Those who like the Kolb signing post here

I like the Kolb signing, not that I think very highly of Kolb but I feel like he is good enough for us not to reach for a QB in the first two rounds. Kolb will be as good as the talent we put around him. With a much better QB class next year we can stock the talent around the QB this year and put a better QB in a better position to have success.

Find a decent guard in free agency, grab another LB, and then draft a WR and TE in the first two rounds, then spend the rest of the draft on defense and grab a young guard.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm indifferent. Bills corrected the error they made with Fitz. No, not the big contract, but tipping their hand way back in fall of last season that they are moving on from Fitz. That set a whole set of dominoes off. Teams knowing that Nix would be desperate at draft time. Fitz refusing to renegotiate, forcing Bills into an untenable cap position. And free agents refusing to sign with the team, due to lack of direction.

Now with Kolb on board, there's no reason appear to be desperate in the draft. This could also allay some fears that Bills would start the 2013 with a rookie or T Jax as the starter. Basically, they're at square one again, after being at square negative for a month.

Arizona started out HOT last year: 4-1. Coincidentally, Kolb was the starter for those wins. He got knocked out against the Bills, and it was all downhill from there.

He was a winner before he was hurt last year. Hopefully he can be a winner in Buffalo too (and not get hurt).

Arizona started out HOT last year: 4-1. Coincidentally, Kolb was the starter for those wins. He got knocked out against the Bills, and it was all downhill from there.

He was a winner before he was hurt last year. Hopefully he can be a winner in Buffalo too (and not get hurt).

Replace Kolb with Fitz and 2012 with 2011...

its a good move, with a chance to be outstanding- yes there is a chance it doesn't work at all but it's worth the risk. From NFL people everyone says Reid knows what to look for in a QB and Ken Whisenhunt is also very respected as an offensive coach - they both wanted him.

Meh....why not? Got a veteran QB for depth...possibly a starter until our drafted QB is ready to take over. Didn't have to give up any draft picks, and he got a very reasonable (Bills friendly) contract.

What's not to like? To those folks out there who are against this move, I ask you, which QB on the FA market would you rather the Bills have signed?

Exactly. What are the negatives? This move just gives us options. It really opens up our options in the draft most importantly because now the Bills arent forced to reach for a guy. I dont think he is the answer for a franchise qb, but who knows how good he could actually be? He played behind a terrible O line in AZ and Philly. At one point, he was a hot commodity around the NFL. He didnt stand a chance in AZ. But again, he wasnt signed to be the answer at QB, just a move to give us more options.

With only 6 picks in the 2013 draft and a common agreement among scouts and gms alike that this qb class is weak, it gives the front office options. There is an option to trade back and pick up more draft picks. Most importantly, the Bills will not be forced to draft a qb way ahead of what the guy is valued at.

I for one think Geno Smith and Matt Barkley will both be busts in the NFL. Geno might have the tools, but he is not a leader and sat on the sidelines w his head down during games when his team was down. He doesnt have "it". So now that the Bills have Kolb they can take a risk in round 2, 3, or later on a guy who has a higher ceiling and needs more polish.

Personally, I think the Bills will be drafting Ryan Nassib. The current coaching staff already has 4 years of work under their belt with this guy. That working relationship alone adds serious value. The communication and understanding between coach and quarterback after 4 years of working together gives Nassib a huge head start.

Exactly. What are the negatives? This move just gives us options. It really opens up our options in the draft most importantly because now the Bills arent forced to reach for a guy. I dont think he is the answer for a franchise qb, but who knows how good he could actually be? He played behind a terrible O line in AZ and Philly. At one point, he was a hot commodity around the NFL. He didnt stand a chance in AZ. But again, he wasnt signed to be the answer at QB, just a move to give us more options.

With only 6 picks in the 2013 draft and a common agreement among scouts and gms alike that this qb class is weak, it gives the front office options. There is an option to trade back and pick up more draft picks. Most importantly, the Bills will not be forced to draft a qb way ahead of what the guy is valued at.

I for one think Geno Smith and Matt Barkley will both be busts in the NFL. Geno might have the tools, but he is not a leader and sat on the sidelines w his head down during games when his team was down. He doesnt have "it". So now that the Bills have Kolb they can take a risk in round 2, 3, or later on a guy who has a higher ceiling and needs more polish.

Personally, I think the Bills will be drafting Ryan Nassib. The current coaching staff already has 4 years of work under their belt with this guy. That working relationship alone adds serious value. The communication and understanding between coach and quarterback after 4 years of working together gives Nassib a huge head start.

I agree with your post, with the possible exception of Geno Smith. I say possible because I only have access to the same film and same scouting reports that we all have seen. He certainly has the measurables in regards to size, arm strength and speed. His pocket presence at times looked fantastic. However, I can make no judgements of the other factors that would make him thrive or flop in the NFL. Hopefully, the Bills FO can.

The signing of Kolb is good in that it gives us flexibility in the draft, and we don't have to take whatever QB is available in the first round. I think we would have been in a worse position as a team if we went into the draft with T Jackson as our top QB on the depth chart. That's how teams end up forced to draft someone like Christian Ponder or Blaine Gabbert in the first round and then have to start them.

So those of us that like the move can discuss without the many bitching and whining about it posting their crap.

