Those who like the Kolb signing post here

So those of us that like the move can discuss without the many bitching and whining about it posting their crap.

The guy was behind the worst OL in football the last two years and had no running game, something Buffalo actually DOES have both of. We add another WR and a TE (plus Chandler coming back) the guy can get the job done.

I am sick of the Fitz comparrisons, they just aren't the same guy. This guy was highly sought after 2 years ago for a reason, Fitz... no one come knocking down his door, ever. The guy has a good enough arm, is mobile enough and has played in a very complex offense (Philly).

Now are we still drafting a QB? Sure, but I really think this changes things. I think this move was made (Again just opinion) because Whaley and Nix both didn't think that much of the QB class and IF we took one, he would need a year on the bench to develop.

I see Patterson as the pick if he is there at #8 then a QB in the 2nd.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not in love with it but unfortunately it's the best option. My only issue with Kolb is that he is injury prone. He got hurt in Philly alot and it continued in Phoenix. I realize both lines are terrible but it's my opinion that he doesn't have enough pocket awareness to avoid the Sacks. Kolb needs to see the blitz coming and from where so he can avoid the hit.

Kolb has had some good games don't get me wrong. I think he has a good arm as well. I worry that he has taken to many shots especially to the head for him.

He's a stop gap, retrend type QB. The Bills need to draft a guy and groom him. Unfortunately none of the QB's are a must have in this draft.

Liked the signing, was definitely the best we could do without giving up a pick. A bunch of people freaked out at the 2 yr/13 mill but that's with incentives, the actual cap hit is certainly much lower than 6.5 mill per year. Totally agree about the O-line and running game being terrible so its unfair to judge him solely on what he did in AZ. Normally I think James Walker from ESPN is a clown but he made a good point in a post today about how he got sacked 57 times in 15 games with the Cards and Fitz only had 30 in 16 starts last season.

I think he can do the job, I know I am in the minority but I have seen guys turn it around with better lines and coaching esp if they had a running game. But yeah we are going to take a QB at some point, I think this points more to Nassib with a move back into the first.

Now I read Geno has another meeting with Bills this week but unless we move up to #2 he isn't going to be there.

Meh....why not? Got a veteran QB for depth...possibly a starter until our drafted QB is ready to take over. Didn't have to give up any draft picks, and he got a very reasonable (Bills friendly) contract.

What's not to like? To those folks out there who are against this move, I ask you, which QB on the FA market would you rather the Bills have signed?

I think people on this board forget that we will be running a West Coast Offense. A QB whose strength is WCO has to be a good thing. Kolb is strictly a West Coast Offense QB. He struggled in AZ partly because of the horrid OL, but he was a bit out of place in that offense. Another WCO QB was Jeff Garcia. After some really good years for the 49ers, remember when Garcia played in Cleveland & Detroit in traditional offenses? He was brutal. Everybody thought he was washed up, & went to Philly as a backup and thrived in their WCO.

I keep hearing that Kolb over Fitz is a lateral move at best. Nobody knows how Fitz would've adapted to the new offense, he may have been even worse. I personally think Chan's offense masked Fitz's deficiencies.

I like the move, but mainly because it affords the front office the option of drafting a blue chip player at #8 instead of being forced to take a QB like Nassib or Manuel out of necessity. I'm hoping we take a QB in the 2nd.

I'm on board for a few reasons:

-- There's at least a chance he'll be an improvement (vs. another year of Fitz)

-- They didn't have to take on Flynn's salary (or Flynn -- who has proven nothing in the NFL)

-- I'm not sold on any of the QBs in this draft being able to step in day one.

I'd rather they address a different need at #8 and look for a QB on day 2.

I realize both lines are terrible but it's my opinion that he doesn't have enough pocket awareness to avoid the Sacks.

Good post. Here is some reason for hope. He was sacked at half the rate with the eagles than cardinals

Team Att sack pct

Phi 285 19 6.7%

Ari 436 57 13%

i like it !!

worst case scenario: it's a one year deal and they cut em.

best case scenario: he finally gets his chance and shines.

although i still want them to draft a QB in 1st or 2nd round, this signing gives them options.

i'm all about finding a Franchise QB.....until then, everything else is spinning your wheels.

To be fair, I absolutely hated the move when I first heard about it. But, when looking at all of the stats, what it looks like to me is that he was being critically misused in AZ. I would submit that if you looked at CJ Spiller's total rushing yards it works out to 75 a game. It sounds mildly impressive until you look at his yards/ attempt and see that he did it with 80 less snaps than anyone ahead of him.

I have this same attitude with Kolb. His best years were in an up tempo Eagles offense, with Andy Reid style offense. Immediately after going to AZ he starts doing awful. The number I like to look at are this: he took 9 sacks against the Rams, and then took 6 sacks against us. In the end, AZ gave up nearly twice as many sacks as us.

In the end, I think that at worst, he's a lateral for Fitz. After that, he's a stopgap while a rookie QB gets ready. With luck, he's the guy AZ thought they were getting.

Why not? His highlight reel or the few times I've seen him play, I have never seen him throw a dirt ball, or throw a pass 5 feet over the head of a 6'7" TE. What's his taste in cool T-Shirts? That's the question.

Did you miss the Bills/Cards game this past season? I keed, I keed! :lol:

I hate the signing...would feel better with Tavaris as the backup to a rookie. If this in anyway changes how we are drafting a QB (ie we are now passing I'm round 1 for a later "project qb") then we are absolutely spinning our wheels. If we don't end up with Geno, Barkley, Nassib or Manual then I will be very upset.

To be fair, I absolutely hated the move when I first heard about it. But, when looking at all of the stats, what it looks like to me is that he was being critically misused in AZ. I would submit that if you looked at CJ Spiller's total rushing yards it works out to 75 a game. It sounds mildly impressive until you look at his yards/ attempt and see that he did it with 80 less snaps than anyone ahead of him.

I have this same attitude with Kolb. His best years were in an up tempo Eagles offense, with Andy Reid style offense. Immediately after going to AZ he starts doing awful. The number I like to look at are this: he took 9 sacks against the Rams, and then took 6 sacks against us. In the end, AZ gave up nearly twice as many sacks as us.

In the end, I think that at worst, he's a lateral for Fitz. After that, he's a stopgap while a rookie QB gets ready. With luck, he's the guy AZ thought they were getting.

That is the approach I am taking. If we get him playing like "good Fitzpatrick" for 10 or 11 games out of the season, I can live with it. I just still have so many questions about the Bills offense this coming season. Not so much who is playing, and depth, but just the style of offense. Is it assumed we will have a "West Coast" style offense? If that is the case, that is the type offense that Kolb did well in, while with Philly. So there is that...