Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Not real impressed with the USC game film, to be honest.

His mechanics (and flight of the ball he throws) seem more like a baseball pitcher than an NFL QB to me...

Remember this was the nationally-televised season kickoff game at a neutral site (Meadowlands). Not sure how many offenses/QBs look good out of the chute underthose circumstances. And he did improve as the game went on.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember this was the nationally-televised season kickoff game at a neutral site (Meadowlands). Not sure how many offenses/QBs look good out of the chute underthose circumstances. And he did improve as the game went on.

And for what it's worth, USC is the much more talented team.

And for what it's worth, USC is the much more talented team.

Which is why I wanted to see that game. I don't care about Big East opponents, frankly.

He seems one-dimensional to me, even if it's the start of the season against a quality opponent at a neutral site. There are no easy games in the NFL and I'm sure the Pats won't lie down for whoever's under center on September 8th...

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I was a bit disappointed with Hackett's scheme. I was expecting a Kelly-era version of the K-Gun but it seemed to be just another Oregon State-like spread offense with WRs that flood the field.

The K-gun I remembered was pretty balanced (two outside receivers, a slot guy and the TE) and didn't rely on bunch formations or a lot of pick action like Hackett's scheme, which also emphasizes a lot more rhythm passing by Nassib than Kelly-style drop back throws.

If anything, Jimbo Fisher's scheme for Manuel reminded me more of the old K-gun:

Problem is that you are looking at Nassib only. Look at the top 5 QBs... which Nassib is included. Now look at the talent each is surrounded by. Which QB had the least talent? Nassib wins out big time. You won't find any A listers around him and only one B lister. He played with a 250 lb. Center, receivers that had 4.7 speed, 3 different running backs, all of which missed games due to injury. Played w/o his LT Pugh for half the season. He ran the attack he ran out of necessity. He didn't have the horses to run this this so called "K" gun attack you mention, which was called the "K" gun, not because of Jim Kelly, but was actually named that because of Keith McKeller, a TE that could get down the seam...opening things up for Thermal and the guys in the slot and outside.

Hackett never ran a K gun. He didn't have a TE that could get more than 15 yds. Downfield, let alone 30 yds. Hackett ran a dink and dunk west coast offense with twists. There was no home run threat for Nassib and Hackett. A lot of throws were into tight windows. It had to ne that way and it couldn't have happened w/o a qb that had a quick mind, quick release, and was a coach on the field. Just to give you an example of the dropoff at QB behind Nassib. Charlie Loeb was his backup for 3 years and should have been the starter this coming season. He has a powerful arm, yet he got beat out by a soph this spring and is likely to be a #3 come Sept.

Lastly... look at the careers of Jake Locker selected @ #8 in 2011 and Ryan Tannehill selected #8 in 2012. Nassib's blows their numbers away... even though he had nowhere near the talent around him those other two had.

So... how far fetched would it be to see Nassib selected at #8 this year?

Which is why I wanted to see that game. I don't care about Big East opponents, frankly.

He seems one-dimensional to me, even if it's the start of the season against a quality opponent at a neutral site. There are no easy games in the NFL and I'm sure the Pats won't lie down for whoever's under center on September 8th...

I don't know the storyline as well as others Lurker but I guess in week 3 or 4 Marrone/Hackett changed the offense and that's when Nassib's performance really started to kick in.

I believe that's the story.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I was a bit disappointed with Hackett's scheme. I was expecting a Kelly-era version of the K-Gun but it seemed to be just another Oregon State-like spread offense with WRs that flood the field.

The K-gun I remembered was pretty balanced (two outside receivers, a slot guy and the TE) and didn't rely on bunch formations or a lot of pick action like Hackett's scheme, which also emphasizes a lot more rhythm passing by Nassib than Kelly-style drop back throws.

If anything, Jimbo Fisher's scheme for Manuel reminded me more of the old K-gun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC6E52F8rtA

I honestly havent looked that closely at it. I do think they really have only had it for one season, it was college, they may not have had the requisite parts on the Cuse team, and I really don't think they were trying to emulate it, but rather fuse elements of the Saints O, the K Gun and the recent read-option stuff into a hybrid.

I don't know the storyline as well as others Lurker but I guess in week 3 or 4 Marrone/Hackett changed the offense and that's when Nassib's performance really started to kick in.

I believe that's the story.

The offense was changed two weeks before the season. The problem wasn't Nassib... it was the lack of talent around him. He was on a different level... it took half the season for the rest of the offense to catch up to him and what they were doing. Once Pugh, his LT, got back after midseason and protected Nassib's blind side, that's when Nassib was at his best.

FYI, Nassib is:

Greg Cosell's #1 QB

Gruden's #1 QB

Russ Lande's #1 QB

Jaworski's #2 QB

ProFootballWeekly's #2 QB

He will be a 1st-rounder.

The Bills have to take a shot at franchise qb. Even if Luck or RG3 were in this draft, the Bills would not have a shot at getting them. They are always bad, but not bad enough for that #1 pick. This year, there is an opportunity to get the guy that some top analysts say is the #1 and others say #2 qb in the draft. How could any fan be upset with their team for taking a chance on this guy? Nassib is my preference, but I will be happy if they pick any of the top 3 rated qbs at 8.

