Sabres starting to come apart at the seams?

Buftex

Yeah...not happy about the trade...but I really don't know a lot about the guys they got in return...Larsson and Hackett. A back-up goaltender...has to make you wonder if anyone else is headed out in the next hour or two.

This, for me, is one of the top two or three most exhilerating moments in Buffalo sports history...good luck Pommers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEpr8moQBPs

I agree, BT. Right there with a couple Robert OT goals, MAYDAY and Hannan.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...not happy about the trade...but I really don't know a lot about the guys they got in return...Larsson and Hackett. A back-up goaltender...has to make you wonder if anyone else is headed out in the next hour or two.

This, for me, is one of the top two or three most exhilerating moments in Buffalo sports history...good luck Pommers..

I was less unhappy when I found out about the picks they got. The Wild gave up a 1st and a 2nd round pick?

Yeah, I'll miss Pomms. But that's a good trade nonetheless.

Yesterday on the radio they were saying how everyone wants guys gone, then someone is dealt and fans are like "Why trade THAT guy?" I'm sort of feeling that way right now. Pom was a solid 25G a year scorer who played EVERY game. Hope we did OK here

He was also the guy who exemplified the problem with this team. He doesn't really carry any of the traits anyone who has played any sport at any level would like to see in a captain. He was rarely hurt, which was nice. But he was very low-key and I an not sure he is a strong leader. Like many other players on this team, I believe the poorly constructed roster led him to be thrust into a role where he was a bit over his head.

I think he's gonna do great in Minnesota, especially if he sticks on then line with Mikko Koivu and Zach Parise. Koivu is their C. Parise wore the C in NJ and now wears an A. Suter wears an A. I believe that Matt Cullen and Dany Wheatley have also worn letters at times in their career.

Pominville just needs to show up and do his job now, not be "the guy" and that's gonna be a weight off his shoulders. Not to mention he's playing with two ultra skilled setup guys. I wish him the best.

I was less unhappy when I found out about the picks they got. The Wild gave up a 1st and a 2nd round pick?

Yeah, I'll miss Pomms. But that's a good trade nonetheless.

Yeah, you are right. When I first heard about the trade (when I posted) there was no mention of the picks. The Sabres have accumualted a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks for the next two seasons. That is a good thing, although, for some reason, NHL draft picks don't seem to have the same impact as NFL draft picks. Or, moreover, not the immediate impact you might like to see.

I really do like some of the young guys we have on this team. Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno, IMO, are all good building pieces. I just hope we all have enough patience for another re-build.

I agree, BT. Right there with a couple Robert OT goals, MAYDAY and Hannan.

I remember having to work late the night of that game, so I watched it after the fact, having no idea of the outcome. Avoiding hockey scores, even playoff games, is pretty easy in Texas. That was a long game...I woke up the whole house, around 2am screaming...it was, for me (a Celtics fan) right up there with Larry Bird stealing Isiah Thomas' inbound pass, to steal a playoff game, by 1 point, in the final 4 seconds of the 1987 NBA playoffs. I have seen a lot of great moments over the years, but those two, so sudden, and unexpected, really stand out for me. Moments where I litterally sprang to my feet, without any thought...

Unfortunately, for me, from about 1991-1998 I wasn't really able to folow the Sabres all that well. They were fun years, I am sure...but before the days of Center Ice, it was nearly impossible to follow NHL hockey down where I am. So, while I remember the May-Day goal, and the Hannan goal, they didn't quite have the impact, though great moments I am sure.

Edited by Buftex

I remember having to work late the night of that game, so I watched it after the fact, having no idea of the outcome. Avoiding hockey scores, even playoff games, is pretty easy in Texas. That was a long game...I woke up the whole house, around 2am screaming...

