Lost 8 Starters, Replaced 1

Counting Rinehart as a swing guard, we lost 8 Starters, and have swapped Barnett for Lawson. Assuming D Searcy takes over for Wilson, and TJ Graham takes over starting #3 WR pos. We Still need a #1 QB, #2 WR, Starting LG, #2 G and #2 DE. MArk Anderson was showing to be a situational Pass Rusher and was horrendous vs the run last year, i would count him as our #3 DE even though hes paid like a first stringer. We have 5 Glaring Starter holes 6 if you count another starting MLB for Pettine's Mixed defense which will include a 3-4. Not looking good with only 6 draft picks and Buddy Nix snoozing through free agency.

Players who have departed

• • Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • • Wide receiver Donald Jones (New England Patriots)
  • • Wide receiver David Nelson
  • • Guard Andy Levitre (Tennessee Titans)
  • • Guard Chad Rinehart (San Diego Chargers)
  • • Defensive end Chris Kelsay (retired)
  • • Defensive end Shawne Merriman (retired)
  • • Linebacker Nick Barnett
  • • Cornerback Terrence McGee
  • • Safety George Wilson (Tennessee Titans)

http://blogs.buffalo...ves-so-far.html

Edited by Stussy109

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• • Wide receiver Donald Jones (New England Patriots)

At first glance I think, wow, we are in trouble losing all those starters. But then the more I think about it, it's wow, how did the Bills win any games with those starters. Other than Livitre, the rest are average players at best. Uhg, so frustrating...This team has so far to go...

At first glance I think, wow, we are in trouble losing all those starters. But then the more I think about it, it's wow, how did the Bills win any games with those starters. Other than Livitre, the rest are average players at best. Uhg, so frustrating...This team has so far to go...

+1.....It is Addition by Subtraction...Now to send Brad Smith packing. Not sure why he is still on this team.

Edited by ganesh

Counting Rinehart as a swing tackle, we lost 8 Starters, and have swapped Barnett for Lawson. Assuming D Searcy takes over for Wilson, and TJ Graham takes over starting #3 WR pos. We Still need a #1 QB, #2 WR, Starting LG, #2 G and #2 DE. MArk Anderson was showing to be a situational Pass Rusher and was horrendous vs the run last year, i would count him as our #3 DE even though hes paid like a first stringer. We have 5 Glaring Starter holes 6 if you count another starting MLB for Pettine's Mixed defense which will include a 3-4. Not looking good with only 6 draft picks and Buddy Nix snoozing through free agency.

• • Wide receiver Donald Jones (New England Patriots) # 3 reciever on a real team at best

http://blogs.buffalo...ves-so-far.html

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick I was a Fitz guy and wanted him back, but a change was needed here. Can you honestly say Fitz made a difference in a positive way in any game last year? I think any replacement has to be more accurate

• • Wide receiver Donald Jones (New England Patriots) # 3 reciever on a real team, has an undisclosed medical problem. Not a big loss
  • • Wide receiver David Nelson Played one game elast year, coming off ACL, But I liked his game and agree this hurts
  • • Guard Andy Levitre (Tennessee Titans) Big Loss i agree
  • • Guard Chad Rinehart (San Diego Chargers) Backup
  • • Defensive end Chris Kelsay (retired) We all wanted him gone, tried hard..little impact
  • • Defensive end Shawne Merriman (retired) no impact on field
  • • Linebacker Nick Barnett Old and slow, liabilit in coverage
  • • Cornerback Terrence McGee should have been cut two years ago
  • • Safety George Wilson (Tennessee Titans) split time with Seracy

So I see one and a half losses really. I mean this team was 6-10, with a god awful defense.Did you want them to keep the same guys? Change was not only warrented, but an absolute must

Edited by plenzmd1

I think it was the movie "Colors" where Robert Duvall said to Sean Penn: "There were two bulls sitting on the hillside and overlooking all the female cows. The younger bull said to the older bull "Let's run down there and #@!$ one of those cows. The older bull turned to the younger one and said "No son, let's walk down there and #@!$ them all."

Point is (without sounding as graphic) we should use our $12 million in cap money remaining (after spending $7 million on our draft picks) on some solid players when the mad rush for FA's slows. We could sign two or three solid FA's this week or next without paying a king's ransom for one of the big name players. We are in need of consistent players...we are not paying for names alone. They are approaching this season correctly given who we have to sign next year IMO.

Edited by BringBackFergy

Sorry but 2 or 3 of those players are legit starters. Just because they were starters for us doesn't mean they're starters for another team. There's a reason why we've sucked the last couple years.

I won't miss any of those guys except Levitre but the Bills made the right choice in not overpaying for him.

Good thing we don't have a game this weekend.

