Bill Polian talks Geno & Barkley

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/03/06/polians-assessment-of-geno-barkley/

“I can tell you Geno Smith’s strength is the ability to throw the ball down the field,” said Polian. “He’s got good arm strength, he has good athleticism, and can pretty much function in any system."

" he’s a guy that can pretty much fit into every system. He has a quick release, gets the ball out quickly, so that’s a real plus."

Based on these comments, why would we pass on Geno if he was available at #8.

Ability to throw down the field, good arm strength, athletic, quick release, watching tape you know he can hit his wr in stride on the intermediate and short passes add in the fact that he's known to be a smart Qb and gym rat and I really can't see a legit argument to pass if he were sitting there @ #8.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the OP's question - why would "we" pass on Geno if he's available at #8?

Arm strength isn't everything. He's inconsistent and doesn't read defenses well from what I've heard about him.

He might be coachable, but he is not the full package. Barkley seems to have a better field presence and a decent arm and can make all the throws too. He's injured and coming off a sub-par (for him) year. He's not the full package either. And that's probably a good thing, because if either one of them were, The Bills wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting either one of them at #8.

To answer the OP's question - why would "we" pass on Geno if he's available at #8?

Arm strength isn't everything. He's inconsistent and doesn't read defenses well from what I've heard about him.

He might be coachable, but he is not the full package. Barkley seems to have a better field presence and a decent arm and can make all the throws too. He's injured and coming off a sub-par (for him) year. He's not the full package either. And that's probably a good thing, because if either one of them were, The Bills wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting either one of them at #8.

How inconsistent was he? He completed 70% of his passes.

I've been calling for Barkley for months now. Thats not to say I'd be disappointed if the Bills ended up with another QB. If they think someone else fits their system better, or even if they want to put off getting a QB until next year, and go other directions, I'd have to trust they know what they're doing. I just believe they'll go QB, though, and to me, Barkley is the best option.

I just saw an interview yesterday with a good CB coming out this year, who played against Luck and Barkley, and this kid says both are similar in defending against, both are excellent QB's, and in this kids opinion, Barkley will make an excellent NFL QB. I fear, however, other NFL clubs are also equally high on him, and quietly hoping the rest of the clubs are buying into this 2nd, 3rd round talent talk. If he's there at 8 I don't think the Bills can pass him up.

We had some qb's with good athleticism and arm strength and that didn't turn out too well for us. But id be fine with Geno. Please not Barkley though. I hope the rumors are true and Arizona takes him

Give me the QB that performed the best in poor weather conditions. Wind, snow, rain. I don't think either of these guys are it.

The Bills play in a division where weather is a constant factor whether it's Miami or Foxboro. There are no domes, no Chargers weather.

This is why I don't like Barkley. Has played nearly every down of his football life in the confines of comfy SoCal.

Smith while growing up in Florida, has more elements experience with WV weather but performed below average.

I'd prefer the Bills get a QB in the 2nd. I don't think there is value at #8 this year for QBs.

Give me the QB that performed the best in poor weather conditions. Wind, snow, rain. I don't think either of these guys are it.

The Bills play in a division where weather is a constant factor whether it's Miami or Foxboro. There are no domes, no Chargers weather.

This is why I don't like Barkley. Has played nearly every down of his football life in the confines of comfy SoCal.

Smith while growing up in Florida, has more elements experience with WV weather but performed below average.

I'd prefer the Bills get a QB in the 2nd. I don't think there is value at #8 this year for QBs.

I think the weather thing is so overrated. How many terrible weather games did the Bills play in this year? Also, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are from Cali. They seem to do fine in the elements.

And what is this value thing when it comes to QBs? Why would you risk losing a QB you like because Mel Kiper says he should go in the 2nd round? It is the most important position in football. If you are willing to wait on a guy so you get good value, is he really the type of guy you want to build your franchise around?

Edited by C.Biscuit97

I'd say it's a virtual certainty that the Bills will draft either Smith or Barkley on day one of the draft.

My money is on Barkley...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

I'd say it's a virtual certainty that Geno will not be there when it's our pick. Barkley probably will be.

Edited by bobobonators

I think the weather thing is so overrated. How many terrible weather games did the Bills play in this year? Also, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are from Cali. They seem to do fine in the elements.

And what is this value thing when it comes to QBs? Why would you risk losing a QB you like because Mel Kiper says he should go in the 2nd round? It is the most important position in football. If you are willing to wait on a guy so you get good value, is he really the type of guy you want to build your franchise around?

This^^ the weather they played in is the last criteria I would use when figuring out which QB to draft.

Also, I wish we had Polian's luck with QBs. Inherit Jim Kelly and get the #1 overall pick with one of the greatest QB prospects ever (he could have accomplished that twice if the Colts didn't let him go this year). That will really help you become a great GM.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

I agree. The notion is kind of ridiculous. We're going to let weather influence the direction of our franchise? Weather is completely unpredictable and random. How many blizzard games have we had in the past 5 years?

At the end of the day what's probably the most important attribute a QB can have in cold, "windy" buffalo games? A strong arm. Geno has that. After that, the whole weather thing is a bunch of hogwash.

I agree. The notion is kind of ridiculous. We're going to let weather influence the direction of our franchise? Weather is completely unpredictable and random. How many blizzard games have we had in the past 5 years?

At the end of the day what's probably the most important attribute a QB can have in cold, "windy" buffalo games? A strong arm. Geno has that. After that, the whole weather thing is a bunch of hogwash.

Yup. I think the biggest thing they said Kelly had was a tight spiral to cut the wind. I love a lot about Fitz, but he doesn't throw a tight spiral. I think Geno and Barkley throw pretty nice footballs.

I dont see Geno lasting to 8...either a team ahead of the Bills will draft him like the Cards or a team will trade up ahead of them

if they miss out on Geno I would like to see them trade back up into the bottom of the first and get Bray

Also, I wish we had Polian's luck with QBs. Inherit Jim Kelly and get the #1 overall pick with one of the greatest QB prospects ever (he could have accomplished that twice if the Colts didn't let him go this year). That will really help you become a great GM.

I wouldn't call it simply "luck". Polian did have the opportunities, but it was also a key component of his plan to draft/find his franchise QB immediately and build the team around him. The Jaguars waited 9 years before drafting a QB in the 1st round. (Kelly was drafted the year before Polian got the job in Buffalo and went to the USFL; Collins had a rather mediocre, journeyman career.)