Ha, same for me except it was the 1st game of the series. We had a neiighborhood party at the house that could not be moved. Being in Richmond VA, and the only Sabres fan, I wanted to wait till everybody cleared out about 9 before i watched the game. Well, last of the fellas left around 11.45 PM, and that is when i started watching that game.Lordy I must have been 8 beers in before I started watching.I watch the games outside on a covered porch, so needless to say my quiet filter was gone...heard chit from all my neighbors the next morning LOL

Yeah, you are right. When I first heard about the trade (when I posted) there was no mention of the picks. The Sabres have accumualted a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks for the next two seasons. That is a good thing, although, for some reason, NHL draft picks don't seem to have the same impact as NFL draft picks. Or, moreover, not the immediate impact you might like to see.

I really do like some of the young guys we have on this team. Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno, IMO, are all good building pieces. I just hope we all have enough patience for another re-build.

Yes, the Sabres have TWO 2013 1st rounders (MIN), TWO 2013 2nd rounders (MIN), THREE 2014 2nd rounders (one from LA, one from MIN), and TWO 2015 2nd rounders (LA).

If you look at what Regier did at last year's draft when he had two 1sts and two 2nds, you can be hopeful they're gonna re-boot quickly. He picked Grigorenko at #12 with his own pick, then used Nashville's #21 overall (from the Gaustad trade) and Buffalo's 2nd round pick (#42) to trade up to #14 with Calgary and select Girgensons.

He then used Calgary's #44 overall which he had obtained in the Regehr fleecing and selected Jake McCabe, who immediately became the Sabres' best D prospect, on the same talent level as Brayden McNabb and Mark Pysyk. McNabb will likely be with the team next season, and Pysyk has looked good enough that I'm not sure he'll be seeing Rochester again either.

Assuming they're a lock for a top-5 pick at this point (top 3 would be better), he's restocked the cupboards very quickly. Whomever he selects with that top 5 pick will become the #1 prospect at that position, guaranteed. Buffalo hasn't had a top 10 pick since they took Vanek at #5 in 2003--that lack of top-end talent is one of the biggest weaknesses of the current team. Call it Bills syndrome, if you will--never being quite bad enough to get that superstar player.

After that top 5 pick, he can either use MIN's #1, STL's #2 and maybe his own #2 or #3 to move back up again and get another Grigorenko/Girgensons caliber prospect, OR he can use those picks as part of a package to get an established player in here to key the rebuild.

Don't forget, if they're going all out, Miller and Vanek might go too instead of losing them for nothing. They also will bring in some young player(s?), prospects, and picks that can be packaged.

It's an exciting and interesting time to be a Sabres fan. You can see the writing is on the wall. The team is getting re-tooled, possibly completely. You just have to hope the majority of these kids pan out and smart moves continue to be made.

love that goal. Reminds me so much of my favorite all time Sabre. Pierre Turgeon.

then used Nashville's #21 overall (from the Gaustad trade) and Buffalo's 2nd round pick (#42) to trade up to #14 with Calgary and select Girgensons.

So what happened with this guy this year? Never really heard from him unlike Grigorenko at least

So what happened with this guy this year? Never really heard from him unlike Grigorenko at least

He's having a decent year in Rochester, all things considered. He's one of the youngest player in the AHL, eligible to play there because he was drafted from the USHL instead of the CHL (QMJHL/WHL/OHL). CHL players under 20 play in the CHL or NHL.

So as one of the younger players in the league and adjusting to the pro game AND switching from C to LW I think he's had a solid year.

He's having a decent year in Rochester, all things considered. He's one of the youngest player in the AHL, eligible to play there because he was drafted from the USHL instead of the CHL (QMJHL/WHL/OHL). CHL players under 20 play in the CHL or NHL.

So as one of the younger players in the league and adjusting to the pro game AND switching from C to LW I think he's had a solid year.

Zemgus Girgensons (sp?). Didn't he miss some time with a concussion?

PTR

Zemgus Girgensons (sp?). Didn't he miss some time with a concussion?

PTR

I believe that is what the injury was. I know he missed a good month-plus.

He's skating on the 4th line with Johan Larsson as his center tonight. If all goes well in development, 3 or 4 years from now those two + Foligno could be their two-way "defensive" line

So what do you think you've been paying for?

I don't anymore

The Sabres should have traded these chumps awhile ago. Ten more games to make-up 4 points. Probably too little, too late.

the holiday inn is over Edited by roush