Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

I think you're being a little overly-sensitive to these QB debates. I don't really get your argument. So you don't want fans to have strong opinions about the future of the QB position on an NFL team message board? These kind of fans are now deemed as being "extremists"? Really? I find people who ride the fence and give all sides of an argument lame and boring. Good or bad, I want an opinion. Not someone tip toeing around the subject.

I suggest that you don't come here on draft day because it probably isn't going to be very pretty. This isn't the Colt or Redskin "slam dunk" Luck or RGIII QB pick situation. Don't ever forget that this is just a message board and you can't take anything too seriously. People are passionate about who they like and don't like by now. That's an ok thing in my book.

As long as that qb is Matt Scott! amirite? :nana:

True.

But between Gruden, and highly respected Russ Lande, Greg Cosell, Ron Jaworski, and others who are putting Nassib at the very top or top two, it's hard for people to say he would be an absolute reach at #8, or that he appears to be a third round pick, or there is no way he is going to be a franchise guy.

I'm torn on Nassib myself, and would rather we not take him at 8.

I live right outside of Syracuse and noticed a switch on Nassib that led me to believe he could be very succesful at the next level. I really blew him off until this year. He put up numbers but they were empty numbers. This year that changed. This year he was a LEADER. I know it is passe to say look at this film or look at this film. Watch his (almost) comeback against Northwestern. It was the start of him turning the corner. Watch the Louisville game and watch him throw it all over a (then ranked) top 10 team. I think him being from SU has actually worked against both for pundits and tbders. The Marrone connection only strengthens that love or hate (depending on where you fall on the negative nancy scale). It is nice personally to see pundits falling in line with what I thought I saw though.

I truly believe that Buddy Nix is stubborn enough not to let the "consensus" sway him one bit. Stubbornness is sometimes a great thing and sometimes a terrible thing. In this case, I think it would be to our benefit. And I don't think that if the Bills do take him at 8, it necessarily means he was backed into a corner. He could have been, but he may very well love Nassib, and he VERY likely trusts Marrone a lot, considering he hired him.

Nix said he thinks there are two clear starting quality QBs in this draft. One of them could easily be Nassib.

The real issue, to me, is that we simply don't know the extent to which Marrone loves Nassib. He obviously likes him a lot. He owes a large chunk of his lifelong goal of being an NFL head coach to Nassib. We just don't know if he is now willing to bet that job on the kid. If Marrone lobbies hard for him, and Buddy likes him a lot himself, I can see him pulling the trigger. I don't think pundits and fans are going to sway him one bit. Just my opinion.

I actually wondered (pure speculation on my part) if Nix/Bills/et. al. really liked what they saw of Nassib and Marrone coming in was due to this factor. Please don't twist my words into saying that Marrone is here bc Nassib will be, it is just something I thought of in passing. He has intimate knowledge of Nassib as well as coaching against a few of the other top prospects. It may not have helped Marrone's cause in becoming coach but it certainly didn't hurt.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly believe that Buddy Nix is stubborn enough not to let the "consensus" sway him one bit. Stubbornness is sometimes a great thing and sometimes a terrible thing. In this case, I think it would be to our benefit. And I don't think that if the Bills do take him at 8, it necessarily means he was backed into a corner. He could have been, but he may very well love Nassib, and he VERY likely trusts Marrone a lot, considering he hired him.

Nix said he thinks there are two clear starting quality QBs in this draft. One of them could easily be Nassib.

The real issue, to me, is that we simply don't know the extent to which Marrone loves Nassib. He obviously likes him a lot. He owes a large chunk of his lifelong goal of being an NFL head coach to Nassib. We just don't know if he is now willing to bet that job on the kid. If Marrone lobbies hard for him, and Buddy likes him a lot himself, I can see him pulling the trigger. I don't think pundits and fans are going to sway him one bit. Just my opinion.

