Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Watch this game. Would you draft this guy? His biggest game of his college career? At home? This is every play and he's absolutely pitiful. I forgot how truly bad he was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6lieb9Fmq0

three things I notice about Scott

1) often times there are two defenders disputing a pass, this could be that he stares his receivers and doesn't go through his progressions

2) he likes to throw off his back foot a lot, he rarely steps into his throws (we are talking here when he has the time) It's like he is throwing fade passes all over the field.

3) when he steps into his throws the ball tends to go high

I like his athletic ability and he seems to be a good thrower on the run, could use some ball security and develop more muscle. He's nowhere near the prospect Nassib is, this is a guy you take a chance late in the draft.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch this game. Would you draft this guy? His biggest game of his college career? At home? This is every play and he's absolutely pitiful. I forgot how truly bad he was.

I admit he's raw. Obviously there's going to be a clunker in there. However he was 4-2 in his previous six games before that including putting 48 in an overtime loss to Stanford and 39 points in a big win over USC. Yes, that Arizona State game was his last regular season game, but he was a true "circle the wagon" QB in the fourth quarter of his bowl game. Youtube the three games I mentioned...Stanford, USC and the bowl game. Those are the ones where I see potential NFL greatness. Hey, we are all dug in at this point. There's no changing anyone's mind, right?...lol

Look. A lot of where a qb is drafted depends on how his skills translate to the drafting team's offense that will be run.

Ex. Nassib would not be a consideration for Philly... Manuel and Smith would. In Cleveland with Norv Turner at OC, Glennon & Bray would be a fit based on the history of offenses his run. For a team running a wc offense, Nassib, Barkley, & Wilson would be the best fit.

So... for the Bills, who will be running a wc "no huddle" up tempo offense, what qb is the best prepared to do that?

I'm in no way making a prediction of which qb they will draft, or when. I'm just looking at the offense we know the Bills will run and looking at the skill set of each qb and marrying their skills up with the team's offense based on that. If I'm wrong, big deal. I've been wrong a lot and on a lot of things, but I've been right too.

In my opinion, based on the logic I'm using (right or wrong), I believe Nassib is the one.

three things I notice about Scott

1) often times there are two defenders disputing a pass, this could be that he stares his receivers and doesn't go through his progressions

2) he likes to throw off his back foot a lot, he rarely steps into his throws (we are talking here when he has the time) It's like he is throwing fade passes all over the field.

3) when he steps into his throws the ball tends to go high

I like his athletic ability and he seems to be a good thrower on the run, could use some ball security and develop more muscle. He's nowhere near the prospect Nassib is, this is a guy you take a chance late in the draft.

I obviously feel the opposite is true. To me, Nassib's limited physical skills simply don't translate to the NFL. Seeing where both Nassib and Scott go will be very interesting. I feel like Scott is the "stealth" QB prospect who will shock a lot of people where he ends up going. The reason I give is that I think the NFL is going through big changes and it's new way of thinking could be way ahead of how the media types think in this regard.

I obviously feel the opposite is true. To me, Nassib's limited physical skills simply don't translate to the NFL. Seeing where both Nassib and Scott go will be very interesting. I feel like Scott is the "stealth" QB prospect who will shock a lot of people where he ends up going. The reason I give is that I think the NFL is going through big changes and it's new way of thinking could be way ahead of how the media types think in this regard.

Scott is intriguing. And someone will select him. However, he's not ready to step in as a starter immediately or at some point during this season on any NFL. Nassib is... and certainly if he's drafted by the Bills. Scott will need at least a year and probably more. So a team that has a competent starter would be a good candidate to draft him... not a team that needs a qb now.

Scott is intriguing. And someone will select him. However, he's not ready to step in as a starter immediately or at some point during this season on any NFL. Nassib is... and certainly if he's drafted by the Bills. Scott will need at least a year and probably more. So a team that has a competent starter would be a good candidate to draft him... not a team that needs a qb now.

