Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Too slow? His 40 time is no representation about his ability to play QB. Jut like if he had a fast 40 time it wouldn't make him a sure thing. Ask Breese, Brady and both Mannings about if being fast makes you a great QB? Can he move in the pocket, escape pressure and buy more time? I care about those things more than how fast a QB can run in a straight line.

Too unathletic? How? Because he isn't fast?

Lacking arm strength? You couldn't be an more wrong. Nassib's arm strength should never be questioned.

So basically, you're just going to throw around baseless and completely false accusations about his game to come to some ridiculous conclusion about his potential?

Oh please, they're not baseless.

Slow speed...

He was timed above 5 seconds in his 40yd and he was slower than 12 offensive lineman at the combine.

Poor arm strength...

I watched the full game videos of Nassib's horrible deep throws. I watched his embarrassing Senior Bowl performance. The NFL will crowd the line and put eight in the box all day with this guy. No run game no deep passing game. BTW, I can give you a handful of articles on Nassib's questionable arm strength starting with Todd McShay and Bucky Brooks if you'd like.

Unathletic...

The guy is a body builder. He looks very stiff when moving around. He has no natural looseness that you see with all the great QBs. Even the drop back guys.

This suddenly crazed Ryan Nassib hype is starting to become bigger than what happened with Blaine Gabbert.

Edited by 1billsfan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This suddenly crazed Ryan Nassib hype is starting to become bigger than what happened with Blaine Gabbert.

Well seeing as this thread was started in early January with the first post being about trading back and taking him in the first, as well as a thread on the college board started in November where the 3rd post mentions him as a first round pick I don't think it is very sudden. He has been on many people's radar all year.

Matt Scott on the other hand. Now there is someone that NOBODY was talking about at the end of the year and until the underwear olympics.

Well seeing as this thread was started in early January with the first post being about trading back and taking him in the first, as well as a thread on the college board started in November where the 3rd post mentions him as a first round pick I don't think it is very sudden. He has been on many people's radar all year.

Matt Scott on the other hand. Now there is someone that NOBODY was talking about at the end of the year and until the underwear olympics.

You do realize that both Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson were the SIXTH QBs taken in their respective drafts? As much as you guys want to dismiss him, Matt Scott does in fact have the same kind of skills as them. Same kind of attitude. It's very likely that this 2013 draft will yet again be a repeat of dumb NFL teams taking the "talked about" QBs like Smith, Manuel, Nassib and Barkley and not taking the guy who will be the real "rock star" QB talent just like what happened with Kaepernick and Wilson. I wouldn't be so dismissive of Scott. It's happened two years in a row and Scott's the guy who's a pretty good fit for the same storyline.

You do realize that both Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson were the SIXTH QBs taken in their respective drafts? As much as you guys want to dismiss him, Matt Scott does in fact have the same kind of skills as them. Same kind of attitude. It's very likely that this 2013 draft will yet again be a repeat of dumb NFL teams taking the "talked about" QBs like Smith, Manuel, Nassib and Barkley and not taking the guy who will be the real "rock star" QB talent just like what happened with Kaepernick and Wilson. I wouldn't be so dismissive of Scott. It's happened two years in a row and Scott's the guy who's a pretty good fit for the same storyline.

If you mention Russell Wilson as a comparable prospect to Matt Scott because he was taken in the third round, where Scott may be headed, or because there were other QBs taken ahead of him, I, or someone I know, will find out where you live, hunt you down, and murder you.

Expect it when you least expect it. :death:

Wait, wait, let me get this straight. The GMs that passed on Russell Wilson for the "talked about" guys are dumb? So, you think picking Andrew Luck and/or RG3 was dumb? You think picking Cam Newton or Andy Dalton was dumb?

Or are you really saying that every year some players that are drafted later end up being better than some players that are drafted earlier? Because that argument at least holds merit.

If every single team passes on a guy (like, say Russell Wilson), it doesn't make every GM dumb. All it says is that one team had the foresight to pick him before anyone else thought he should be picked. That one team gets credit; criticizing the rest of the NFL as dumb just doesn't make sense.

Wait, wait, let me get this straight. The GMs that passed on Russell Wilson for the "talked about" guys are dumb? So, you think picking Andrew Luck and/or RG3 was dumb? You think picking Cam Newton or Andy Dalton was dumb?