We are also fortunate that:

1.) most of those players sucked so it is addition by subtraction

2.) there are still tons of free agents looking for work. The free agency period started less than 1 week ago and the Bills have money to spend

3.) The NFL Draft is still to come. That should deliver a start or 2

Bottom line: I understand that we would all have wanted for the Bills to be more active so far in Free agency, but there is plenty of time and opportunity left for them to upgrade the roster. If we head into the season with a bunch of question marks, then I will panic. In all honesty, this is a rebuilding year again. My expectations for the upcoming season are very low. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised but not expecting it.

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick I was a Fitz guy and wanted him back, but a change was needed here. Can you honestly say Fitz made a difference in a positive way in any game last year? I think any replacement has to be more accurate

• • Wide receiver Donald Jones (New England Patriots) # 3 reciever on a real team, has an undisclosed medical problem. Not a big loss
  • • Wide receiver David Nelson Played one game elast year, coming off ACL, But I liked his game and agree this hurts
  • • Guard Andy Levitre (Tennessee Titans) Big Loss i agree
  • • Guard Chad Rinehart (San Diego Chargers) Backup
  • • Defensive end Chris Kelsay (retired) We all wanted him gone, tried hard..little impact
  • • Defensive end Shawne Merriman (retired) no impact on field
  • • Linebacker Nick Barnett Old and slow, liabilit in coverage
  • • Cornerback Terrence McGee should have been cut two years ago
  • • Safety George Wilson (Tennessee Titans) split time with Seracy

So I see one and a half losses really. I mean this team was 6-10, with a god awful defense.Did you want them to keep the same guys? Change was not only warrented, but an absolute must

When does the season start, tomorrow?

oh thank god. i was worried there wouldnt be a woe is us thread for me to freak out in. only 173 days of free agency left, gotta get it in while i can

We should start a contest to see who calls the date the first "we should lose out this year to get a great draft pick in 2014" thread starts.

+1.....It is Addition by Subtraction...

Nothing against you in particular because I see this all the time and I believe it is almost never true.

It would be true only if the roster immediately after the cuts/losses is better than it was before. Which is rarely the case and clearly not this time.

Yes, those players for the most part were pedestrian. But they were the Bills best players for the most part. As of now they leave holes that have not been filled, much less filled by someone better. I'm not saying that by the start of camp they won't be filled with better players, but as of now the Bills have not managed to do so.

So, it clearly is not addition by subtraction.

In reality, I like the move to acquire and keep T Jackson for a late Pick as hes better than anybody we'd be able to draft in rounds 2-7. Losing Fitz as bad as he was is a downgrade, Losing Nelson is a downgrade, losing Kelsay and Levitre are big downgrades. Kelsay gets a bad rap, but he was playing well IMO.

swing tackle ? ...anyway we should be losing starters on a bad team, particular on defense. Ya keep these guys after ranking 32 and 31 in nfl defense why would you switch?

guard, my bad

Sorry but 2 or 3 of those players are legit starters. Just because they were starters for us doesn't mean they're starters for another team. There's a reason why we've sucked the last couple years.

I won't miss any of those guys except Levitre but the Bills made the right choice in not overpaying for him.

If they were our starters, how bad are the guys stepping in to fill the void from 2nd string, the addition by subtraction makes sense when you have a viable alternative. Losing Chris Kelsay means Spencer Johnson takes his spot with significant time spelling M Williams, and M Anderson. As of Now, Brad Smith is our #2 WR, yikes.

I think it was the movie "Colors" where Robert Duvall said to Sean Penn: "There were two bulls sitting on the hillside and overlooking all the female cows. The younger bull said to the older bull "Let's run down there and #@!$ one of those cows. The older bull turned to the younger one and said "No son, let's walk down there and #@!$ them all."

Point is (without sounding as graphic) we should use our $12 million in cap money remaining (after spending $7 million on our draft picks) on some solid players when the mad rush for FA's slows. We could sign two or three solid FA's this week or next without paying a king's ransom for one of the big name players. We are in need of consistent players...we are not paying for names alone. They are approaching this season correctly given who we have to sign next year IMO.

Great movie line.

I think we can all agree that the Bills are in the earlier phases of building this team. I am less interested in them making desperate attempts to fill every hole (including QB) than I am in the Bills building the team right. That includes:

1. Drafting well

2. Signing young players to semi-reasonable extensions, and

3. Cutting dead wood

We know they have not drafted well and hope Magoo is on to other things next year. I'll leave 2 out of it, because that's back to Buddy as well. But FINALLY, there appears the a parting of the clouds at OBD as far as whom to get rid of. Outside of Levitre, there hasn't been one release of a player that I disagreed with or even said...FINALLY!!!