Unlike the QB debates here with regards to the two QBs before Fitzpatrick, I feel that the debates over these QB draft prospects have at least remained respectful. I understand why you guys like Nassib, I even liked him after my first review of his videos. However, I just see the successes of Kaepernick and Wilson and feel like this style is the future of the NFL and I really see this kind of potential with Scott. There's obviously no changing of minds at this point. I think we just need this draft to get here already so we know who the Bills really do want...lol

Edited by 1billsfan

What limited physical skills are you referring to?

What limited physical skills are you referring to?

I think that at the NFL level he's too slow, too unathletic and is lacking in arm strength to become a franchise QB. To me he's a game manager type prospect, not a true franchise QB type prospect. I think his ceiling is that of a QB who's possibly a step below an Andy Dalton level of QB.

I think that at the NFL level he's too slow, too unathletic and is lacking in arm strength to become a franchise QB. To me he's a game manager type prospect, not a true franchise QB type prospect. I think his ceiling is that of a QB who's possibly a step below an Andy Dalton level of QB.

I think Nassib throws the ball significantly harder and can throw it further than Andy Dalton. There really isn't much question about his arm strength. When he is criticized for not being able to throw the long ball it is always because people see him either inaccurate with it, or he lofts it way up in the air by choice, and not a good choice, and it hangs in the air too long. His arm is easily strong enough to "make all the throws." Dalton can barely do that, and relies on his smarts and game management skills as you say. I don't see Nassib as that kind of player at all. He doesn't have a rocket but he can throw.

I think Nassib throws the ball significantly harder and can throw it further than Andy Dalton. There really isn't much question about his arm strength. When he is criticized for not being able to throw the long ball it is always because people see him either inaccurate with it, or he lofts it way up in the air by choice, and not a good choice, and it hangs in the air too long. His arm is easily strong enough to "make all the throws." Dalton can barely do that, and relies on his smarts and game management skills as you say. I don't see Nassib as that kind of player at all. He doesn't have a rocket but he can throw.

I agree.

I view Nassib as a better prospect than Dalton although I understand the comparison.

Now I'm very down on Matt Barkley unlike many here and I view Barkley as being more similar to Dalton.

JMO.

And in fact, Barkley does have a weaker arm than Dalton.

Too slow? His 40 time is no representation about his ability to play QB. Jut like if he had a fast 40 time it wouldn't make him a sure thing. Ask Breese, Brady and both Mannings about if being fast makes you a great QB? Can he move in the pocket, escape pressure and buy more time? I care about those things more than how fast a QB can run in a straight line.

Too unathletic? How? Because he isn't fast?

Lacking arm strength? You couldn't be an more wrong. Nassib's arm strength should never be questioned.

So basically, you're just going to throw around baseless and completely false accusations about his game to come to some ridiculous conclusion about his potential?

Edited by Bangarang

I agree.

I view Nassib as a better prospect than Dalton although I understand the comparison.

Now I'm very down on Matt Barkley unlike many here and I view Barkley as being more similar to Dalton.

JMO.

And in fact, Barkley does have a weaker arm than Dalton.

Yeah. I would equate Barkley with Dalton as the kind of player and the strength of arm. I don't want the Bills to draft Barkley at all, and I have seen him a lot.

I think Dalton would have been terrible on the Bills, too.

Unlike the QB debates here with regards to the two QBs before Fitzpatrick, I feel that the debates over these QB draft prospects have at least remained respectful. I understand why you guys like Nassib, I even liked him after my first review of his videos. However, I just see the successes of Kaepernick and Wilson and feel like this style is the future of the NFL and I really see this kind of potential with Scott. There's obviously no changing of minds at this point. I think we just need this draft to get here already so we know who the Bills really do want...lol

All due respect to your assessment on Kaep & Wilson as the QBS of ghe future. I disagree. QBs that use their legs a lot don't typically go deep into the playoffs. Qbs take every snap. When they have to run a lot in addition to stay mentally sharp, over the course of a game they take unnecessary hits as well as overexert themselves. That takes its toll over the course of a season. Once your qb gets beyond the LOS he's fair game. And, in the case of RGIII we saw how that ended. The qb is a teams highest $$$ investment. Why would any coach subject his qb to unnecessary contact? That's a ticking timebomb.

