Ryan Fitzpatrick - QB - Tennessee Titans

MClem06

The fact that one of the leagues' worst GM's was catfished and heard by the entire nation that Fitz would have to compete just to be a backup here.

I'm guessing the numerous calls Fitz said he had with Nix, that the backup position was discussed

a lot. Besides restructuring it was probably all they discussed. The guy went to harvard. I doubt he was dumb enough after 12-20 (after the big $$$$) that he would be the starter with new coaches.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dalton looked quite pathetic at the end of last season and especially in the wildcard playoff game. It was actually the worst postseason performance by a QB since 1999. Fitz may be an upgrade.

Worst than that performance by Minnesota's QB?

I'm guessing the numerous calls Fitz said he had with Nix, that the backup position was discussed

a lot. Besides restructuring it was probably all they discussed. The guy went to harvard. I doubt he was dumb enough after 12-20 (after the big $$$$) that he would be the starter with new coaches.

He did think, however, and said so publicly, that he thought he would simply beat out the competition and be the starter (meaning TJax and a rookie). The money they offered to him, 3m a year, he considered to be an insult, so he opted not to take it. That is reasonable, considering that Matt Moore and Chase Daniel got more than that. I truly believe that Nix, and Marrone, decided the same thing most fans decided, that Fitz was just going to be a back-up. Nix signed TJax to a #3 QB contract as a back-up to his back-up plan. I would have thought they'd offer Fitz at least 4m to be the back-up but they didn't, so he turned it down.

IMO, he would have accepted a 4m-3year offer but turned down a 3m-4year offer. If I were him, I probably would have done the same thing (although I MAY have decided that Buffalo was still my best chance to start so I would have accepted less money than I knew I could get for that opportunity).

Fitz still wants to know if the Cards will sign him after they let go of Kolb. That's where he wants to sign because he will have a chance to start and a place his family already lives. That's a huge part of his decision.

it's only fair. We took the Bengals castoff, so they might as well take ours.

May lightning strike you for even suggesting that! (kidding)

I wasn't thinking about it with Fitz at all...but more in regards to the Broncos and Dumerville. If they had an agreement in principle, but had to waive him for some technical reason, could they just re-negotiate a free-agent deal with him, same terms, after he is let go? Just wondering the reason this doesn't ever really happen. The only instances I can think of players returning to the team that cut them are either mid-season signings, or next season. Would the Broncos be forbidden from re-negotiating a deal with Dumerville, before the coming season starts? Perhaps the guranteed bonus thing gets in the way? There are a lot of nuances to the salary cap I don't get...

I wasn't thinking about it with Fitz at all...but more in regards to the Broncos and Dumerville. If they had an agreement in principle, but had to waive him for some technical reason, could they just re-negotiate a free-agent deal with him, same terms, after he is let go? Just wondering the reason this doesn't ever really happen. The only instances I can think of players returning to the team that cut them are either mid-season signings, or next season. Would the Broncos be forbidden from re-negotiating a deal with Dumerville, before the coming season starts? Perhaps the guranteed bonus thing gets in the way? There are a lot of nuances to the salary cap I don't get...

In the Broncos case, I think that cutting him caused a cap hit to the team, and now they only have a total of 8m remaining, and they have to pay rookies. So it would be very hard for them to re-sign him and keep a cap hit to less than 2m or so. They may be able to restructure some contracts, open up a few mil in cap room and then re-sign him. But apparently they also don't have a great track record with Tom Condon, the new agent he signed on with. The fact that he fired his agent made me believe he may still want to play for the Broncos but there are a lot of questions remaining.

Under normal circumstances, yes they could re-sign him after 24 hours.

Everyone saw it coming...after the fact.

PTR

A very salient point that most lose sight of in their raging hatred of our front office.

But with our playoff drought at 13 years and counting, the question remains...is our front office just snakebit or incompetent?

A very salient point that most lose sight of in their raging hatred of our front office.

But with our playoff drought at 13 years and counting, the question remains...is our front office just snakebit or incompetent?

All that and unlucky. But don't discount the effect fans have on the team. We hate everything and moves sometimes get made to appease us.

PTR

Well lets see.

They did not draft a QB in a QB rich draft. Instead signing very non-rookie Fitz to the big starting QB deal ... only to cut him the next off season. Thus leaving themselves in need of a QB in a QB poor draft.

No playoffs, and abysmal season records for 13 straight years. No easy feat in this era of balance in the NFL.

After 13 years of sucking, needing to bring in a brand new coaching staff (due to existing coaches sucking REAL bad and picked by the same still surviving GM) thus invoking yet another rebuild cycle.

Nothing snake-bit there.

Edited by CodeMonkey

don't discount the effect fans have on the team. We hate everything and moves sometimes get made to appease us.

PTR

I think it was Marv Levy that once said: " If you listen to the fans, it won't be long and you'll be sitting with them". Or something like that !! LOL !

jb

I will ask this question here, cuz I am not sure where else to ask it, without starting a new thread... (I am not advocating this), but just supposing the Bills and Fitz had a change of heart...could they conceivably re-sign a player they cut? Would his previous contract then be null and void, or would the re-signing team (in this case the Bills) still be on the hook for that old contract? Is there a date set, after which a cut player could sign with his old team?

They could sign him, I know of no date limitation. His old contract would no longer apply. However, they would still be on the hook for that $10 million of his "old contract", plus whatever they agree as his new contract going forward.

This is essentially the situation Dumervil faces in wanting to re-sign with the Broncos - his old contract no longer applies, but they took a cap hit by releasing him which will make it hard for them to compete with the market for his services, and the cap hit won't go away if he signs a new contract.

I think it's strange that Fitz is willing to accept back-up money from another team, but not the same (if not more, if he restructured) from us.

I suspect it all depends on what's meant by "back up money". Are we talking Matt Moore backup money or TJax backup money? Are we talking Chase Daniel guaranteed $$ or no guaranteed $$?

I'm guessing the Bills had in mind more like TJax backup money and no guaranteed $$. The report on the Bills offer says 4 years/average $3 million a year but keep in mind that doesn't mean the Bills were offering him $3 million this year. They may have offered him $1 million this year, $1.5 million next year, $4 million in 2015, $5.5 million in 2016 with nothing guaranteed and with incentives they could easily manipulate to prevent him from reaching. That would be a way of keeping him while offsetting his cap hit. But from Fitz POV it's a lousy deal because he can very likely pick up $3 million this year plus a signing and roster bonus, maybe $6-8 million total with $2 million guaranteed, as a backup somewhere else.

A hometown/loyalty discount only goes so far.