Buffalo one of the 5 weakest rosters

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with the ranking which is why the following is true.

1) We have a small salary cap problem as we have heard on this sight...tells me our Front Office is bad. since we are drafting poorly and paying too much for many players. (see mario as #1). Can anyone tell me who we are overpaying...to be in that trouble..it must be everyone...and the only reason I can think of is we are bad managers and no one wants to play for the Bills without being overpaid, which leads back to the bad FO.

2) The biggest strength we had was the Oline and we allowed that to be hurt and become week with the loss of Levitre and Rinehart. We draft Levitre, he plays well and almost every game for 4 years...and we allow ourselves to create another hole because we over pay for Mario, Fitz, (I know he is gone now).

Anyone disagree

Regarding the salary cap, I think it comes back to the bills being bad. For example, if you are an NFL starter, you want to be paid like an NFL starter. The Starters on the Bills though would be backups on half of the other teams in the league, if not 3/4s. But still, since they are starters, we pay them like that. So because we cant draft and constantly suck, we get stuck paying backup quality players starting salaries.

For a while, Kelsay was the 2nd best DE on the team. That is such a sad and sorry statement but its true. So guess what, he was paid like a starting LDE, who was the 2nd best DE on his team, even thought he should ave earned a third of what he was making.

I look at the lack of depth or well.. the lack of positions filled. But I have to admit. I am a little excited to see what our coaching staff comes up with. When was the last time we had such a high tempo offense kind of coach. He is all offense and I love it. I can care less if our QB, G, WR and LB starters are all rookies. I am excited to see what he does.

And this my friends is what is called "blind optimism". Excited about a coach that has not done anything yet, unconcerned about the lack of talent, not concerned about FA signings or draft selections. Just excited by the possibilities of their own imagination unencumbered by the harsh realities of facts and history because the new coach has no real history as a NFL head coach to contradict their imagination. Sort of like a young child on Christmas or Easter, waiting for the Easter Bunny to bring them candy and Santa to bring them presents.

funny how a few months ago we were hearing, including from Buddy himself, how much deeper the roster is now from when he took over... even with suggestions that now we could afford to package picks to move up since we weren't in such dire need of talent. now, somehow, we have holes everywhere. and it's true, we do.

as for RT, put it this way.. we need better play at RT. Pears stinks, sorry. i still have a little hope for Hairston or Sanders (since we haven't really seen him play... he was awful in camp and to start preseason, but a little better before hurt). but compared to real team? yeah, it's a weak spot. acceptable when we had a top LG to bolster the O-line talent, but it's going to be a real tough go for a QB if you have 2 weak spots on the line, and are just okay at a couple more.

the bright side is if we hit on a QB, we probably jump 15 spots in the rankings.

I would agree with the ranking which is why the following is true.

1) We have a small salary cap problem as we have heard on this sight...tells me our Front Office is bad. since we are drafting poorly and paying too much for many players. (see mario as #1). Can anyone tell me who we are overpaying...to be in that trouble..it must be everyone...and the only reason I can think of is we are bad managers and no one wants to play for the Bills without being overpaid, which leads back to the bad FO.

2) The biggest strength we had was the Oline and we allowed that to be hurt and become week with the loss of Levitre and Rinehart. We draft Levitre, he plays well and almost every game for 4 years...and we allow ourselves to create another hole because we over pay for Mario, Fitz, (I know he is gone now).

Anyone disagree

I totally disagree with everything you've said. Everything!

1) "We have a small salary cap problem" - Wrong

2) "Paying too much for many players" - Wrong. Definition of many is majority or a large number. You can't name 10% of our players we're "over paying". In fact you said "Can anyone tell me who we are overpaying...to be in that trouble..it must be everyone".

3) "No one wants to play for the Bills without being overpaid" - Wrong. Stevie took a very reasonable salary.

4) "and we allow ourselves to create another hole" (with letting Levitre go) - You chastise our FO for being fiscally irresponsible so that players who normally wouldn't want to play here will. Then want to over pay a guard? Is this your plan for getting us out of the "salary cap problem"?

We are a team void of a quarterback. I'd argue we are in better shape than other teams that have decided on a QB but they just haven't admitted he's not the one to lead them .... yet. We have made that decision and are in a position to try again. We are in excellent financial standing. We are also a team that has a lot of talent which in years past wasn't the case. This front office has done a good job, not great, but a good job of building a viable team. With a solid QB we can win now, and with a good QB could go to the playoffs.

Edited by Triple Threat

We are a team void of a quarterback.

Yes, QB is a giant chasm. The article points out the team has holes at WR, TE, G, and T. It also points out that the defense was a horror show last year and has gotten weaker with holes at LB, SS, and CB. Some might argue semantics on a couple of those positions, but the fact is all of those positions are either unmanned at the moment or filled with question marks.

I'd argue we are in better shape than other teams that have decided on a QB but they just haven't admitted he's not the one to lead them .... yet. We have made that decision and are in a position to try again.

Kudos to the Bills. Desperation makes an environment conducive to sound decision making.

We are in excellent financial standing.

That explains why the Bills are free agency bystanders (to this point at any rate).

We are also a team that has a lot of talent which in years past wasn't the case. This front office has done a good job, not great, but a good job of building a viable team. With a solid QB we can win now, and with a good QB could go to the playoffs.

Methinks you didn't read the article. Unfortunately, the "lot of talent" has more fizzle than pop. Spiller was exciting, but an individual isn't a mob.

We are also a team that has a lot of talent which in years past wasn't the case. This front office has done a good job, not great, but a good job of building a viable team. With a solid QB we can win now, and with a good QB could go to the playoffs.