Good stuff. The challenge becomes when to pull the trigger. And....How much OBD is willing to gamble. I am of the opinion #8 is too high for Ryan. I am also of the opinion that this is a good deep draft at a lot of positions we need, with the exception of the QB position. But I do think there may be a few pretty good QB's in this draft. The more I think about it, trading down might be a darn good idea.... if the opportunity presents itself. In this case,if the projection still shows Ryan, EJ etc still available at whatever pick we'd trade down to we might be able to fill more holes than if we dont trade down. And...still get a QB that may pan out.

This trade down scenario would not surprise me. Almost looks like Doug is trying to fill as many holes as possible with a limited budget..... so far. I like it. Maybe he'll do the same thing in his draft strategy ?

Should be an interesting draft. And...call me silly cuz I'm gulping down the Kul-aid ! !!

If nothing else....BEAT THE PATRIOTS !!

jb

Hey - on profootballtalk there's an article about Gruden saying he thinks Nassib is the best QB of the bunch this year. That says a lot, to me. Gruden is considered a very good judge of QB talent - at the NFL level. If he says he likes Nassib, that he thinks Nassib can be very successful in this league, I'm going to take his word for it, after all, how could I know better than him?

Can you guess who said this...

"I do think Blaine Gabbert is a Top 10 pick. All you have to do is see the ball come out of his hand. He's got a very quick, strong arm, prototype size. He's over 6'4", 235 pounds, a finance major, so you know he has intelligence. He has speed. I mean, Gabbert ran very well at the combine. He's elusive back there. His scrambling and play making ability I think will be very enticing."

For every person at ESPN who likes him there's double the amount at NFL.com, NFL Network and NFL radio who don't like Nassib at all as an NFL QB.

I live right outside of Syracuse and noticed a switch on Nassib that led me to believe he could be very succesful at the next level. I really blew him off until this year. He put up numbers but they were empty numbers. This year that changed. This year he was a LEADER. I know it is passe to say look at this film or look at this film. Watch his (almost) comeback against Northwestern. It was the start of him turning the corner. Watch the Louisville game and watch him throw it all over a (then ranked) top 10 team. I think him being from SU has actually worked against both for pundits and tbders. The Marrone connection only strengthens that love or hate (depending on where you fall on the negative nancy scale). It is nice personally to see pundits falling in line with what I thought I saw though.

I actually wondered (pure speculation on my part) if Nix/Bills/et. al. really liked what they saw of Nassib and Marrone coming in was due to this factor. Please don't twist my words into saying that Marrone is here bc Nassib will be, it is just something I thought of in passing. He has intimate knowledge of Nassib as well as coaching against a few of the other top prospects. It may not have helped Marrone's cause in becoming coach but it certainly didn't hurt.

On your first point, I think this is very likely the key factor: Does Marrone think he got all he could out of Nassib, OR, does Marrone think that Nassib improved every year, and his angle of ascension improved dramatically as a senior, and therefore considers it likely that Nassib will just keep getting better and better.

I don't care how much anyone follows SU football, you don't know the answer to that question unless Marrone or Hackett or Nix, etc., has told you that specifically. That is probably the single most important question, and the answer to that question is probably the answer to whether or not we draft Nassib.

On your second point, I don't really think that is possible. Nix could have liked Nassib a lot from seeing him in a few games. But he hired Marrone before he did all of his evaluations and film study on all of the QBs, including Nassib, so it wouldnt have made any sense to put his eggs in one basket. I will say that if Nix liked Nassib a lot, it could have been one of 20-25 little factors that pushed Marrone to the top of the Bills list.

"I do think Blaine Gabbert is a Top 10 pick. All you have to do is see the ball come out of his hand. He's got a very quick, strong arm, prototype size. He's over 6'4", 235 pounds, a finance major, so you know he has intelligence. He has speed. I mean, Gabbert ran very well at the combine. He's elusive back there. His scrambling and play making ability I think will be very enticing."