The fact of the matter is that their are as many misses as their are hits in the drafting process. Probably more misses than hits. When it comes to a franchise qb, the target is even smaller and harder to hit. But the Bills need to keep pulling the trigger on promising qbs in the first round of the draft until they finally get a franchise qb,

How can any fan be mad at the Bills for taking a chance on this guy? Especially, a qb who is regarded by many respected experts as the #1 qb in the draft. Hes closed out close games, has better stats than qbs drafted at around number 8 in previous years, worked with the current coaching staff for 4 years, played really well considering the amount of talent around him, and the list goes on.

One thing ive noticed from watching him play is he does throw an accurate football 25 yards down field. I havent seen him throw many bombs, because I dont think he ever had the time with that horrible O-line. His o-line was awful, and his receivers dropped alot of passes. The best is yet to come for this guy. He made something out of nothin at Syracuse.

FYI, Nassib is:

Greg Cosell's #1 QB

Gruden's #1 QB

Russ Lande's #1 QB

Jaworski's #2 QB

ProFootballWeekly's #2 QB

He will be a 1st-rounder.

Okay, I see Barkley was the kid Jaws had as the #8QB -I get these scrub rookies confused sometimes. :lol:

Well I would strongly think they think that Nassib is the most NFL ready now because of his knowledge of the offense. We just don't know the extent of Marrone's affection for him, and we may not ever know unless they take him at 8. Marrone may really like him a lot, and the Bills may gamble on a trade up. But if they can't make it happen they may take someone else, and then they will publicly say he was our guy all along even if it is not really or even remotely true.

I keep hearing this "most NFL ready" QB and wonder why Bills fans want the "most NFL ready" QB. With the starting QB position it's about picking the QB who has the potential and high ceiling to be a superstar franchise QB that can win you a Superbowl or two or three. Unless you're picking Luck or RGIII, it's more about what they will become in two years.

I keep hearing this "most NFL ready" QB and wonder why Bills fans want the "most NFL ready" QB. With the starting QB position it's about picking the QB who has the potential and high ceiling to be a superstar franchise QB that can win you a Superbowl or two or three. Unless you're picking Luck or RGIII, it's more about what they will become in two years.

Well he'll definitely get the fastest start here in Buffalo knowing the coaches and system already. It'll also help with his stading in the locker room, as he'll be a go-to guy for others on the offense with questions on it.

Probably because the Bills play in the NFL. But that's just a guess.

Even though my personal preference is Nassib, I cant help but get this weird feeling that the Bills are going to take Barkley. I will be ok with whoever they decide to take at qb, because nobody would know these qbs better than coaches coming from college who have played against them. And if they pass on Nassib, then they have a good reason to since they coached him for 4 years and know what hes about.

Im keeping my fingers crossed that Nassib is the guy. But I might have to get over my fear of USC qbs...

Agree 100%. Ryan Fitzpatrick was a very NFL ready QB because he was smart. I'm no Kolb fan but I'll for him starting while they let a talented rookie learn for a bit. I don't hate RN and saw some flashes but I really believe Marrone maximized his celing and could do wonders with a more physically talented QB.

Most ready should mean, well, "most ready." Ready to start games and be a productive NFL quarterback. For the Bills, because of the offense, that guy is almost inarguably Nassib. It doesn't at all mean or even infer anything about being a star or having the most potential. For all other teams there would be some debate as to whether it was Barkley, Nassib, or Geno depending on who you liked better. For most pundits, it seems that Barkley is often called the most ready, For the Bills, there is really no question.

Agree 100%. Ryan Fitzpatrick was a very NFL ready QB because he was smart. I'm no Kolb fan but I'll for him starting while they let a talented rookie learn for a bit. I don't hate RN and saw some flashes but I really believe Marrone maximized his celing and could do wonders with a more physically talented QB.

I couldn't agree more. I'm really hoping for either Smith, Manuel or Scott and to have that QB sit for a year and be ready in 2014 to get the Bills back on top of the AFC where they belong.

I don't hate RN and saw some flashes but I really believe Marrone maximized his ceiling and could do wonders with a more physically talented QB.

I agree with you. There are certain throws that are specific to the NFL game that I just didn't see enough of from Nassib on video.

I'm talking about dropping the ball into the wideout's hands on 20-yard outs or corner end zone routes by throwing over the underneath coverage--rather than pitching a fastball as hard as you can throw like most of Nassib's passes. That's a skill the Brady's, Manning's, Rodger's of the world (and even Russell Wilson) excel at.

The only QB in this year's class that I've seen make that type of throw consistently is Manuel. While he's not as NFL-ready as Nassib or Barkley, he's got the arm skill to be more effective than either of these 'game manager-types' over the long haul, IMO...

Edited by Lurker

I agree with you. There are certain throws that are specific to the NFL game that I just didn't see enough of from Nassib on video.

I'm talking about dropping the ball into the wideout's hands on 20-yard outs or corner end zone routes by throwing over the underneath coverage--rather than pitching a fastball as hard as you can throw like most of Nassib's passes. That's a skill the Brady's, Manning's, Rodger's of the world (and even Russell Wilson) excel at.

The only QB in this year's class that I've seen make that type of throw consistently is Manuel. While he's not as NFL-ready as Nassib or Barkley, he's got the arm skill to be more effective than either of these 'game manager-types' over the long haul, IMO...

This is where I am at as well. There is only 1 QB in this draft that I know for sure can make "all the throws", and that is Smith.