Is Kyle Williams going to undergo surgery?

I'm sorry but you guys are just making this stuff up. He did not have a tear like what most people seem to be thinking here. He has the same injury he had 2 years ago. Bones spurs. When he had surgery to remove the bone spurs the 1st time, the surgery was very successful. Last thing most of us heard was that he was going to have surgery for the same thing, only is other foot. The thing is, bone spurs are very painful when you are using your 300lb frame to crash into other 300lb bodies. How bad does it damage the bottom of your feet? Every case is different. My guess, in Kyle's case is that it's not so serious that he can't come back healthy by training camp. Even in a worse case scenario, it's still not a career ending injury.

What the hell is all of this "his career is over" talk? Kyle will be back. Get real, people. When people don't know the full details about something, why do they feel the need to blow smoke up everyone's arses with ridiculous rumors?

Did he have surgery or not?

If not - he's doing the same thing that made him play poorly when his first boo-boo foot bothered him. (hat tip to krayonz)

Is that's what's in store for him and us this year?

I think we've got a right to know based on what happened in the past, and what they said at the end of last year with respect to his fall off in play.

Is he injured or not? Does he have a nagging issue or not? Did he get it corrected or not?

It's a relatively simple thing for the team to address.

There are two relevant issues regarding Kyle Williams.

1) Did/have the Bills done what is necessary to return the player to good health ASAP?

2) What if any obligation does the team have in disclosing his physical status to those outside the team?

To the first point I'm sure the team's and player's objectives go hand-in-hand in this case and that they have/will act in their best interests, whatever that is. Presumably sooner is better and the surgery if necessary has already been performed.

To the second point, it's debatable whether the team has any obligation to keep media and fans apprised. The NFL is strict about injury reporting during the season but there are no rules governing injury disclosure during the offseason that I'm aware of. Also the new regime seems to be pretty tight-lipped about everything so even though I don't think there's any competitive advantage to be gained by keeping Williams' health status a secret it wouldn't surprise me if the Bills prefer not to talk about it.

Hopefully Chris Brown will respond to the queries originating here. Possibly one of the reporters who covers the team will press the question.

There are two relevant issues regarding Kyle Williams.

1) Did/have the Bills done what is necessary to return the player to good health ASAP?

2) What if any obligation does the team have in disclosing his physical status to those outside the team?

Hopefully Chris Brown will respond to the queries originating here. Possibly one of the reporters who covers the team will press the question.

Hi SJBF,

The Bills had an article about the condition and its likely need for surgery in early January Linky

There is a right to privacy about medical conditions. Given that Kyle/the Bills already waived this right and disclosed his physical status and likely need for off-season surgery and stated that it impacted him last season, it seems odd that they wouldn't follow-up.

I don't think "have the Bills done what is necessary to return the player to good health?" is quite the right question. If there's a broken leg or a completely torn tendon or ligament, the best treatment choice is likely clear-cut. There is always some subjectivity in evaluating a non-critical condition and deciding whether surgery or rest is the best option; the team's physicians can recommend treatment, but ultimately, it's up to the player to make the decision and if the team doesn't agree it's the best option they can call the Turk (see Merriman, Shawn; Edwards, Dwan).

Email I found for questions: AskChris@bills.nfl.net

Twitter: ChrisBrownBills

Did he have surgery or not?

If not - he's doing the same thing that made him play poorly when his first boo-boo foot bothered him. (hat tip to krayonz)

Is that's what's in store for him and us this year?

I think we've got a right to know based on what happened in the past, and what they said at the end of last year with respect to his fall off in play.

Is he injured or not? Does he have a nagging issue or not? Did he get it corrected or not?

It's a relatively simple thing for the team to address.

Technically the bills CAN'T owe us detailed medical updates. Further the bills don't really owe us much at all, though there are things we would like.

We are simply fans, not shareholders

Hi SJBF,

The Bills had an article about the condition and its likely need for surgery in early January Linky

There is a right to privacy about medical conditions. Given that Kyle/the Bills already waived this right and disclosed his physical status and likely need for off-season surgery and stated that it impacted him last season, it seems odd that they wouldn't follow-up.

I don't think "have the Bills done what is necessary to return the player to good health?" is quite the right question. If there's a broken leg or a completely torn tendon or ligament, the best treatment choice is likely clear-cut. There is always some subjectivity in evaluating a non-critical condition and deciding whether surgery or rest is the best option; the team's physicians can recommend treatment, but ultimately, it's up to the player to make the decision and if the team doesn't agree it's the best option they can call the Turk (see Merriman, Shawn; Edwards, Dwan).

Email I found for questions: AskChris@bills.nfl.net

Twitter: ChrisBrownBills

I'm not exactly sure what your point is but my full take on the situation includes my comments later in the thread.

…. To the first point I'm sure the team's and player's objectives go hand-in-hand in this case and that they have/will act in their best interests, whatever that is. Presumably sooner is better and the surgery if necessary has already been performed.

So I'm speculating in this case that their interests are common. Maybe so maybe not. But that's my speculation.

BTW, the only plausible scenario right now where the team and player are at odds is if it's a case where one side feels surgery is the best option while the other side feels that rest and rehab (treatment) is the best option.

Presuming that both sides are happy with the previous surgery and that this current issue is very similar to the previous one, one could presume that both team and player will take the same road this time around.

I would be surprised if the team and player are at odds on this but maybe they are.

my opinion is that he's done. Haven't liked him or wanted him on this team in over 2 seasons. I don't think he's good. I think he takes the same type of career that Hanson, Schobel had. Good enough for Bills fans to think they are really good, but the rest of the league really doesn't.

I put the 2nd part in there saying he might benefit from Mario and Dareus being the main contributors and Kyle reaps some of the rewards. But I really don't see that happening.

Rags your obviously living in some alternate universe where Kyle Williams hasn't been our best player on defense the past 3 seasons.

Signed big contract....got a boo boo foot.....had surgery.....other foot has a boo boo......if he gets surgery again he is out of boo boo feet. The only way to go is to say that he thought it would heal on its own....then have surgery....it all helps by getting paid more of the big $$$ on that contract by extending it as far as his boo boo feet will take him.

Thanks for posting that.

I assumed that surgery had been done but it's nice to get confirmation.

Yes, that is excellent news. And good job by Kyle to "Bruce" his way out of practice.

Here is Chris Brown's quote for those interested.

"Yes, Kyle Williams did have surgery on his other Achilles in mid-February. He’s still not cleared to participate in any way at this time just three months removed from surgery. So it’s clear, much like his surgery last year it was not a ruptured Achilles that can take up to a year to heal. Instead it was a frayed Achilles. In such an instance doctors detach the Achilles, repair and strengthen, then lay it back down and re-attach it. Rehab last year was about five months."

I added some question marks to make it clear the poster was asking a question, not providing information.

Aside from creating a completely different title (which I'm not comfortable doing to others' posts/threads), is there another way I could have made it more clear?

Nice job Simon

Blinders? What blinders? You mean the "he made the pro bowl last year" blinders? I guess the coaches and players who voted him into the pro bowl are wearing blinders too.

The Pro Bowl is an absolute joke and defending a player for making it is an even bigger one

• 3 weeks later...