Buffalo Bills huge competitive advantage is ....

Trader

The undrafted ones. Post the April draft there will be 100 or so quality athletes that go undrafted. Some of those players will go on to have long and outstanding careers in the NFL. Some of them will play in the pro bowl. The Buffalo Bills will have more opportunities for such athletes than 90% of the other teams in the league. The Bills leadership needs to start banging the drums now with the agents that influence these players to make the Bills the preferred destination for such players. This regime needs to have the most successful UDFA signings in Bills history this season. Out recruiting the competition should be among the top goals for the front office this season.

Q: Isn't this generally a HUGE advantage for the Bills every year? Really?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is iron in your words of sarcasm for all Bills fans to see.

No post/sig line can hold the iron. It must come from Bills fan.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

I'm glad you posted this subject Trader.

One of the things that's been on my mind lately is how successful college coaches have been lately at building up NFL programs.

You look at the work that Harbaugh and Carroll have done and while I don't have the figures to back it up, it's my impression that they've done a very good job in drafting and signing undrafted free agents.

I'm thinking/hoping that because Marrone and Company coached, coached against, recruited, and scouted (for gameplanning purposes) many of these players that they might have a bit of an advantage on some of the teams which have established NFL staffs.

Just a thought I've been kicking around for awhile.

Right, but Harbaugh and Carroll were at major programs trying to compete for national championships. Coaching staff orange was at, well, Syracuse -- competing for the upstate NY championship against Colgate, Army, UB, and Cornell.

Not many NFL'ers where competing against Syracuse--at least not nearly as many as USC and Stanford were seeing.

The undrafted ones. Post the April draft there will be 100 or so quality athletes that go undrafted. Some of those players will go on to have long and outstanding careers in the NFL. Some of them will play in the pro bowl. The Buffalo Bills will have more opportunities for such athletes than 90% of the other teams in the league. The Bills leadership needs to start banging the drums now with the agents that influence these players to make the Bills the preferred destination for such players. This regime needs to have the most successful UDFA signings in Bills history this season. Out recruiting the competition should be among the top goals for the front office this season.

Why will have an advantage over the other 90%

Why will have an advantage over the other 90%

1. From a talent prespective The Bills are in the bottom third. 2. In addition they have a net loss of players by a wide margin in the off season. 3. The Bills have only 6 draft picks.

The Bills have more holes to fill on this roster than they did prior to the start of last season and they have lost more players than most teams via free agency. It figures that the Bills have a lot of job openings. The Bills look to be in the thick of the race for the number one pick in the draft next season.

1. From a talent prespective The Bills are in the bottom third. 2. In addition they have a net loss of players by a wide margin in the off season. 3. The Bills have only 6 draft picks.

The Bills have more holes to fill on this roster than they did prior to the start of last season and they have lost more players than most teams via free agency. It figures that the Bills have a lot of job openings. The Bills look to be in the thick of the race for the number one pick in the draft next season.

And Buddy still has a job, and took a 7-9 to a 6-10 team within 3 years, and he's going for more. Plus we have NO QB. Possibly worst Bills G.M. in 20 years.

Jabari Greer cam in as an undrafted FA. There are players who can have great careers but they are long shots. The fact that there s even a thread about this indicates we are in rebuilding mode again.

There is no question about it the Bills are in full rebuild mold. They are blowing it up and starting over. There are three teams with 5 picks to the Bills 6. One of them is New England. http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2013/nfl_draft_order_full.cfm. Every one has signed a lot more free agents than the Bills. As of now the bills are dead last in talent acquisition. Yes it could change before the draft but if 32 teams were horses in a race you would be cursing your bet on the Bills.

Right, but Harbaugh and Carroll were at major programs trying to compete for national championships. Coaching staff orange was at, well, Syracuse -- competing for the upstate NY championship against Colgate, Army, UB, and Cornell.

Not many NFL'ers where competing against Syracuse--at least not nearly as many as USC and Stanford were seeing.

Good point.

Still I'm hoping for some residual advantage to our staff having coached in college the year before.

We've had some pretty good pickups after the draft is over. Jason Peters, Jabari Greer come to mind. WR's Nelson and Jones more recently.

Our scouting department hasn't really found any gems in awhile though, draft or otherwise. Its amazing the difference between college and pro football, and how many stellar collegians simply can't adjust and do well at NFL speed. I have zero confidence in our ability to assess players based on our track record in Buffalo--it must be harder than it seems.

I'm praying we don't reach for a QB this year just because we need one. Too many needs on this team to whiff at the 8th pick. I honestly think they're going to take Nassib in the 2nd which worries me greatly.

So, what's the message? "Hey, we suck so we may have a place for you!"

That's what I am thinking.... And by having a bad team you become a more attractive option to the players who weren't good enough to get drafted?

Is there any appreciation for how many UDFA's you must have to sift through to hit on a probowler?

Ugh talk about a losing proposition.

that's what you should have put in your original post

Still I'm hoping for some residual advantage to our staff having coached in college the year before.

It's the right time of year for hope. But the past 13 soul sucking seasons make it harder and harder to muster much hope. Particularly with another rebuild cycle starting.