Last year, against two very good teams, 49ers and Seahawks, the Bills gave up 47 and 50 points. Over the past three years the Bills have been almost incapable of beating teams with a winning record. The record of the Bills during Nix's tenure is 16 -32. His drafts for the past three years have focused on the defense. Our defensive rankings is near the bottom of the NFL.

The Bills have a number of issues beyond the qb issue. They are far from being a serious playoff contending team. You need to trust your eyes more than your heart.

Last year, against two very good teams, 49ers and Seahawks, the Bills gave up 47 and 50 points. Over the past three years the Bills have been almost incapable of beating teams with a winning record. The record of the Bills during Nix's tenure is 16 -32. His drafts for the past three years have focused on the defense. Our defensive rankings is near the bottom of the NFL.

The Bills have a number of issues beyond the qb issue. They are far from being a serious playoff contending team. You need to trust your eyes more than your heart.

I never said we were capable of beating super bowl contending teams nor did I say we are close to being a serious playoff contending team. I know you want to get emotional but try to trust your eyes and not your heart. I said we are a viable team (that means capable), and have enough talent with a QB that could win. Of course we have holes and some are gaping, but I think most teams do. Not the super bowl contending teams but the good teams trying to get there have them. I also realize that what I'm saying is conjecture and can't be proven but with all do respect so is this article and everything you've said. We just don't know what kind of team we would have if we had a QB. I'm of the opinion that with one we could win.

We just don't know what kind of team we would have if we had a QB. I'm of the opinion that with one we could win.

I'm not quite as optimistic as you.

The offense needs at a minimum a QB, a deep threat WR, and a competent catching and blocking TE.

As far the the defense goes, with few exceptions every area except the line is suspect at least.

The Bills have done little during free agency, either by design or just not being able to get anyone signed. And they have 6 draft choices.

I'm inclined to call this another rebuild year and not expect much while Marrone and company get their feet under them and try and fill some of the holes much more than I would say the Bills are just a QB away from being competitive.

Buffalo is listed as number 4 of the 5 weakest rosters going into the draft. They list (1) Jacksonville, (2) Oakland, (3) New Jersey Jets behind us; and (5)San Diego ahead of us. The article pointed out the deficiencies at LB, CB, and WR which I agree with. But I don't feel we're in need of a RT. Your thoughts?

I think #4 is about right, maybe even tied for #3 with the Jets would be accurate. Just goes to show you the poor job Nix as done as GM of this team. This team was a mess when he took over, but I guarantee you they wouldn't have been ranked as bad as they are now on this list. Kinda a little excited to see what this new coaching staff can do, but my fear is they are handcuffed because of the worthless performance of the GM. Think about it, this team was coming off of three straight 7-9 seasons,which was pathetic, but in the 3 seasons since Nix took over, they have never even won 7 games in a single season. That is even worse then pathetic. Edited by BuffBill

[/color]

Methinks you didn't read the article. Unfortunately, the "lot of talent" has more fizzle than pop. Spiller was exciting, but an individual isn't a mob.

Youthinks Spiller is our only talented player? Now that doesn't even have fizzle, that's a 2 liter of pop sitting open on the counter for a Month. I think we have a better roster than most think and it's lazy and easy to just say we don't.

I never said we were capable of beating super bowl contending teams nor did I say we are close to being a serious playoff contending team. I know you want to get emotional but try to trust your eyes and not your heart. I said we are a viable team (that means capable), and have enough talent with a QB that could win. Of course we have holes and some are gaping, but I think most teams do. Not the super bowl contending teams but the good teams trying to get there have them. I also realize that what I'm saying is conjecture and can't be proven but with all do respect so is this article and everything you've said. We just don't know what kind of team we would have if we had a QB. I'm of the opinion that with one we could win.

What does being a viable team mean in a system designed for parity? No one is talking about being a SB caliber team, at least I'm not. You are bringing up a red herring. Over the past three years of Nix's tenure the Bills have almost not been able to beat teams with winning records. What does that tell you as far as being a measuring stick? What does a 16-32 record tell you in comparison to the rest of the leauge? That success is right around the corner? Let's get real here.

I'm far from being emotional when I bring up the simple fact of the team's record over the past three years. Are the Bills better? That is a meaningless question? The issue isn't how much the Bills improved so much is how improved are they against their competitors.

You point out that the both of us are simply conjecturing about the Bills. When I point out the team's record under Nix I am not conjecturing. I am stating facts. You don't win one game out of every three games you play because you have a robust roster. You win at that paltry rate because of a roster having a lack of talent in a wide array of positions.

Edited by JohnC

Lack of depth at *every* position. Lack of starting skill at *most* positions.

I'll be surprised if we don't finish with the worst record in the league this year, personally.

With regard to the claim that the Bills have a salary cap problem, they are 8th best in the league with regard to the amount of cap space available. Can we put that argument to rest? http://profootballta...as-of-march-26/

We have to hold on to a good chunk of that for rollover next year, though.

Nix and company have notinspired anyone with their off season actions...or lack thereof. Once you purge your roster after consectutive losing seasons, it is expected that you would try to sign some free agents to help rebuild your team. They have not. No question that a QB is needed. TJ was drafted to be a deep threat and he now gets a chance to prove it with a different coaching staff. I disagree with the authors assertion that they are short at safety. I still opine that Aaron WIlliams will shift over there. McKelvin is not the answer at CB, that was a head scratcher. Levitre wanted more money than the Bills could ever offer. LB corps is young (Bradham, Sheppard, White etc) and the interior Oline is thin. There is time to sign a few budget friendly players and draft to fill needs. I appreciate Nix tried his best but he was a reluctant hire and those usually never pan out. Time for new blood at GM too. Overall the Bills are hurting but 4th worse? I will say they are in the bottom 10 in the league.