Can someone explain the Whaley faith to me?

FireChan

I don't understand the guys who go, "Can't wait, this is gonna be Nix's last year and we'll have Whaley save this franchise." What has Whaley done, ever? Worked for a good team in a lower level position? Since when does that make a difference?

Nix may be incompetent. We may need a change at GM. But Bills' fans are the only fans who can talk themselves into changes that are more than likely just as bad. It seems like half the board agrees he's the second coming of Polian, when he's done nothing, ever.

How does that make any sense?

It's like the "Fire Edwards, Wannstedt is a defensive genius! He'll turn this defense around, he has experience on good teams!" phenomena all over again. We glorify these new guys and then hate them 2 years later when they aren't legendary. Happens to every player on the Bills, too. But, I digress.

Can someone explain why they think he'll be great if he calls the shots?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's just accepted he would take over. it's more about moving on from Nix, whose problem may be that he's old and out of touch with some modern philosophies than Whaley is great. as you said, he hasn't done much we can point to.

for all we know, HE could have pushed for some of the decisions we haven't liked. who knows? but it would be a change, thus hope.

It all starts at the top. Brandon has taught Whaley just how a dysfunctional franchise is run. From a profit standpoint. It's run pretty darn well. For the Bills that is the bottom line. Winning is not a priority since Brandon arrived.

Fire Russ Brandon, and things will change. He is not a football guy by any stretch. Because of him sadly a team that needs all the help it can get. Plays only 7 home games a year.

It all starts at the top. Brandon has taught Whaley just how a dysfunctional franchise is run. From a profit standpoint. It's run pretty darn well. For the Bills that is the bottom line. Winning is not a priority since Brandon arrived.

Fire Russ Brandon, and things will change. He is not a football guy by any stretch. Because of him sadly a team that needs all the help it can get. Plays only 7 home games a year.

Hey, I would be happy if they didn't play any home game in Buffalo, as long as it keeps the franchise in Buffalo! :rolleyes:

Its really this simple....

Whaley helped build Pittsburgh's Super Bowl teams. Lots of great things happened while he was with the Steelers... Also... Did I mention a Super Bowl or two?

Nix..... This guy could screw up a order for a black cup of coffee....

Lunch time!

Simple: The unknown is always assumed to be better than what is known. See: grass is greener.

PTR

Bingo. Especially since there are a number of cosmetic differences between Nix and Whaley -- age/generation, skin color, accent/regional culture, and insider/outsider status. Nix was head scout for the Bills under Polian & Butler, and definitely counts as a "Ralph" hire, whereas Whaley not so much.

I don't understand the guys who go, "Can't wait, this is gonna be Nix's last year and we'll have Whaley save this franchise." What has Whaley done, ever? Worked for a good team in a lower level position? Since when does that make a difference?

Nix may be incompetent. We may need a change at GM. But Bills' fans are the only fans who can talk themselves into changes that are more than likely just as bad. It seems like half the board agrees he's the second coming of Polian, when he's done nothing, ever.

How does that make any sense?

It's like the "Fire Edwards, Wannstedt is a defensive genius! He'll turn this defense around, he has experience on good teams!" phenomena all over again. We glorify these new guys and then hate them 2 years later when they aren't legendary. Happens to every player on the Bills, too. But, I digress.

Can someone explain why they think he'll be great if he calls the shots?

Not sure if he'll be great, but since the Bills are never going to get an "established genious" to come and run things, some of us are just crossing our fingers that Whaley is the next "dumb luck" move by the Bills...they hit with Bill Polian 25 years ago...it is bound to happen again. Polian had a little bit of a track record in the USFL at that point, but nobody was asking the Bills permission to talk to them about their GM position.

Of course, we don't know if Whaley will be better, but there is a sense that the way things are going now is less than satisfactory. He is a young guy, who has been around for a while, and yes, he came up with a model NFL franchise. The Bills have not had a lot of success going with guys that the owner is comfortable with.

I don't have any faith in Whaley because i think he has gotten a raw deal. Lets just say we get Geno Smith but him and our new head coach fail. That will be on Whaley just as much as Buddy. I hope Whaley has had a major say in latest moves.

He does not appear to be a slickster or a huckster like the last few guys. My hope is that he is green enough to just keep it simple. Draft a young QB or two, surround him with a solid line, and get a decent defensive coordinator in there and it really shouldn't take much beyond that. Such a simple solution that has eluded the Bills for a decade plus. People forget that if Nix took Wilson over Graham we would all be lauding him as a genius for finding a CB, LT and QB with his first three picks last year. Instead he is a buffoon for passing on him. It's a fine line between success and failure in the NFL which also means that it really isn't and shouldn't be that difficult to put together a winning formula. Keep it simple Doug.

Not sure if he'll be great, but since the Bills are never going to get an "established genious" to come and run things, some of us are just crossing our fingers that Whaley is the next "dumb luck" move by the Bills...they hit with Bill Polian 25 years ago...it is bound to happen again. Polian had a little bit of a track record in the USFL at that point, but nobody was asking the Bills permission to talk to them about their GM position.

Of course, we don't know if Whaley will be better, but there is a sense that the way things are going now is less than satisfactory. He is a young guy, who has been around for a while, and yes, he came up with a model NFL franchise. The Bills have not had a lot of success going with guys that the owner is comfortable with.

Nothing better than when someone spells the word "genius" wrong. :thumbsup: