Cannot believe the lack of respect for Levitre from this board

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...... Heck, the Bills even lost out on their own backup LG while the better guards were getting snapped up.....

Though technically true, you imply that there isn't a lot of guards left in FA, where in fact there are many still available that are rated somewhere between where Levitre & Rinehart were.

......"Easily replaced" is a good sound bite, but it implies there actually is a replacement......

I think it implies that the replacement(of which there are lots of options) will easily step up and do a solid job.

I totally agree with you that this is a good sound bite statement & history has shown that it is not as easy to do as the statement implies.

I wouldn't mind if people were to say.....

A replacement might show that they are solid, but even a sub-par OG is less detrimental to a team than most other positions, particularly if they are slotted between a solid C & LT.

It is still an opinion, but at least it cannot be instantly refuted with recent evidence to the contrary......and perhaps even supported with evidence.

Hairston will be moving over with Pears back....problem solved. Hairston at guard will be all pro level - remember I said that

Don't even consider thinking outside the box! This is Buffalo. Everything we do is inferior!

Anyway, I mentioned this today to some friends at the bar, and they thought I was smoking crack. I think it is quite reasonable.

For what its worth, I think our Oline is the least of our worries.

ill keep saying it - interior lineman have been handled very well so far. it gives me a degree of faith that there was a plan in place and it didnt include levitre at 8m and that it may still be ok.

we have a new staff ! it dont mean piddly.

sir.

Don't even consider thinking outside the box! This is Buffalo. Everything we do is inferior!

Anyway, I mentioned this today to some friends at the bar, and they thought I was smoking crack. I think it is quite reasonable.

We only need at least 2 Olineman. Better than the 3 LBs we need, right?

we have 4 fellows who could staff the guard postion if i guess right.

2 are right sized and no experience to speak of . two have some Bills exp and are not the right size.

I have concerns. and we dont have Joe D anymore whom i considered top notch.

not sure

Not sure if you're kidding or not, but I actually agree with you and I posted something to this effect yesterday. If you trust Buddy picking up mid-round draft picks from other teams' practice squads with good measurables (see: Urbik, Rinehart, Chandler) then there's no reason to think Colin Brown won't be more than servicable. David Snow looked decent at the end of last year too. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Bills' OL is gonna be just fine and people will realize that Nix made the right call not re-signing Levitre.

How dare you say that! Don't you know that Nix is a southern buffoon who has no idea what he is doing!!! :wallbash:

Btw, I agree with you

I think it implies that the replacement(of which there are lots of options) will easily step up and do a solid job.

I totally agree with you that this is a good sound bite statement & history has shown that it is not as easy to do as the statement implies.

I wouldn't mind if people were to say.....

A replacement might show that they are solid, but even a sub-par OG is less detrimental to a team than most other positions, particularly if they are slotted between a solid C & LT.

It is still an opinion, but at least it cannot be instantly refuted with recent evidence to the contrary......and perhaps even supported with evidence.

That's pretty much my position. I would never dispute that Levitre is a loss, but I think there is a much deeper pool of "acceptable" G replacements as opposed to other O-line positions such as C or especially LT. Your point about a new guard going between a good C & LT is a good one, as well - people have brought up the stretches of time where guard play was lacking, but my recollection is that the center and LT play at those times was even worse. Get your anchors in place, keep them around, and "acceptable veteran" play doesn't look so bad at the guard position.

Hairston will be moving over with Pears back....problem solved. Hairston at guard will be all pro level - remember I said that

^that

Colin was a good fill in both of the last 2 seasons. He IS a mauler when it comes to the run, his pass pro, not so much but maybe they can work on it some more. Our coach was a lineman and O line coach and O Line coach has quite the resume. I am much more worried about who is behind the O line, out wide, LBs and corners TBH.

I mean really! People complaining about Levitre's departure. Then, to top it off, they start a thread whining about the "loss" of Chad Rhinehart (Rhinehard) (Rhynehardt) (Rindehardtt). Now some are suggesting we look into Willie's Colon, for crying out loud. Yet no love for CBrown...dude's a mauler! Give him a chance!