Or are you really saying that every year some players that are drafted later end up being better than some players that are drafted earlier? Because that argument at least holds merit.

If every single team passes on a guy (like, say Russell Wilson), it doesn't make every GM dumb. All it says is that one team had the foresight to pick him before anyone else thought he should be picked. That one team gets credit; criticizing the rest of the NFL as dumb just doesn't make sense.

I was just replying to someone who's dismissive of Scott because he hasn't been "talked about" much. Kaepernick's problem was that the NFL was still wary of these running QBs fitting into the NFL. Wilson's problem was that he was considered way too short for NFL standards. Scott's problem is his very short track record to evaluate him on and his obvious rawness. I think Scott is this year's Kaepernick and Wilson. For differing reasons obviously, but that's how I see it. The Bills did bring him in for a visit so I hope the lack of talk on him is actually a good thing. The less talk and rumors might mean the more interest they actually have in him.

Edited by 1billsfan

I watched all of those Gruden's QB Class or whatever...and I wasn't impressed by Nassib so I'm surprised that Gruden was. Maybe it comes more from watching his game tape and how he played in multiple pro style offenses and how he was smart enough to call plays at the line etc. That would be the "upside" that Gruden is talking about that the other QB's don't have.

If Buffalo agrees and is really that high on Nassib then they need to do something in Round 1 to get him. I don't think he will last past the Jets in Round 2. I see Buffalo is putting the word out there that they are all of a sudden very high on Tavon Austin. Might be a smoke screen to lure in the Bucs to offer up their pick at 13 plus another pick for our pick. Then with the 13th pick maybe we could trade down again with another team a few picks down that are looking to move up. I'd be ok with getting Nassib late in Round 1 while also adding 2 additional picks!

You do realize that Matt Scott had nowhere near the collegiate career of either of these 2 right?

Kaepernick :

As a sophomore Kaepernick became just the fifth player in NCAA history to pass for 2,000 yards and rush for 1,000 or more yards in a single season.

He finished the 2009 season with 2,052 passing yards and 1,183 rushing yards. He became the first player in NCAA history to record back-to-back 2,000/1,000 yard seasons.

Kaepernick is the only quarterback in the history of Division I FBS college football to have passed for over 10,000 yards and rushed for over 4,000 yards in a collegiate career. Kaepernick is also the only Division 1 FBS QB to have passed for over 2,000 yards and rushed for over 1,000 yards in a single season three times in a career (consecutively).

Wilson:

Wilson broke Andre Woodson's all-time NCAA record of 325 consecutive pass attempts without an interception against Gardner-Webb. The 379-pass streak ended in a game against Wake Forest on October 3.

The Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) named him the first-team All-ACC quarterback. It was the first time in the conference's history that a freshman quarterback was named to the first team.

during the 2011 season, in which he set the single season FBS record for passing efficiency (191.8) and led the team to a Big Ten title and the 2012 Rose Bowl.[2] Wilson received the Big Ten Quarterback of the Year award and was named a consensus first-team All-Big Ten and third-team All-American by Yahoo! Sports

Now for your boy Scott:

Scott was the starting quarterback entering the 2009 season. He got the Wildcats off to a 2-0 start in the 2009 season, however in the third game of the season against Iowa he was pulled in favor of backup Nick Foles. Scott played poorly against Iowa completing only four passes and throwing an interception for a total of 50 yards

During the 2011 season Scott redshirted while Foles would start every game. Foles played close to every snap and a backup quarterback was rarely used.

So the other two were multiple year starters with lengthy track records of success and Scott had one year of production. I don't even hate Scott I just think that him being a mobile mid round projected qb in no way makes him the same prospect as Wilson or Kaepernick. I wasn't being dismissive of him either just pointing out that your argument against Nassib fits Scott very well.

You do realize that Matt Scott had nowhere near the collegiate career of either of these 2 right?

That exact point has been argued with him ad nauseam by several (not sure how many, but it's a lot) board members over the past month or so...He's never going to stop that comparison no matter how much logic you throw at him...Many have tried to get him to see the light on the Kaepernick and Wilson comparisons with Scott...All have failed to get him to stop...So good luck... ;)

I watched all of those Gruden's QB Class or whatever...and I wasn't impressed by Nassib so I'm surprised that Gruden was. Maybe it comes more from watching his game tape and how he played in multiple pro style offenses and how he was smart enough to call plays at the line etc. That would be the "upside" that Gruden is talking about that the other QB's don't have.

If Buffalo agrees and is really that high on Nassib then they need to do something in Round 1 to get him. I don't think he will last past the Jets in Round 2. I see Buffalo is putting the word out there that they are all of a sudden very high on Tavon Austin. Might be a smoke screen to lure in the Bucs to offer up their pick at 13 plus another pick for our pick. Then with the 13th pick maybe we could trade down again with another team a few picks down that are looking to move up. I'd be ok with getting Nassib late in Round 1 while also adding 2 additional picks!

Yeah I would love if they are somehow able to trade down and pick up an extra later 1st rounder and take him there if they are gonna take him.

That exact point has been argued with him ad nauseam by several (not sure how many, but it's a lot) board members over the past month or so...He's never going to stop that comparison no matter how much logic you throw at him...Many have tried to get him to see the light on the Kaepernick and Wilson comparisons with Scott...All have failed to get him to stop...So good luck... ;)

As great of college careers Kaepernick and Wilson had, they still got drafted behind the likes of Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Weedon, and Osweiler. Scott's huge strike against him is his only one year of starting. I've fully acknowledged that Scott has a very small sample size to evaluate him on. I also acknowledged that he's a raw talent. With that said, what I've also pointed out and will continue to point out is that Scott does in fact have the same skill set as both Kaepernick and Wilson. He's fast, he's extremely mobile, he can throw on the run, he's got a lightning fast release, he's tough minded and he's very competitive. Not that it matters, but I'll just note that Scott beat Wilson's cone drill times at the combine. He's true "diamond in the rough" stuff.

This getting offended by comparisons that are clearly visible on video is ridiculous. Scott's raw, but he's got the skills they both have with the big difference being is that unlike them he just needs along period to sit and learn. I'd much rather wait on a raw QB with franchise ceiling like Scott, than to pick the comfy security blanket Nassib who has a much lower ceiling.

Yeah I would love if they are somehow able to trade down and pick up an extra later 1st rounder and take him there if they are gonna take him.

Trade down is a huge gamble that he will still be there and trading back into the first would leave the Bills with probably only 3rd, 5th and 6th rd. Pix left in the draft. If the Bills want Nassib bad enough, why not just draft him at #8?

Edited by Dr. Trooth

Trade down is a huge gamble that he will still be there and trading back into the first would leave the Bills with probably only 3rd, 5th and 6th rd. Pix left in the draft. If the Bills want Nassib bad enough, why not just draft him at #8?

because they can possibly trade their #8 to tampa (so tampa can get Tavon Austin ahead of the Jets) and get tampa's #13 + their 2nd or 3rd round pick as well perhaps. so they can still get Nassib plus also get another free pick. picking him at #8 would be stupid because nobody projects him to be taken that high. even #13 would be a huge reach.

the more picks we can get in this draft the better. it has been said that there are not a lot of big name guys this year but what there is is a lot of depth at all of the positions. so a 3rd or 4th round pick might not be that much worse or even on the same level as the 1st or 2nd round guys. the more picks the better so lets trade down when possible!

Edited by kdiggz

because if you read what I wrote above they can possibly trade their #8 to tampa (so tampa can get Tavon Austin ahead of the Jets) and get tampa's #13 + their 2nd or 3rd round pick as well perhaps. so they can still get Nassib plus also get another free pick. picking him at #8 would be stupid because nobody projects him to be taken that high. even #13 would be a huge reach.

the more picks we can get in this draft the better. it has been said that there are not a lot of big name guys this year but where there is is a lot of depth at all of the positions. so a 3rd or 4th round pick might not be that much worse or even on the same level as the 1st or 2nd round guys. the more picks the better so lets trade down when possible!

The thing is, the Bills don't know, no one knows, what other teams think of Nassib. Some very highly regarded evaluators think Nassib is #1 or #2 rated QB overall. And the number is growing lately now that these guys have had time to watch all of the tape on all of them. If a team that needs a QB, and there are a bunch of them, thinks the same thing as these particular guys like Lande, Cosell, Jaworski, Gruden, etc, Nassib could go anywhere from #5 on down.

