If the Bills have a strategy, it is completely flawed

jahnyc

Of course I have no idea what the Bills the are doing or thinking, but I would note the following:

1. Signing M. Williams to a huge deal last year looks stupid in light of the number of DEs that were available this year and the contracts that these free agents are getting now. I would argue that a strong front office will assess current needs and availability (in the draft and in free agency) as well as future needs and availability.

2. Signing McKelvin at the start of free agency for the amount of money he received was a significant misjudgment of the market for CBs. Many CBs have been (and continue to be) available, some who are more likely to be quality starters than McKelvin.

3. The front office should have realized that cutting Fitz would add to the negatives (i.e., no starting caliber QB) in trying to attract and sign free agents. Instead, the Bills should have used money for free agency to re-sign Levitre, who had indicated interest in staying with the Bills.

4. Why do the Bills wait so long to try to re-sign their own players? Signing Byrd will now cost them much more money based on the deals that some of the free agent safeties have received this offseason. Would Levitre have agreed to less than what he ultimately received from the Titans if the Bills had tried to sign him during last season?

5. Now that the Bills have cut Fitz and only have T. Jackson, it is obvious that the Bills will be drafting a QB in this year's draft. Other GMs know this, and if they are interested in a QB, they know that they may need to move ahead of the Bills. Having all of the NFL teams know what you need to do in the draft is not a good thing. This is a very weak draft for QBs, and the Bills have no choice but to draft one early. Last year was the year to draft a QB, another front office misjudgment.

This entire franchise looks like Tim Conway in the dentist skit on the Carrol Burnett show ! Everything they do they screw it up !!

They sign Fitz to a outrageous contract in the way of cap hits & no way to get out of it with out looking completely stupid WAY TO PREMATURELY !! They on the other hand wait WAY TO LONG to attempt to sign Andy L, they let there 2 top tacklers & leaders on D walk in Wilson & Barnett, & they let a young, very productive Red zone threat (the second highest production on the team) in David Nelson walk .

Not to mention the "Exhaustive & Thorough HC ing search" What a joke ! You have guys like Lovey that said publicly he was interested in the Bills job & Trestman which won back to back Grey Cup Championships & who better to make the Bills a home team in the Toronto series (that they never even tried to contact i might add !!) Either one would have brought immediate substantiality (or what ever you want to call it) to the organization.

Then you add in the fact with the entire Fitz thing keeping Thigpen, letting Young a proven winner walk not given any time to learn the system, wasting a draft pick on a QB letting him sit INACTIVE the entire season then to top it off letting 2 draft picks in Asper (that could have been used to replace Andy) & Carder (a LB the weakest position on the team) go & to top it all of not drafting a potential QB out of what was right there for the taking in the later rounds last year meaning , Russel, & the SECOND QB that the skins took in the draft last year.

Man i want to love this team & i do but YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID !! Who lets the one guy that made this team a 4 time SB contender stay in retirement & not even ask him if he would want to be head of football operations in B Pollian when he said how much he will always love the Buffalo area & said he wouldn't mind getting back into football HELLO !!

Then you look at what the Fins have done this off season & wonder why we are at the bottom of the AFC east all the time ...

It's a lost cause but the Bills are like crack i just can't stop !! Go Bills :cry:

Edited by T master

Of course I have no idea what the Bills the are doing or thinking, but I would note the following:

1. Signing M. Williams to a huge deal last year looks stupid in light of the number of DEs that were available this year and the contracts that these free agents are getting now. I would argue that a strong front office will assess current needs and availability (in the draft and in free agency) as well as future needs and availability.

2. Signing McKelvin at the start of free agency for the amount of money he received was a significant misjudgment of the market for CBs. Many CBs have been (and continue to be) available, some who are more likely to be quality starters than McKelvin.

3. The front office should have realized that cutting Fitz would add to the negatives (i.e., no starting caliber QB) in trying to attract and sign free agents. Instead, the Bills should have used money for free agency to re-sign Levitre, who had indicated interest in staying with the Bills.

4. Why do the Bills wait so long to try to re-sign their own players? Signing Byrd will now cost them much more money based on the deals that some of the free agent safeties have received this offseason. Would Levitre have agreed to less than what he ultimately received from the Titans if the Bills had tried to sign him during last season?

5. Now that the Bills have cut Fitz and only have T. Jackson, it is obvious that the Bills will be drafting a QB in this year's draft. Other GMs know this, and if they are interested in a QB, they know that they may need to move ahead of the Bills. Having all of the NFL teams know what you need to do in the draft is not a good thing. This is a very weak draft for QBs, and the Bills have no choice but to draft one early. Last year was the year to draft a QB, another front office misjudgment.