For every person at ESPN who likes him there's double the amount at NFL.com, NFL Network and NFL radio who don't like Nassib at all as an NFL QB.

Actually, every little thing you quoted about whoever said that about Gabbert is true. He was a top 10 pick. He does have a quick strong arm and prototype size. He has intelligence. He has speed. His ability was enticing.

If you're using that quote to badmouth Gruden, you would be badmouthing yourself. ;)

On your first point, I think this is very likely the key factor: Does Marrone think he got all he could out of Nassib, OR, does Marrone think that Nassib improved every year, and his angle of ascension improved dramatically as a senior, and therefore considers it likely that Nassib will just keep getting better and better.

I don't care how much anyone follows SU football, you don't know the answer to that question unless Marrone or Hackett or Nix, etc., has told you that specifically. That is probably the single most important question, and the answer to that question is probably the answer to whether or not we draft Nassib.

On your second point, I don't really think that is possible. Nix could have liked Nassib a lot from seeing him in a few games. But he hired Marrone before he did all of his evaluations and film study on all of the QBs, including Nassib, so it wouldnt have made any sense to put his eggs in one basket. I will say that if Nix liked Nassib a lot, it could have been one of 20-25 little factors that pushed Marrone to the top of the Bills list.

I will agree with you about not knowing their thoughts on him going forward. I personally saw a light go on this year that made me pay attention to him more as a sunday prospect than a saturday player. Whether that light is all he has and he has peaked (I don't personally believe this) or if there is still room for continued improvement we won't know that answer until he has played in the league.

As for my second point that is exactly what I was alluding to. I think Marrone's inner knowledge of a lot of the top qbs in this class helped him land the job. I just wonder if Nassib was well thought of and a potential target. If nothing else it would have landed Marrone an interview to pick his brain. From there who knows - maybe he blew there socks off.

I still think Marrone likes Barkley (pure speculation) but that may be me just transferring my feelings onto him. Some random comments have led me to believe that but at this point it could literally be any qb taken by the Bills and I wouldn't be surprised. What would surprise me is if they made it out of the first round without a qb for the future.

Funny, not seeing Matt Scott's name being thrown around much.

Maybe everyone is still just catching up to you?

Actually, every little thing you quoted about whoever said that about Gabbert is true. He was a top 10 pick. He does have a quick strong arm and prototype size. He has intelligence. He has speed. His ability was enticing.

If you're using that quote to badmouth Gruden, you would be badmouthing yourself. ;)

I thought Gabbert's pre-draft ascension was a joke. Just like I think Nassib's ascension is a joke. Gruden wasn't so much predicting as he was rubber stamping Gabbert being a top ten pick according to his evaluation. Ryan Nassib is quickly becoming this year's Blaine Gabbert.

Edited by 1billsfan

I thought Gabbert's pre-draft ascension was a joke. Just like I think Nassib's ascension is a joke. Gruden wasn't so much predicting as he was rubber stamping Gabbert being a top ten pick accruing to his evaluation. Ryan Nassib is quickly becoming this year's Blaine Gabbert.

Yeah, right, because Jon Gruden has no ego or strong opinions and he habitually "rubber stamps" what others say about players, especially QBs. :wallbash: Keeping digging yourself a bigger hole, this is getting fun.

Funny, not seeing Matt Scott's name being thrown around much.

Maybe everyone is still just catching up to you?

Matt Scott was brought into One Bills Drive for a visit. He's actually had more on site team visits than Nassib. No one knows what NFL teams think of Scott. Maybe the silence on him speaks volumes that teams really do like him a lot and don't want to blow their cover. The kid's a tough baller with great QBs skills and physical ability. A lot like the last two "sudden rock star" QBs in Kaepernick and Wilson. He is much more raw, but he does have the same mental and physical traits as them.

