Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

Funny how it wasn't too long ago people were all for throwing picks at the Eagles to get this guy, now they barely want to bring him in for a look as a FA.....

And yet there are still also some that would rather use picks to try and get Flynn from the Seahawks, and some had even suggested Foles from the Eagles.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's the only big news out of this as far as I'm concerned. If the Bills have any desire for Barkley (and i would not be disappointed if they got him)...the Cards might have just made the first move at drafting him #7.

Or they are clearing a spot for Fitz!!

Kolb in 4.5 games or so has a better winning percentage that Fitz did last year, had a better QB rating (86.1 to 83.3), very close completion percentage (59.6% for Kolb and 60.6% for Fitz), a better TD to INT ratio (2.67 to 1.5) and a very close average yards per attempt (6.39 for Kolb and 6.73 for Fitz). The way people are just throwing this guy away as a complete loser is ridiculous. For cheap, he'd be a great pickup. His line was in the worst 2 or 3 in the league last year as well and he was always taking hits and running for his life.

Kolb in 4.5 games or so has a better winning percentage that Fitz did last year, had a better QB rating (86.1 to 83.3), very close completion percentage (59.6% for Kolb and 60.6% for Fitz), a better TD to INT ratio (2.67 to 1.5) and a very close average yards per attempt (6.39 for Kolb and 6.73 for Fitz). The way people are just throwing this guy away as a complete loser is ridiculous. For cheap, he'd be a great pickup. His line was in the worst 2 or 3 in the league last year as well and he was always taking hits and running for his life.

Oh, and he got beat out by Red Skeleton in training camp.

I think there is no point bringing in a guy like Kolb. They got rid of Fitz, because they want to develop a rookie. They have Tarvaris Jackson if the rook isn't ready for opening day. People trying to salvage this season by bringing in a guy that is just gonna do what Fitz did are missing the whole reason why they let Fitz go.

It's going to be a rookie that starts. They will probably suck this year, but it's time to search for the "quarterback of the future".

Just accept it.

They would have kept Fitz if he restructured. All I was saying is this guy put up similar numbers behind a worse line and no one wants to touch him in a quarterback empty FA class for little money?

Yeah, but they intended for him to be the backup. People are clamoring for some loose Qb, like they want to "save the season", but it's all about whatever rookie they bring in. I couldn't care less who the back up is, Tarvaris is fine.

I think there is no point bringing in a guy like Kolb. They got rid of Fitz, because they want to develop a rookie. They have Tarvaris Jackson if the rook isn't ready for opening day. People trying to salvage this season by bringing in a guy that is just gonna do what Fitz did are missing the whole reason why they let Fitz go.

It's going to be a rookie that starts. They will probably suck this year, but it's time to search for the "quarterback of the future".

Just accept it.

They got rid of Fitz because "he was competing for a backup role". He's really not good at all. He'd make a damn good Fathead but is not starting material. Regardless of starting a rookie QB or an 4 year vet this team could not line up Fitz as a starter 2 years in a row

They got rid of Fitz because "he was competing for a backup role". He's really not good at all. He'd make a damn good Fathead but is not starting material. Regardless of starting a rookie QB or an 4 year vet this team could not line up Fitz as a starter 2 years in a row

Yeah. What do you disagree with?

Did I need to say "They got rid of Fitz because they want to develop a rookie, because Fitz sucks"? I thought we all knew that.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Yeah. What do you disagree with?

Did I need to say "They got rid of Fitz because they want to develop a rookie, because Fitz sucks"? I thought we all knew that.

Sorry, I thought you wrote that they got rid of Fitz because they want to develop a rookie. Good that you know that. I'd rather they sign Kolb draft for all other positions of need and see what the guy can do behind a decent OL.

They would have kept Fitz if he restructured. All I was saying is this guy put up similar numbers behind a worse line and no one wants to touch him in a quarterback empty FA class for little money?

It was behind a horrible line and Fitz had agreat line.

But i can still see us going with the rookie early.

Decisions will be made once TJ is in front of the coaches on the field.

We still need 2 more QBs going into camp. Where and when we get them is the question i guess

Good night and may God bless.

that was always a nice way to end the TV evening

Sorry, I thought you wrote that they got rid of Fitz because they want to develop a rookie. Good that you know that. I'd rather they sign Kolb draft for all other positions of need and see what the guy can do behind a decent OL.

