Chiefs want picks for Brandon Albert

They are doing what smart organizations do by giving themselves options whether he remains on the roster or is traded. If they can get value for him on the trade market they can still fill the void with some top notch OT prospects in this year's draft. If a team makes a deal with them they can use a portion of that large cap space to replace him on the OL, but not necessarily at the LT position. In addition, if he is traded they will have a sizeable amount of cap space to use to address other positions on the roster. They are exercising some foresight and flexibility with respect to their roster and cap situation. That is a smart way to do business.

Second round pick (if that's accurate) seems like chump change for a LT, but, if you have no plans to re-sign him then I don't have any problem with this. Fans may wail and gnash their teeth, but I'd rather my team get something for their talent.

The Chiefs are trying to get back what the 49ers hosed them for with Alex Smith.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Smith is the one (previously) available QB I was hoping the Bills would get this off season.

Second round pick (if that's accurate) seems like chump change for a LT, but, if you have no plans to re-sign him then I don't have any problem with this. Fans may wail and gnash their teeth, but I'd rather my team get something for their talent.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Smith is the one (previously) available QB I was hoping the Bills would get this off season.

I have no quarrels with Alex Smith, but a 2nd and a 4th (I believe) for a guy who was likely going to get released is getting hosed my friend, especially for a guy who hasn't proven anything outside of his couple years under Harbaugh.

• 3 weeks later...

Either the Chiefs are totally inept or they're trying to desperately convince another team that the player they're opting to replace in this coming draft is actually pretty good.

I don't think they're even going to get a 2nd and may end up releasing him. He's sort of thrown a wrench in the Chiefs' plans of trading him for a couple high picks and drafting a blue chip LT. If I were the Bills, I'd offer a 4th in the 2014 draft and switch him to LG.

Edited by kas23

$9.8 million a year + a draft pick is too much when we are trying to re-sign our own good players like Byrd, then CJ and Wood.

Yup and that's what folks are missing. To let LEvitre walk and spend those much resources on Albert is azz backwards. And while he is a good player, he is hardly a dominant one or else the Chiefs would keep him.

I know this kills the old guys who remember the leather helmet days, but o line is less important than it ever has been. So many teams spread the field now, you get by without dominant linemen.

Albert has been mediocre and inconsistent

Nix wasn't in charge of drafting those guys.

O, and one isn;t a Buffalo Bill anymore.

Nix wasn't in charge of drafting those guys.

O, and one isn;t a Buffalo Bill anymore.

Um not true. Nix was hired as the top scout that year. We all know it was Jauron who pushed hard for Maybin. it was Nix and company that pushed for Levitre Wood and Byrd, but hey thanks for playing the lets hate on Nix game