftnik could easily think Ryan Nassib is the #32 best player in the draft, predict the Bills will take him at #8 in a mock draft, and think he should be slotted around #16, especially if the Bills don't take him, because he's a QB and QBs are more important than any other position.

Fans, in turn, will see comments made by that draftnik and say he thinks he is 32, or say he thinks he is 8 or say he thinks he is 16.

Another item. It's well-known that the Jets have a need for another QB and I doubt their new GM Idzik wants to go with Sanchez regardless of inheriting the HC. And so, does Buffalo pass on Nassib and allow their division rival to have a shot at him?

Are you trying to say dumber is better? :D

Thinking fast under pressure is the key, something Nassib has demonstrated the ability to do very well.

Heh, I'm just saying, we've learned that a high Wonderlic doesn't translate to on-field results.

Heh, I'm just saying, we've learned that a high Wonderlic doesn't translate to on-field results.

Odds are you will have better results with a smart QB vs a not so smart QB, No?

Many young QB prospects have the tools it takes physically to succeed in the NFL, but not mentally.

Many young QB prospects have the tools it takes physically to succeed in the NFL, but not mentally.

Can't disagree with that.

How much that has to do with Wonderlic, however, is highly debatable. Kelly and Marino were dumb as rocks coming out and crappy Wonderlics but they were both football QB smart.