Bad idea, and not what they are going to do. There are no loose Qb's out there that are appreciably better than Fitz.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Bad idea, and not what they are going to do. There are no loose Qb's out there that are appreciably better than Fitz.

Kolb is much better, I'd even go out on a limb and say appreciably better than Fitz. He can make all the throws. Fitz could make one maybe 2 on a good day. Line him up and give him a shot. This year's group of rookie QBs is terrible - not a starter among them.

Kolb is much better, I'd even go out on a limb and say appreciably better than Fitz. He can make all the throws. Fitz could make one maybe 2 on a good day. Line him up and give him a shot. This year's group of rookie QBs is terrible - not a starter among them.

Oh, but there is! I don't know who it will be, but I'm all but certain he will be starting.

I pretty much agree with this take...Though I have to admit Kolb does not thrill me...The thing is, the kid looked good at times in Andy Reed's system...And how can you judge any QB properly on that Arizona Offense from last year...Terrible Offensive Line...No decent RB...I mean, outside of Larry Fitzgerald, who was even on that Arizona Offensive Roster?

Bare minimum Kolb would be favored to start over TJax...If he was brought in on the cheap, he could provide some insurance if the Rookie QB struggles early...I would say, for the right price, I would not mind seeing Kolb come to Buffalo... B-)

Chris Brown today said he doubts the Bills would be interested in Kolb but he doesn't always know what the Bills are doing. Still, I would doubt it myself but it's possible. TJax is on a paltry contract. Kolb, while not very good, is probably as good as TJax. The Seahags let three guys battle it out in camp although they were fortunate that one guy got hurt and one guy stood out.

Chris Brown today said he doubts the Bills would be interested in Kolb but he doesn't always know what the Bills are doing. Still, I would doubt it myself but it's possible. TJax is on a paltry contract. Kolb, while not very good, is probably as good as TJax. The Seahags let three guys battle it out in camp although they were fortunate that one guy got hurt and one guy stood out.

Well, when Chris Brown is right, you can't deny it ...

They would have kept Fitz if he restructured.

thats not really accurate

they would have kept fitz if he restructured AND he agreed to be a backup. fitz wanted to have a shot at a starting job and would have restructured if they had gave him that, he said so himself. but when the bills told him they werent going to let him compete for the job he said no thanks ill take my chances

thats why theres absolutely no chance the bills are going to bring in another veteran. they are going all in on a rookie qb this season and will only play tjax if the rook cant cut it out of the chute. im not sure i agree with that plan but they didnt ask me

Yes but Skelton - not Kolb - is the Cardinals QB that we want, even if it means trading Mario to make it happen.

Nailed it! :thumbsup: See if the price for Skelton has came down yet.

He has potential. That had to have been about the worst oline I've ever seen and he still hung in there and made some plays. For the right price could be worth a shot

Kolb is assy mcgee, just another scrubby INT machine with a little better athleticism.

This is flat nonsense, how is there not a starter among the whole group? Barkley/Geno are instant starters. The other 4-5 will see action in due time. Come on man.

The smart move would be to sign Kolb and draft a project QB in the 3rd like Tyler Bray. That way you can use rounds 1 & 2 to fill other holes. If Kolb plays well you keep him and continue to groom the project QB, or more likely he sucks and we suck next year, and we can draft one of the top three QBs in the 1st next year. Then we'd have open competition at QB the next year with a pretty solid supporting cast. It may not be pretty but I think it's our best option.

they would have kept fitz if he restructured AND he agreed to be a backup. fitz wanted to have a shot at a starting job and would have restructured if they had gave him that, he said so himself. but when the bills told him they werent going to let him compete for the job he said no thanks ill take my chances

thats why theres absolutely no chance the bills are going to bring in another veteran. they are going all in on a rookie qb this season and will only play tjax if the rook cant cut it out of the chute. im not sure i agree with that plan but they didnt ask me

Thats not true, all they are saying was that Fitz would no longer have a chance to start, that doesn't mean that they would not bring in another veteran somehow to compete for the starting job if they had the opportunity and they were going with a rookie in the draft. It just means they have seen enough of Fitz as a starter and no longer wan him in that role

Just accept it.