I particularly like how you say on one hand, very few pundits are saying Nassib is any good. And then your next point is that pundits are rubber stamping all the other FEW guys that say he is any good. Wouldn't these rubberstampers want to be stamping guys that most pundits think are good? They must be crappy rubber stampers.

Yeah, right, because Jon Gruden has no ego or strong opinions and he habitually "rubber stamps" what others say about players, especially QBs. :wallbash: Keeping digging yourself a bigger hole, this is getting fun.

I don't think you're getting what I meant. By "rubber stamping" I meant that he thought Gabbert was a QB worthy of being a top ten pick. It wasn't meant to say he was "rubber stamping" other's opinions. If someone wants to bring up Gruden's glowing review of Nassib, it's only fair to see a very recent evaluation failure. Chances are that the Jaguars are going to select Geno Smith to get out of that "hole" the previous regime dug them into.

Edited by 1billsfan

Matt Scott was brought into One Bills Drive for a visit. He's actually had more on site team visits than Nassib. No one knows what NFL teams think of Scott. Maybe the silence on him speaks volumes that teams really do like him a lot and don't want to blow their cover. The kid's a tough baller with great QBs skills and physical ability. A lot like the last two "sudden rock star" QBs in Kaepernick and Wilson. He is much more raw, but he does have the same mental and physical traits as them.

Maybe they knew all about him they wrote him off after he was a top high school recruit, started as a sophomore, got benched after 2-3 games and never got off it, then red-shirted, and finally became a starter again for one year.

omg someone made a thread about ryan nassib when there already is one....quick get the forum police...who gives a rats ass...

we don't need 2 nassib threads.....i give a rats arse......keep all the convo in one thread so it is a convo ya see?

if dog and trooths pro Nassib sentiment can't reach ya........then whats the point?

less than a month away fellas.........time to buckle down and pick that qb. Geno in the 1st god willing, or Nassib in the 2nd it sounds like.

I still think Bills value a few others over Nassib....Wilson/Manuel but i guess we will find out soon enough.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I don't think you're getting what I meant. By "rubber stamping" I meant that he thought Gabbert was a QB worthy of being a top ten pick. It wasn't meant to say he was "rubber stamping" other's opinions. If someone wants to bring up Gruden's glowing review of Nassib, it's only fair to see a very recent evaluation failure. Chances are that the Jaguars are going to select Geno Smith to get out of that "hole" the previous regime dug them into.

Maybe I didnt get what you meant by rubber stamping because you weren't using it for what it means, which is approving or endorsing something without assessing its merit.

Maybe they knew all about him they wrote him off after he was a top high school recruit, started as a sophomore, got benched after 2-3 games and never got off it, then red-shirted, and finally became a starter again for one year.

He redshirted because the coach at the time was going with an antiquated drop back offense. With his new coach Rodriguez, Scott accounted for over 30 TDs in his one and only starting year. To me, that's very impressive along with his "never say die" competitive drive.

He redshirted because the coach at the time was going with an antiquated drop back offense. With his new coach Rodriguez, Scott accounted for over 30 TDs in his one and only starting year. To me, that's very impressive along with his "never say die" competitive drive.

You don't count the year he was slated to start, started through spring ball, started through training camp, and then started the season for a couple games before he was benched for the rest of the year as starting?

And he red-shirted because he wasn't going to play at all, not because of the coach. He didn't want to use his last year of eligibility up as a back-up. So at least we know he is pretty smart.

You don't count the year he was slated to start, started through spring ball, started through training camp, and then started the season for a couple games before he was benched for the rest of the year as starting?

And he red-shirted because he wasn't going to play at all, not because of the coach. He didn't want to use his last year of eligibility up as a back-up. So at least we know he is pretty smart.

I'm talking about his one and only full year at starting QB. That's all. If 2012 was his second year starting under Rodriguez he'd probably would have accounted for over 40 TDs this year I would think or at least close to it. But the previous coach was going with the "old fashioned" drop back offense so the coach went with Foles (who's an old fashioned QB prospect by current NFL standards) and Scott was indeed very smart to redshirt. It will be very interesting where these QBs fall in the draft.