Page 6 of the Rinehart thread I asked the same question. We really need to start showing respect for our players. Screw the cap...let's show these guys some respect. :)

we have 4 fellows who could staff the guard postion if i guess right.

2 are right sized and no experience to speak of . two have some Bills exp and are not the right size.

I have concerns. and we dont have Joe D anymore whom i considered top notch.

not sure

Isn't it funny how Joe D was a complete unknown and now is considered top notch coach. He was hired as a crony of Gailey. Hmmmm.

So, we need a new left guard. Big deal. The offseason just started. 2/5's of our line came as unheralded moves.

What this team needs is playmakers!!! This is a new NFL!

Isn't it funny how Joe D was a complete unknown and now is considered top notch coach. He was hired as a crony of Gailey. Hmmmm.

So, we need a new left guard. Big deal. The offseason just started. 2/5's of our line came as unheralded moves.

What this team needs is playmakers!!! This is a new NFL!

I was not aware he was a complete unknown.

Actually he is a well respected line coach.

And he did a hell of a job.

For what it's worth he was picked up reasonably quickly by the Chargers.

This year is a new beginning of sorts though and i look forward to it.

Whatever it is.

Edited by 3rdand12

I was thinking about that and I can see it happening IF the Bills draft a new RT. Then Hairston to G and Pears to the swing tackle role or vice versa. But it would probably have to be in the top 2 or 3 picks to get an instant starter. Otherwise they'll probably pick up someone off the scrap heap to round things out and go with what they've got.

Edited by vincec

This thread was part sarcasm, part legit point. The Levitre thread was off-putting; we all liked Levitre but my God is he being overpaid by Tennessee. But good for him. I just can't see how, if we acknowledge the fact that Levitre's new contract is obscene for a guard, and thus not feasible for the Bills, that that equates to a lack of respect for the player. Furthermore, Colin Brown was quietly resigned, and quickly I might add (whereas Rhinehart was not). And given the fact that A) Marrone was an offensive linemen, and B) He has coached offensive line in the league- it may just be possible that Marrone looked at the film and actually liked Brown. Frankly, I'll trust Marrone on this one. Let's see what we have here- what the hell?

This thread was part sarcasm, part legit point. The Levitre thread was off-putting; we all liked Levitre but my God is he being overpaid by Tennessee. But good for him. I just can't see how, if we acknowledge the fact that Levitre's new contract is obscene for a guard, and thus not feasible for the Bills, that that equates to a lack of respect for the player. Furthermore, Colin Brown was quietly resigned, and quickly I might add (whereas Rhinehart was not). And given the fact that A) Marrone was an offensive linemen, and B) He has coached offensive line in the league- it may just be possible that Marrone looked at the film and actually liked Brown. Frankly, I'll trust Marrone on this one. Let's see what we have here- what the hell?

I can't believe how disrespectful you're being towards Joe D'Allesandris.

Though technically true, you imply that there isn't a lot of guards left in FA, where in fact there are many still available that are rated somewhere between where Levitre & Rinehart were.

While this is true (and I didn't mean to imply no one was available), it means the options have narrowed to someone brand new to the unit coming in. That's a bigger adjustment, even if the new guy is decent. At any rate, I'm confident that the Bills will field a team and find bodies for all the holes. But without knowing who those bodies are going to be, it's a tough sell to imply it's no big deal, etc. Again, it's a proactive vs. reactive thing...

[edit] Which brings us back around to the other wobbly argument, "you can't re-sign everyone". It is certainly true that if Levitre wanted out of Buffalo, there was no way to stop him. But, the point there is that a front office can actually plan ahead for the eventuality and have a plan B ready to execute. Maybe plan B is to draft Womack at #8. At this point, it's anything but clear and has nothing to do with "warm fuzzy" feelings.

Levitre is gone. Life goes on. Brown and Snow will have a chance to be the replacement. Sanders will be in the mix at RT will Pears and Hairston. The team can pick up a mid level O Lineman in FA or a late draft pick. The key is getting a starting 5 and building cehmisgtry as quick as possible.

we have a stable of young OL. I believe we have a couple of players who will continue to develop and will step up

What's the point of developing them and getting nothing in return? Patriots groom and "develop" players better than anyone which is why year after year they always had 2 first round picks in the draft...