Why does any of this surprise you?? The only time anything will change is when a new owner takes over. We will be last in the AFC east for sure yet again.

I find this whole Free Agency very disappointing and confusing. Hoping that we were going to be signing all these big name FAs and just sitting and watching us do relatively very little has been very frustrating. Reflecting on what has been stated by our "brain trust" has me even more bewildered but this is the things that I have been hearing. Below is what I'm paraphrasing and repeating to the best of my memory.

Buddy Nix and his infamous phone call: "We don't need anymore Tackles, we're all set at this position."

"Fitz is holding us ransome and he'll have to do something or we'll do it for him and all he is is a back-up."

"We only have 6 draft picks and what can we really do with just 6 picks?"

"We're in the market for a QB and a few other positions need upgrading."

Russ Brandon: "We have been too irrevelent for too long and we will return to being a winning franchis."

Doug Marrone: "We are not into the information giving business, we are into the information collecting business."

Now of course this isn't exactly what they said but basically this is what I interpreted. I think the most interesting reference was Nix referring to our draft picks. Based on this and the lack of FA acquisitions I believe that we will definitely trade back in the 1st rd and I also believe that the reason why they only tagged Byrd with a non-exclusive tag was in the hopes that they, the Bills, were looking to pick up some premium draft picks from another team who would sign him.

Either trading down and/or get a late 1st rd pick for Byrd is where we would get our QB, or at least our first one.

I do expect still, and I now say this cautiously, that we will still a or a couple of reasonably priced FAs still.

Bottom line is I believe that we are truly looking to gather or get as many draft picks as we possibly can. I mentioned a couple of ways that this will or could happen but I think that the Bills may also shock us by trading an unexpected player of ours to also add to our draft pick count.

The reason for building our roster via the draft is for the economics of it but also from keeping malcontent FAs and expensive aging veterans being the core of our roster.

Btw, Nix thinks he is a draft guru and when it comes to QBs I'm afraid that he really doesn't know **** about them. I'd rather see us pick up a one year stop gap QB like Kolb or Carson Palmer or someone of that caliber and also draft one with our 2nd rd than to use our 1st rd pick on one while Buddy is still running the show. I'd rather wait until after he's gone (after this year) and get one under Whaley's watch and the candidates are of better quality in the 2014 draft.

I find this whole Free Agency very disappointing and confusing. Hoping that we were going to be signing all these big name FAs and just sitting and watching us do relatively very little has been very frustrating. Reflecting on what has been stated by our "brain trust" has me even more bewildered but this is the things that I have been hearing. Below is what I'm paraphrasing and repeating to the best of my memory.

Buddy Nix and his infamous phone call: "We don't need anymore Tackles, we're all set at this position."

"Fitz is holding us ransome and he'll have to do something or we'll do it for him and all he is is a back-up."

"We only have 6 draft picks and what can we really do with just 6 picks?"

"We're in the market for a QB and a few other positions need upgrading."

Russ Brandon: "We have been too irrevelent for too long and we will return to being a winning franchis."

Doug Marrone: "We are not into the information giving business, we are into the information collecting business."

Now of course this isn't exactly what they said but basically this is what I interpreted. I think the most interesting reference was Nix referring to our draft picks. Based on this and the lack of FA acquisitions I believe that we will definitely trade back in the 1st rd and I also believe that the reason why they only tagged Byrd with a non-exclusive tag was in the hopes that they, the Bills, were looking to pick up some premium draft picks from another team who would sign him.

Either trading down and/or get a late 1st rd pick for Byrd is where we would get our QB, or at least our first one.

I do expect still, and I now say this cautiously, that we will still a or a couple of reasonably priced FAs still.

Bottom line is I believe that we are truly looking to gather or get as many draft picks as we possibly can. I mentioned a couple of ways that this will or could happen but I think that the Bills may also shock us by trading an unexpected player of ours to also add to our draft pick count.

The reason for building our roster via the draft is for the economics of it but also from keeping malcontent FAs and expensive aging veterans being the core of our roster.

Btw, Nix thinks he is a draft guru and when it comes to QBs I'm afraid that he really doesn't know **** about them. I'd rather see us pick up a one year stop gap QB like Kolb or Carson Palmer or someone of that caliber and also draft one with our 2nd rd than to use our 1st rd pick on one while Buddy is still running the show. I'd rather wait until after he's gone (after this year) and get one under Whaley's watch and the candidates are of better quality in the 2014 draft.

i stopped reading when you where paraphrasing using quotation marks.