Edited by 1billsfan

I'm talking about his one and only full year at starting QB. That's all. If 2012 was his second year starting under Rodriguez he'd probably would have accounted for over 40 TDs this year I would think or at least close to it. But the previous coach was going with the "old fashioned" drop back offense so the coach went with Foles (who's an old fashioned QB prospect by current NFL standards) and Scott was indeed very smart to redshirt. It will be very interesting where these QBs fall in the draft.

I don't mind Scott and think he has some potential. But Foles beat out Scott three consecutive years, including the year that Scott started out ahead of him and then was benched for poor play. You also seem to totally disregard Scott was a turnover machine. He had 27 Tds and 14 INTs, that's not all that good. He also was a good runner, but he was tiny, and played at under 200 pounds in college, then bulked up to 213 for the combine.

The last time I watched Scott ( I didnt see his bowl game), he was terrible in the biggest game of his college career, the ASU-UA rivalry. He fumbled and threw an INT in the fourth quarter which led to 14 ASU points and UA lost. He was very average the whole game, threw for 230 and had 3 TDs, 3 INTs and the crucial fumble.

I don't mind Scott and think he has some potential. But Foles beat out Scott three consecutive years, including the year that Scott started out ahead of him and then was benched for poor play. You also seem to totally disregard Scott was a turnover machine. He had 27 Tds and 14 INTs, that's not all that good. He also was a good runner, but he was tiny, and played at under 200 pounds in college, then bulked up to 213 for the combine.

The last time I watched Scott ( I didnt see his bowl game), he was terrible in the biggest game of his college career, the ASU-UA rivalry. He fumbled and threw an INT in the fourth quarter which led to 14 ASU points and UA lost. He was very average the whole game, threw for 230 and had 3 TDs, 3 INTs and the crucial fumble.

Just so you know, I'm for the Bills getting a modern NFL QB prospect so it's not just all Matt Scott, I'd also be happy with Smith or Manuel. As for Scott's turnovers, he only threw 4 more than Nassib. I think that's an ok stat for it being his one and only year starting. To me, it's a sign of his rawness. He did have over 500 yards rushing and 6 rushing TDs. That's the dynamic part of the game that guys like Nassib, Barkley and Wilson don't and will never have.

I look at his games with Stanford, USC and his bowl game and see a street tough kid who's a "baller" and who exhibits that will to win. He is raw, but to my eyes he has everything that I want in the Bills' next true franchise QB. I just don't see that mental toughness in Smith and Manuel so that's why I like Scott better as a prospect and I hope the Bills draft Patterson (or even Austin who I'm warming up to) at #8 and Scott at #41. The let him sit for the full year and learn under Kolb or Jackson.

Just so you know, I'm for the Bills getting a modern NFL QB prospect so it's not just all Matt Scott, I'd also be happy with Smith or Manuel. As for Scott's turnovers, he only threw 4 more than Nassib. I think that's an ok stat for it being his one and only year starting. To me, it's a sign of his rawness. He did have over 500 yards rushing and 6 rushing TDs. That's the dynamic part of the game that guys like Nassib, Barkley and Wilson don't and will never have.

I look at his games with Stanford, USC and his bowl game and see a street tough kid who's a "baller" and who exhibits that will to win. He is raw, but to my eyes he has everything that I want in the Bills' next true franchise QB. I just don't see that mental toughness in Smith and Manuel so that's why I like Scott better as a prospect and I hope the Bills draft Patterson (or even Austin who I'm warming up to) at #8 and Scott at #41. The let him sit for the full year and learn under Kolb or Jackson.

Watch this game. Would you draft this guy? His biggest game of his college career? At home? This is every play and he's absolutely pitiful. I forgot how truly bad he was.