Meanwhile, one of the most unmobile qbs in the league is wearing a ring. Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers... they're always near the top of league because of what is between their ears, not their legs and they play a long time and are elite.

I think most fans get all caught up in the measurebles of a qb and either totally ignore, overlook, or at the very least minimize the football mind, attitude, passion, command, and the other intangeables of a qb. That's what makes them elite. I've never seen Brady carve up a defense with his world class speed or rocket arm. But I have seen him school the hell out of them with pin point darts.

Too slow? His 40 time is no representation about his ability to play QB. Jut like if he had a fast 40 time it wouldn't make him a sure thing. Ask Breese, Brady and both Mannings about if being fast makes you a great QB? Can he move in the pocket, escape pressure and buy more time? I care about those things more than how fast a QB can run in a straight line.

Too unathletic? How? Because he isn't fast?

Lacking arm strength? You couldn't be an more wrong. Nassib's arm strength should never be questioned.

So basically, you're just going to throw around baseless and completely false accusations about his game to come to some ridiculous conclusion about his potential?

Good Post. I think you're spot on. The games I have seen him play in which is most of them throughout his college career he has made many good plays with his feet. He won't burn you with his speed but he has instinct and that can't be coached. His arm strength is probably one of his best attributes and IMO he has many.

I truly believe that Buddy Nix is stubborn enough not to let the "consensus" sway him one bit. Stubbornness is sometimes a great thing and sometimes a terrible thing.

I don't doubt that Buddy will do what he wants to do.

But what will be like fingernails on the chalkboard is the fallout from pundits (and TSW bomb throwers) if the Bills don't take him at eight and he goes to another team...

I don't doubt that Buddy will do what he wants to do.

But what will be like fingernails on the chalkboard is the fallout from pundits (and TSW bomb throwers) if the Bills don't take him at eight and he goes to another team...

Oh, agreed. I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you were implying that Buddy may not want to take him but may be swayed to take him because of the groundswell and possible fallout.

Besides, this is becoming a Flutie/Johnson thing already between pro-Nassibs and the con-Nassibs. If some other team takes him high, a huge portion will be calling for Buddy's head and just as huge a portion will think he was a genius for not taking that piece of garbage.

You also seem to totally disregard Scott was a turnover machine. He had 27 Tds and 14 INTs, that's not all that good.

I was always taught that a 2 to 1 TD to Int ratio is good. Has that changed? Or, did I receive bad information?

However, I just see the successes of Kaepernick and Wilson and feel like this style is the future of the NFL and I really see this kind of potential with Scott.

I disagree on this running QB of the future thing. I've been hearing ithat since the 1960s when Bobby Douglas rushed for 1000 yards as a QB. Heard it again with Randall Cunningham, and again with McNabb and Culpepperm and then Vick. Meanwhile, the pocket passers continue to bring home the hardware. I think there are about 5 of these new fangled running QBs. 2 didn't make it through the year un injured (Vick and Griffin). One threw a pick when the game was on the line in the divisional round. One's team went 7-9 and one went to the SB.

Your QB is the make or break position. Why do you want that guy running the ball and getting his head taken off by LBs? Makes no sense. They are exciting and fun, but please, give me an accurate pocket passer and some good WRs and we're on our way.

The new running QBs that are successful are not because they can run, but they can also pass well, like Wilson and Griffin. If he can run but can't pass very well, I have no interest. Accurate passing and good WRs is the key to success for NFL QBs.

Edited by reddogblitz