I'm tired of hearing Glen isn't an OT. Its misinformed and obviously just a bandwagon thought read here on the board. We ARE fine at tackle. Everything else, I'm fine with. The team is doing a terrible job convincing people to care about it at all. Guess the new position has marketing guru Russ Brandon thinking about other things.

I apologize for that. Please, don't let my misuse of my diction overshadow the points that I'm trying to make, I think that you may find some of it valid.

It's not anyone's fault but your own for ignoring the flatly stating they probably wouldn't be very active the first few days.

I don't get why half the board expected some huge flurry. I had today circled as when I expected our first signing unless some great value fell from the sky.

Id rather pay 100 million to Mario than pay 60 million to Paul F'ing Kruger who only played like 22 snaps in the superbowl and isnt even a three down player.

Mario Williams was a proven NFL commodity with elite size/speed when we signed him to his deal. The dude had 11 sacks last year and should be a cornerstone player on our defense for years.

Sure we overpaid for him but thats what you have to do to get a top free agent. Look at the money given out this year to Ellerbe, Kruger, D Gholdson, Wheeler, Wallace....its absolutely insane. I read somewhere that there are only a combined 6 pro bowls with all of this years FA class.

In Mario's case, it was worth it.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

1. M. Williams was hurt at the start of last season and played in a poor scheme. I would bet a lot of money that we will see much better production this year from him.

2. McKelvin's contract is a little high for my taste. But we have a good slot CB and a top kick returner taking up 1 roster spot and 1 contract. I'll let it slide

3. Fitz was not a starting caliber QB. Just a very good and servicable back up. Levitre was good but not worth the 8 million. End of discussion. Great guy, great player, not worth that much money on our team with so many other areas to worry about.

4. What planet do you come from? Just wondering. If you think the Bills were not in talks with the players agents you are high. Just because they haven't heard anything from the Bills doesn't mean that offers have not been made or price ranges discussed. Players who have played well know that they will most likely gain 1 large contract in their career. They know to cash in when they can. Agents know this as well. Bills are making offers, the agents and players are choosing to look for more money elsewhere and who can blame them, when was the last time the Bills had a coaching staff and team composition players really wanted to play for.

5. Hind sight is 20/20 talking about last years draft and the year before it. Also i'd like to point out that Wilson/Kaep would be terrible QBs on the Bills...... Not because of their skill sets but because of the scheme we were playing and the supporting cast. Just because a team hits with a player doesn't mean moving that player to another team would instantly fix that teams problems. See the Eagles dream team.

I like what the Bills are doing this year in FA. I'm all for what tthey are doing waiting to get the best bang for thier buck. I hope they leave no stone unturned.

Edited by RK_BillsFan

What is the strategy? If you don't know what it is, then how could you assess flaws.

I think the one key thing that is a game changer is that Ralph ceded control to Brandon. That being the case, everything previous to Brandon's takeover has to be discounted. Of course, he has to play the cards he was dealt. The sins of the past have to be dealt with.

The signals he's giving is no more willy nilly old school approach to decision making. In its place is supposedly a logical decision making process based on data, facts, and analysis. Assessing the true value of a free agent is now a high priority. I'll venture a guess that if Mario were a free agent this year, that deal never happens. As far as McKelvin goes... they had to see value. You have to admit, the Bills front seven has been one of the worst over the past several years. How can you arrive at an accurate assessment of a secondary in that case. They may see man cover ability in McKelvin that they will utilize instead of deploying zone coverage. The other thing is that he is an electrifying and explosive return man...easily in the top 5. So he has a dual skill set... and that adds value.

I also believe the one thing the new coaching staff brings with it is the ability to function with high roster turnover and without missing a beat... something they dealt with having run a college program where you basically have a player 2-4 years depending on eligibility issues, leaving the program for personal reasons, or turning pro early.

Free agent signings will happen at the time of their choosing. Hopefully there have been huge lessons learned from Mario and Fitz. Going forward they are going to get value ftom their free agents.

With any new staff and significant organizational change, there is going to be change and a different direction simply because there's a different perspective. I don't believe we will have a clear picture of their strategy until perhaps midseason.

I stopped reading when you didn't capitalize the I and spelled were wrong. :wallbash::thumbdown:

I stopped reading when you use that smiley wrong.......Thumbs down goes before brick smashing......fool

Edited by Numark