They could sign Kolb and cut Jackson. I don't think they owe anything to Jackson either in real cash or in Cap

It seems insane for the Bills to tell anyone as to whether they will compete for a starting job. All players should be competing for a starting job and pushing the incumbent if one exists. That is how the depth gets built. What did the Bills achieve by telling Fitz that he will not compete for the starting job when they don't have a QB on the roster who will start for them.

Yo, Head of Meat - "Link or it didn't happen" :beer:

Seriously - only thing I've seen along those lines was speculation from Jerry Sullivan, but no "said so himself" from Fitz.

What I've read that quotes him is that he and the Bills were never very close on money. My suspicion is that the incentive payments that sounded great were either unrealistic or structured in such a way that the Bills could keep them from happening. And I haven't read anywhere that "they weren't going to let him compete for the job"

Be interested to read your sources.

Edited by Hopeful

This is flat nonsense, how is there not a starter among the whole group? Barkley/Geno are instant starters. The other 4-5 will see action in due time. Come on man.

Not sure why this was a response to my post since I never said that. But since you bring it up, is hard for me to argue with the consensus this is a weak qb class. And FYI there have been drafts that didn't produce a starting quality QB (eg 96' most notable tony banks, bobby hoying, danny kanell

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_NFL_Draft#section_1)

Others have produced one decent starter like a plummer, but still not a guy you expect to take you to the promised land.

That said if we were to use our #8 on a qb, it would only be barkley or geno, in that order.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

You're wrong here. Fitz flat out refused to take a pay cut. Of course he would have competed with whoever was brought in here. He just did not want to accept a pay cut. Period. And on a further note, that decision was made long before the Nix telephone fiasco.

They could sign Kolb and cut Jackson. I don't think they owe anything to Jackson either in real cash or in Cap

What did the Bills achieve by telling Fitz that he will not compete for the starting job when they don't have a QB on the roster who will start for them.

But why would they cut Jackson right after signing him?

What did they achieve by telling Fitz he won't compete for a starting job? They got him off the roster.

Clearly (to me) the Bills are gonna draft a rookie and TJax will be the veteran placeholder/eventual backup.

And I'm perfectly fine with that.

But why would they cut Jackson right after signing him?

What did they achieve by telling Fitz he won't compete for a starting job? They got him off the roster.

Clearly (to me) the Bills are gonna draft a rookie and TJax will be the veteran placeholder/eventual backup.

And I'm perfectly fine with that.

Who'll be the 3rd guy? That seems to be the minimum # teams have when there's an open competition. For example last year Seattle had Wilson, Flynn and TJ

Who'll be the 3rd guy? That seems to be the minimum # teams have when there's an open competition. For example last year Seattle had Wilson, Flynn and TJ

Good question and I don't know the answer.

I'd almost say another rookie except that we only have 6 picks so using 2 on QBs seems unlikely. If rumors they brought in Jeff Tuel for a workout are true, maybe an undrafted rookie free agent.

I think with Fitz' cap hit that the Bills don't want to pay for another veteran backup.

Finally I agree that you need a third camp arm just to get through the preseason but as you know, it's somewhat trendy still for teams to carry only 2 QBs on the active roster.

Ultimately I don't think the identity of the 3rd QB is that important, barring injury.

Good question and I don't know the answer.

I'd almost say another rookie except that we only have 6 picks so using 2 on QBs seems unlikely. If rumors they brought in Jeff Tuel for a workout are true, maybe an undrafted rookie free agent.

I think with Fitz' cap hit that the Bills don't want to pay for another veteran backup.

Finally I agree that you need a third camp arm just to get through the preseason but as you know, it's somewhat trendy still for teams to carry only 2 QBs on the active roster.

Ultimately I don't think the identity of the 3rd QB is that important, barring injury.

Right now jets have 3 (Sanchez, McElroy and garard ... Forget tebow who'll be waived if can't be traded) and there's talk of a 4th with kolb.

Right now jets have 3 (Sanchez, McElroy and garard ... Forget tebow who'll be waived if can't be traded) and there's talk of a 4th with kolb.

And other teams bring 3 QBs to camp and keep 2.

We're trying to read tea leaves here but based on what the Bills have done so far and our close observation of the team, I'm confident in what I've already stated.

And other teams bring 3 QBs to camp and keep 2.

We're trying to read tea leaves here but based on what the Bills have done so far and our close observation of the team, I'm confident in what I've already stated.

Well im not saying they will follow jets, just that teams with an open competition seem to have 3 or more at start of camp