The guy was behind the worst OL in football the last two years and had no running game, something Buffalo actually DOES have both of. We add another WR and a TE (plus Chandler coming back) the guy can get the job done.

I am sick of the Fitz comparrisons, they just aren't the same guy. This guy was highly sought after 2 years ago for a reason, Fitz... no one come knocking down his door, ever. The guy has a good enough arm, is mobile enough and has played in a very complex offense (Philly).

Now are we still drafting a QB? Sure, but I really think this changes things. I think this move was made (Again just opinion) because Whaley and Nix both didn't think that much of the QB class and IF we took one, he would need a year on the bench to develop.

I see Patterson as the pick if he is there at #8 then a QB in the 2nd.

So, if I'm against the move I'm a bitcher and a whiner, but if I'm for the move I'm a reasonable person?

I agree with your post, with the possible exception of Geno Smith. I say possible because I only have access to the same film and same scouting reports that we all have seen. He certainly has the measurables in regards to size, arm strength and speed. His pocket presence at times looked fantastic. However, I can make no judgements of the other factors that would make him thrive or flop in the NFL. Hopefully, the Bills FO can.

The signing of Kolb is good in that it gives us flexibility in the draft, and we don't have to take whatever QB is available in the first round. I think we would have been in a worse position as a team if we went into the draft with T Jackson as our top QB on the depth chart. That's how teams end up forced to draft someone like Christian Ponder or Blaine Gabbert in the first round and then have to start them.

Yes, exactly. I am glad more people see the big picture when it comes the draft and allowing us some flexibility with the Kolb move. I am not a draft expert, and I havent watched much game film on Smith. From what Ive read and watched, the guy definately has all of the physical tools. But what I really want in a quarterback is a guy like Tom Brady or Montana, or Elway, who thrives on competition and that 4th quarter challenge. Eli Manning is another guy that comes to mind. As much as I hate Tom Brady (even though I respect his talent), you gotta love how calm and cool the guy gets when the game is on the line. He is a winner. Some guys thrive on that competition and lay it on the line

My concern with Geno is I saw alot of coverage of him on tv with his head down when his team was down. He didnt appear to be the type of qb to rally his guys for a win. Cam Newton is a great qb, but Im not sure he will ever win the big one in the NFL purely based on his leadership ability.He threw some hissy fits this year and his leadership ability came into question. The college game is a little different because one player can take over a game. Cam, VY, both loaded with talent and could take over the college game, but neither have proven to be leaders in the NFL.

Its all speculation and opinion on my end. One thing I do like about Nassib is the guy is a winner and a leader. Syracuse pulled out some really tight games this year, some in OT, some in the 4th quarter, and I think that leadership intangible is just something that is hard to measure.

So, if I'm against the move I'm a bitcher and a whiner, but if I'm for the move I'm a reasonable person?

I find this thread ironic in that usually I refrain from posting on a topic due to the high traffic of irrational negative posts......whereas I have refrained from posting on the Kolb topic due to the high traffic of irrational positive posts........yet a special thread gets created for it. Heh, go figure.

This doesn't bother me that much. A few years ago he looked really good in Philly. Hope he isn't a Trent double and never come back right after the injuries. If healthy, he could do some good things in a Bills uniform. But I'd still pull the trigger on Geno/Barkley RD1, Manuel, Nassib Bray, RD 2 or Glennon, Scott, Dysert in Rd3 if available. Would rather wait to RD 2 and grab a stud LB in Rd1.

Go get Kolb some targets, and some protection. -The guy will be absolutley fine.

Chan is gone, and the WORST QB I ever saw play is finally OFF THE TEAM.

Is our GM still an idiot? -Absolutely.

But our DC is legit, and the worst part of Marrone's offense at the 'cuse was Ryan Nassib's sketchy arm.

I'm stoked.

Playoffs, B!tches!!!!

Well I'm not so in love with Kolb I'm not convinced his being fairly terrible in Arizona is somehow fixed by joining...of all teams...us...however I am more interested in watching 16 games of this to at least see than I am Fitz again...so good move...and now we can hopefully pounce in the draft if ti comes but if it doesn't we can try Kolb...

My Sr prom date stiffed me, and went with somebody else who asked her after me....I went to see the Kinks instead!

BRAVO!!!!! I have a new found appreciation for your tastes. Back then a Kinks (Kleinhans?) concert was a better deal by far. Proms are overrated, and chicks into the Kinks would be ......well more fun.

This article gives me a tiny bit of hope for Buffalo Bill Kevin Kolb...good read from Bucky Brooks:

http://www.nfl.com/n...s-buffalo-bills

BRAVO!!!!! I have a new found appreciation for your tastes. Back then a Kinks (Kleinhans?) concert was a better deal by far. Proms are overrated, and chicks into the Kinks would be ......well more fun.

Yeah, not a bad consolation prize, in retrospect. Unfortunately, the show was at the Aud...but a good time was still had. The only rock shows I have ever been to, at Kleinhans was the Dylan "holy roller" tour (people walked out as he preached, and yelled things...I still thought he was great!) and Blondie (Debbie Harry was the ****, for me, at 14!)...great sound...I remember my older sister going to see the Kinks at Kleinhans a few years earlier.

Edited by Buftex