Just because the McShays of the world think he may be a reach at #8 doesn't mean a GM in desperate need of a QB isn't willing to gamble. It happens every year. I don't even like Nassib that much but I think he's a better prospect than Christian Ponder.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/22083960/diamonds-in-the-rough-2013-is-matt-scott-the-next-russell-wilson

"A year ago I listed Russell Wilson in this space and it is precisely because of the success that he, Robert Griffin III and 2011 second-round pick Colin Kapernick had a season ago that I anticipate Scott contending for a spot within the first 100 picks of the 2013 draft. Like these three young NFL stars, Scott is a dual-threat at the quarterback position and one who demonstrated touch, velocity and accuracy..."

Now who'd you rather shoot for in terms of drafting the Bills next franchise QB, the next Russell Wilson or the next Andy Dalton? That's how I view the decision.

The thing is, the Bills don't know, no one knows, what other teams think of Nassib. Some very highly regarded evaluators think Nassib is #1 or #2 rated QB overall. And the number is growing lately now that these guys have had time to watch all of the tape on all of them. If a team that needs a QB, and there are a bunch of them, thinks the same thing as these particular guys like Lande, Cosell, Jaworski, Gruden, etc, Nassib could go anywhere from #5 on down.

Just because the McShays of the world think he may be a reach at #8 doesn't mean a GM in desperate need of a QB isn't willing to gamble. It happens every year. I don't even like Nassib that much but I think he's a better prospect than Christian Ponder.

There isn't that much of a difference in talent between the best overall QB and the 5th best. There is a lot of depth. I have seen rankings that have the top 5 in every possible order you can think of. Nobody can agree. If by some freak occurence Nassib isn't there at 13 if the Bills made the trade I suggested with Tampa, they will stil have Manuel, Barkley, and possibly even Geno to choose from. Nobody knows how these guys will pan out as pros but as it sits they are all pretty much equal in talent and I'd rather have either of those guys plus an extra 2nd round pick. 2 starters for the price of 1. There's no way Nassib is worth the #8 pick unless they expect him to step in and be the starter/savior day 1

as far as the gruden qb class goes, we saw the edited 20 minutes plus commercials that espn put together. we have no idea what was said or done when the cameras were off or what got left on the cutting room floor. so i have to think that the reasons that gruden likes this kid are much more than what we were privy to.

and as far as the trade down scenerio, who wouldn't want more high picks in addition to getting the guy you want anyway. the problems with that i believe are twofold...

one, there is no guarantee that if you trade down the guy you want will be available when you do get to pick.

and two, if everyone and their brother are connecting the syracuse dots, then the thinking must be that if you want nassib you better hop up in front of the bills to get him. and the further down you go, the lower the cost of jumping up becomes.

2b. the jets are right behind us and are trying like hell to get rid of every qb on their roster, and if nassib, or any qb, is your target and you get cute and trade down and the jets get your guy...that's a kick in the marbles i don't want to take.

There isn't that much of a difference in talent between the best overall QB and the 5th best. There is a lot of depth. I have seen rankings that have the top 5 in every possible order you can think of. Nobody can agree. If by some freak occurence Nassib isn't there at 13 if the Bills made the trade I suggested with Tampa, they will stil have Manuel, Barkley, and possibly even Geno to choose from. Nobody knows how these guys will pan out as pros but as it sits they are all pretty much equal in talent and I'd rather have either of those guys plus an extra 2nd round pick. 2 starters for the price of 1. There's no way Nassib is worth the #8 pick unless they expect him to step in and be the starter/savior day 1

the question i have is which qb is best suited for the offense the bills are going to run. i have no idea if it's nassib or not, but if it is, how much of a drop is it to the next guy or the guy after that?

They may expect him to. I have no idea. I'm torn myself about Geno and Nassib, and don't think I personally want either at #8. But that said, I don't think I'd mind if the Bills took either of them at #8 because that would mean to me that Marrone absolutely loved this kid and thinks he's going to be a star. We have to bet on Marrone being a good judge of talent or we're screwed no matter what. So if the Bills choose a guy at 8, they absolutely love him and I will support that until that player, whoever it is, proves to be lousy.

I hope it's not Barkley they like, and doubt it is, but everyone has their favorites and hateds, and not even Ozzie Newsome, the best in the biz IMO, could tell you whether or not any of them are going to be good, great, fair, or crappy. He will be right about some and wrong about others.