This Week Fitz 's roster Bonus due.

He has already recieved 21 million of that guaranteed money, so he is likely to be cut if he does not take a pay cut. Actually they save about a half million if they cut him before the roster bonus, as opposed to keeping him. Then they would be done with him and any cap issues in the future.

There has been a fair bit of speculation on the subject of his money received.....and his guaranteed money.

I have been trying to figure this......and it has been difficult for multiple reasons.....but I think I have determined the facts of the situation.

When you look at the numbers from both of these sites....

http://www.spotrac.c...an-fitzpatrick/

http://www.overtheca...n=QB&Team=Bills

....Fitz's guaranteed money is now being stated as 15m......not the 24m originally stated. I believe this is due to the fact that his new contract was actually an extension of his old contract......and subsequently the 2011 numbers have been removed from the contract information as they fell under the 2009 contract. The originally stated 24m guaranteed would have included his original signing bonus(and guarantees) from his 2009 contract.

As I read it.....looking at both breakdowns of his contract(2012-2017).....he has been paid 13m of that guaranteed 15m. (2012 salary of 3m + 10m signing bonus).......a 2m shortfall.

Unfortunately I cannot find record of his 2009 deal. From the looks of the numbers however, it certainly looks like it was a 4 year deal(09-12) which contained an 8m signing bonus......which equates to 2m cap hit(or guaranteed money pre-given)/year.

The overall numbers for the 2012-2017 seasons add up to 57m......while the contract overall number is stated as 59m. The 2m from the 2009 contract's signing bonus makes up the last 2m shortfall.

The end result is that he has received all of his guaranteed monies. Whew!

Edited by Dibs

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's why:

If the Bills cut him before Tuesday, they’ll carry $10 million in dead money. If they cut him on Tuesday after 4:00 p.m. ET with a post-June 1 designation, his cap hit would drop to $3 million this year and $7 million in 2014.

Either way, the Bills would save $7.45 million in cash by moving on.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/10/bills-fitzpatrick-inch-toward-3-million-decision/

I didn't realize they could cut him after 4 PM on Tuesday and spread the cap hit out over 2 years. If Fitz doesn't take a paycut, which would be dumb on his part since he'd lose millions, he'll be gone.

Interesting. However, wouldn't they be leery about a $7 million cap hit in 2014? Why not clear it off the books now?

The cap will rise next year. Not by $7M most likely, but enough to off-set it.

The cap will rise next year. Not by $7M most likely, but enough to off-set it.

Take the 10m hit in a season you're all but guarenteed to suck. That would be a sound longer term strategy.

Also don't cut your starting QB when you don't have a QB on your roster is a sound short term strategy.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Take the 10m hit in a season you're all but guarenteed to suck. That would be a sound longer term strategy.

Also don't cut your starting QB when you don't have a QB on your roster is a sound short term strategy.

Carrying a $10 million back up QB who just got beaten out by a rook or TJ wouldn't be a sound short or long term strategy.

Carrying a $10 million back up QB who just got beaten out by a rook or TJ wouldn't be a sound short or long term strategy.

The same TJ who didn't make it passed 3rd string last season? And outside of maybe Geno Smith, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any of this year's rookie QB's to be starting for any team on Week 1.

Edited by bobobonators

Why would it be dumb for fitz not to take a pay cut? Either way hes laughing all the way to the bank....fitz has the bills by the balls courtesy of Mr. Nix!

If all he cares about is money already paid to him, he can laugh all the way to the bank all he wants. I'm talking about money going forward.

Here's why:

http://profootballta...llion-decision/

I didn't realize they could cut him after 4 PM on Tuesday and spread the cap hit out over 2 years. If Fitz doesn't take a paycut, which would be dumb on his part since he'd lose millions, he'll be gone.

I'd been wondering about this......thanks for the link.

If the Bills are wanting to make things as easy as possible for a rookie QB coming in this year.....they will want as much cap money to strengthen the team for this season.

I wouldn't be surprised at all(assuming that link is correct) that the Bills cut Fitz on day 1 of the new NFL year......thus avoiding the 10m cap hit this season by spreading it into 2014.

By doing this, they would get a 7.45m instant cap saving.......easily enough to sign Levitre with......and have a 7m dead cap hit next year(2014)......all for no extra cash spent.

I'd been wondering about this......thanks for the link.

If the Bills are wanting to make things as easy as possible for a rookie QB coming in this year.....they will want as much cap money to strengthen the team for this season.

I wouldn't be surprised at all(assuming that link is correct) that the Bills cut Fitz on day 1 of the new NFL year......thus avoiding the 10m cap hit this season by spreading it into 2014.

By doing this, they would get a 7.45m instant cap saving.......easily enough to sign Levitre with......and have a 7m dead cap hit next year(2014)......all for no extra cash spent.

I would certainly be all for the 7.45m savings in 2013 if that is in fact possible...Otherwise I'm in favor of cutting Fitz, taking a one year hit squarely on the chin for a crappy deal, and have no residual cap liability in 2014... B-)

I would certainly be all for the 7.45m savings in 2013 if that is in fact possible...Otherwise I'm in favor of cutting Fitz, taking a one year hit squarely on the chin for a crappy deal, and have no residual cap liability in 2014... B-)

Under the assumption that we will be drafting a QB in the 1st.....me too....100% agree.

Under the assumption that we will be drafting a QB in the 1st.....me too....100% agree.

If we draft a QB (other than Geno, maybe) in the first, we instantly become the Jacksonville Jaguars. We might as well even bring Mularkey back.