Just some speculations, rumors and predictions.....

As another NFL draft and season is slowly approaching us I felt the need to try to once again to anticipate what our brain trust at OBD are plotting to do. Needless to say that it rarely ever goes the way that I hope it will but I still give them the benefit of the doubt. Let me start with a disclaimer right from the beginning. What I'm about to post is strictly my thoughts, opinion, hopes and dreams and is only meant for a dual purpose. One is for some input from other posters' for their ideas and opinions on what may lie ahead of us and secondly for entertainment purposes only. Let me go on record as stating that I have long ago had a bellyful of past administrations and the false optimism that this franchise is so successfully good at at delivering to the masses. Needless to say that being a Bills' fan I still get sucked in every year, if I want to or not. I think that only Bills' fans truly understand what I'm trying to say here. Well, anyways, let's get started.

As I look towards the draft I wonder just what might happen. The Bills have more needs than most teams and have a lot less resources to fill them. If that's not enough our biggest need is at the QB position, the most important position on a team. To make matters worse draft picks are at a premium for us due to the fact that we only have 6 of them. For this reason and this reason only I can't fathom the Bills trying to move up in the draft or for them to be drafting 2 QBs, neither scenario makes sense to me. Desperation and need is a terrible combination for successful results. Have you ever heard the saying that scared money never wins? It's true more times than not and it is usually used in reference to gambling. This franchise has been too inept for way too long and I definitely don't think that they should be gambling.

Let me go on record as saying that I don't want the Bills to draft a QB at the #8 pick. This year is a weak class for QBs and for us to gamble our first pick on one, at least at the #8 spot, would just be a bad bet. The top one or two QB might be gone by then on top of that. Are we suppose to pin our hopes and aspirations on a middle of the pack QB from a weak class??! If the Raiders don't take Geno Smith at #3 then don't assume that he gets past the Eagles. He fits perfectly for what new Coach Chip Kelly wants in a QB. The whole Eagles' staff went to go see him at his Pro Day and that included owner Jeff Lurie. The one and only time that Lurie did that was when he went and checked out Donovan McNabb.

No, the sensible thing to do is to try and accumulate the most draft picks that we can and the best way to do that is by trading down in the 1st rd. Now, who could be a good trade partner for us? Who knows, your guess would be as good as mine, especially because there are so many variables that are involved. With that being said I think that Alabama's CB Dee Milliner could hold a key for us. Depending how the early part of the draft unfolds there is a very good chance that Milliner will fall to us. If so Tampa is desperate for a quality CB and they are sitting at #13. A trade back with them and for their 2nd rd (#43) pick and their next year's 4th rder would be reasonable in my opinion. Now, if something like that were to happen I think that we should accomplish 2 things with that pick at #13 and that would be to draft for one of our needs with the best player available, which would be the best player at his position and in turn that would be WR Cordarrelle Patterson.

I still wouldn't want to use either 2nd rd picks (our #41, Tampa's #43) on a QB unless our Powers To Be were rock solid confident that the prospect was worthy of such a pick (Nassib/Manuel?). Otherwise I would like to see the Bills continue to address their needs with the best player available at their position. If he were still available at #41 I would like for us to take TE Zach Ertz. Does a LB at #43 make sense? I don't know but it's a good pick and I sure hope that Buddy doesn't piss it away. What I'm getting at with my mock scenario is that QB isn't our only big need it's just the most important and I don't believe that we have great and/or secured prospects to choose from. Look, we are at the top of each round for a reason and that is because we sucked. Now, I rather that we were successful and picked at the end of the rounds but that's not the reality of it but I also don't want to repeat this crap again next year.So in my mind the best way for us right now is to address ALL of our needs instead of just sweating the biggest one with lesser talent to choose from.

After addressing and filling some of our other pressing needs with our first 3 picks (#13, #41 and #43) if the Bills were to concentrate on what QB that they think that could be developed I think that there could still be talent that hasn't dipped drastically from the #3 QB on down. Names like Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, Landry Jones, Zac Dysert, etc. etc. If one really wanted to stretch and take one in the mid to late rds then there is the likes of Matt Scott, Sean Renfree and Brad Sorensen to choose from and if you really want a sleeper then there is always Jeff Tuel and Kyle Padron. Having Tavaris Jackson and adding a FA like a Kevin Kolb with one of the above prospects is not the most hateful scenario, no matter what we do I think that it's not going to be the greatest of results. If none of the 3 QBs (Jackson, draft prospect X and a FA) that I mentioned can't step up and get the job done then we can always get our potential franchise QB in next year's draft when there is better quality to choose from. In the meantime let's build a team. What would be wrong with that?

Fwiw, there are plenty of other teams that are either looking for a starting QB or looking for a back-up to develop. I mean how many of you believe that Bruce Arians and the Cardinals are happy with the likes of Drew Stanton and Brian Hoyer??! There is so much posturing and lying before the draft that it's actually insulting. Do you realize that the only QB on the Saints' roster is Drew Brees? Btw, I expect them to make a move for KC's LT Branden Albert just before the draft. That's another team with only 6 draft picks and they have a rotten defense. Sean Payton isn't thrilled with the LT position after their LT Bushrod split in FA. They really don't have enough ammo to move up in the draft, they lost their 2nd rder in the "Bounty Gate", so they can't really get one of the elite LTs in the draft. They would be better off spending their 1st rder (#15 overall) on defense anyways. I know KC is looking for a 2nd rder in this year's draft and another pick but why can't the Saints' 3rd rder this year and a conditional pick in next year's draft work? Don't think that KC isn't anxious to rid Albert off of their books. He's tagged for 9+ million dollars and they can spend half of that on Luke Joeckel. There is also the Raiders, Eagles, Jaguars, Jets and Cleveland, all potential suitors for QBs, not to mention who might be considering developing a back-up QB. t's still being rumored that New England still might trade Ryan Mallett to Mike Lombardi & Co over in Cleveland and if that happens they'll be in the market for a back-up. Maybe that's why they had Jeff Tuel in for a visit in the last couple of days.

Once again I admit that I don't know what the Bills are going to do, since Marrone they have been tight lipped about everything but I do expect them to really shock us, I really do and it's not because I want them or that I'm hoping for that. Matter of fact I think that they are really throwing us a huge smokescreen. I think that they definitely have something that nobody is talking about or expecting. It's almost like they are deliberately announcing and parading all these expected QB prospects in front of everybody. I think that it's all bs. I don't think that they are really going to try and fit a square into a circle, I don't think that they can afford too. Let's face, everybody knows that no matter how good things go for us it still won't be enough. We are not going to be world beaters this year and probably not for awhile even so why make a QB this year a do or die situation? I think that our front office realizes this and is more than willing to eat a year and get the right piece in next year's draft in a worse case scenario.

Well, if not for nothing I hope that some of this helps stir up some ideas and possible scenarios for others, I would love to hear it because quite honestly I really don't know what is going to happen. Hopefully this post was at least a bit entertaining and not too boring for you. Thanks for listening.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying we have to take a QB at 8......in the 1st two rounds I think is necessary.....

But year after year we as fans keep talking ourselves out of drafting QB's and TE's......and every year it comes back to bit us in the ass......

Dont want Geno or Barkely at 8? Fine......but Nassib or EJ Manual with our 2nd pick would probably win the QB competition in Buffalo

It is MADDENING that a team like San Fran - which boasts perhaps half of it's starters as pro-bowlers, or pro-bowl worthy - and N.E., and these teams that have had sustained success AND STILL are adding FA's and have plenty of draft picks! I mean, how can Buffalo have SO MANY holes, and yet have so "little" wiggle room with the cap, and only have 6 picks in the draft!!!

Of course, the answer lies mostly in two areas: good coaching, and good QB play. Good coaching gets the most out of talent - it knows what it needs, system-wise, fit-wise, and a well coached team makes these players play at a high level. Because they've done it, and can do it again, they have the flexibility (see NE) to trade players and get more picks, and keep the bigger money off the books.

The QB part is a no-brainer, and we all know where Buffalo has been in that department.

Now, here comes my annual optimism. I do believe Marrone and Pettine are going to be considered "good" coaches, and I think they'll implement and KEEP good systems, so that they'll be able to identify and get talent in the draft, even in later rounds, in the years to come. That's a plus. Secondly, although we've certainly lost young talent in the past and even recently, Nix has done a decent job of bringing in young talent - except at the QB and LB positions! I think we have good talent at CB - although a second, big, shut down corner would be great, I think between Brooks and McKelvin we can get by for another year. I also think Aaron Williams might be a terrific fit a safety - so our secondary might not be too bad.

Also, I like our O-line talent, although we'll need to add a few OG's.

All in all, between the draft and the UDFA's, we should be able to add enough young talent to go into next offseason missing only a few parts, and looking to be a real factor in 2014. I'm not giving up on the idea that we get a good QB in this draft, either, in which case we could see an Indianapolis like turn around this year! Ultimately, this year's success will hinge on what QB we end up with - and regardless of what everyone is saying about the lack of quality at the QB position in this draft, I believe it's a good year for Buffalo to be looking to draft a QB, and if we had more picks I'd like to get 2 this year.

I still wouldn't want to use either 2nd rd picks (our #41, Tampa's #43) on a QB unless our Powers To Be were rock solid confident that the prospect was worthy of such a pick (Nassib/Manuel?). Otherwise I would like to see the Bills continue to address their needs with the best player available at their position. If he were still available at #41 I would like for us to take TE Zach Ertz.

I am not saying we have to take a QB at 8......in the 1st two rounds I think is necessary.....

But year after year we as fans keep talking ourselves out of drafting QB's and TE's......and every year it comes back to bit us in the ass......

Dont want Geno or Barkely at 8? Fine......but Nassib or EJ Manual with our 2nd pick would probably win the QB competition in Buffalo

I would be excited getting one of them in the 2nd rd. I think that if we were to surround whatever QB we have with some good offensive weaons, we already have 2 solid RBs, that alone would improve our record right away. That's why I suggested Patterson and Ertz with our first 2 picks.

Edited by Tipster19

Let me go on record as saying that I don't want the Bills to draft a QB at the #8 pick. This year is a weak class for QBs and for us to gamble our first pick on one, at least at the #8 spot, would just be a bad bet. Are we suppose to pin our hopes and aspirations on a middle of the pack QB from a weak class??!

No, the sensible thing to do is to try and accumulate the most draft picks that we can and the best way to do that is by trading down in the 1st rd. With that being said I think that Alabama's CB Dee Milliner could hold a key for us. Depending how the early part of the draft unfolds there is a very good chance that Milliner will fall to us. If so Tampa is desperate for a quality CB and they are sitting at #13. A trade back with them and for their 2nd rd (#43) pick and their next year's 4th rder would be reasonable in my opinion. Now, if something like that were to happen I think that we should accomplish 2 things with that pick at #13 and that would be to draft for one of our needs with the best player available, which would be the best player at his position and in turn that would be WR Cordarrelle Patterson.

If he were still available at #41 I would like for us to take TE Zach Ertz. In my mind the best way for us right now is to address ALL of our needs instead of just sweating the biggest one with lesser talent to choose from.

Then take Tall CB Johnthan Banks 6'2" 185 at #43 to deal with the big recivers in the NFL today.

After addressing and filling some of our other pressing needs with our first 3 picks (#13, #41 and #43) if the Bills were to concentrate on what QB that they think that could be developed I think that there could still be talent that hasn't dipped drastically from the #3 QB on down. Names like Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, Landry Jones, Zac Dysert, etc. etc.

This would have been much better.

In this draft. At 8? Who is worth trading up to? Who do teams 14-20 need so badly that teams 8-13 might grab? Is there that much of a drop off at the positions they need? Pittsburgh moving up to grab a better LB is about the only real chance of a deal - and with the quality and lack of quality across the board at so many positions it is just not happening. The positions that are deep this year have such average talent it is not even funny. The positions that are thin have, at best, two great players. Look at OLB. There are two great OLB's it seems, then maybe 3 or 4 that are just good and maybe even just above average. The rest, well, they're the ones you go on Madden and sign.

In this draft. At 8? Who is worth trading up to? Who do teams 14-20 need so badly that teams 8-13 might grab? Is there that much of a drop off at the positions they need? Pittsburgh moving up to grab a better LB is about the only real chance of a deal - and with the quality and lack of quality across the board at so many positions it is just not happening. The positions that are deep this year have such average talent it is not even funny. The positions that are thin have, at best, two great players. Look at OLB. There are two great OLB's it seems, then maybe 3 or 4 that are just good and maybe even just above average. The rest, well, they're the ones you go on Madden and sign.

All in the eye of the beholder and there's only few elite offensive tackles !

All in the eye of the beholder and there's only few elite offensive tackles !

That's all there ever is with LT's. Other then the very best one, some times two, they are all supposed to be no better then an RT.