Close call on an African hunt

I am a hunter and agree with you guys. I hunt deer, turkey and grouse. Have raised my son to respect the animal and eat whatever you harvest. There is a thriving population of deer, turkeys and grouse in our area based on this premise (you must thin out the herd and population each year to allow continued health within the species...I have literally had turkeys fly into the side of my truck and many deer are seen laying on the side of the road to support the argument that overpopulation is a real problem). We also have a shooting preserve in the area which I totally disagree with. This place has hundreds of deer (Axis deer, Red Stag, whitetail, mule deer, etc) and they are contained in a 1000 acre fenced in preserve. People pay thousands of dollars to drive around in a gator, set up and stalk a trophy deer...what a friggin joke. There is no pride in shooting an animal that is placed in front of you and has no means of escape. No sport involved whatsoever.

We used to allow the local fish & game club release pheasants on our farm so they could "go wild". These "sportsmen" would show up a week later and shoot the pheasants and they were walking around out in the open fields. Not flying, walking. The pheasants were essentially nothing more than chickens and they called this "hunting".

We got so disgusted that we stop the practice after a couple of years.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mostly object to hunting for no reasons other than to stroke your epeen. Especially in an animal like a lion. No other reason to hunt a lion. If you were hunting and a lion posed a threat, I'm perfectly fine with taking that shot. But to put yourself in the situation to get mauled by the lion running at you, yeah, I have no problem with that guy getting his head taken off by that lion. He put himself in that position.

He probably had little problem with it either. That's why he wanted to hunt lion.

Point of note: safari companies don't offer refunds to next of kin, and are largely immune to civil action, if you get killed on a hunting safari. Because when you're hunting Cape Buffalo, there's a "reasonable risk" of getting killed by a Cape Buffalo (or lion, or hippo, or black mamba...), and the company's not liable.

And guns aren't nearly the equalizer that people think. In the setting of that video, the lion actually has a slight advantage (over that distance, as fast as a lion is, the hunter has time for three shots if he's lucky. and lions are more resistant to bullets than hunters are to lions.) That hunter is REALLY lucky to be uninjured.

He probably had little problem with it either. That's why he wanted to hunt lion.

Point of note: safari companies don't offer refunds to next of kin, and are largely immune to civil action, if you get killed on a hunting safari. Because when you're hunting Cape Buffalo, there's a "reasonable risk" of getting killed by a Cape Buffalo (or lion, or hippo, or black mamba...), and the company's not liable.

And guns aren't nearly the equalizer that people think. In the setting of that video, the lion actually has a slight advantage (over that distance, as fast as a lion is, the hunter has time for three shots if he's lucky. and lions are more resistant to bullets than hunters are to lions.) That hunter is REALLY lucky to be uninjured.

again, regardless of advantage, you don't see the lions going into the gated communities of Jupiter Florida hunting people. The lion is hunted because some 4ft tall rich bastard wants a lion head on his wall. He wants to be able to tell everyone what a big man he was when he shot the lion.

It's actually no different from 4 ft tall egotistical Nepolean types driving around in full sized pickups that have been raised. The short little F%#K actually needs a ladder to get up into the truck.

If you disagree, you probably drive a raised Chevy Silverado 2500.

We used to allow the local fish & game club release pheasants on our farm so they could "go wild". These "sportsmen" would show up a week later and shoot the pheasants and they were walking around out in the open fields. Not flying, walking. The pheasants were essentially nothing more than chickens and they called this "hunting".

We got so disgusted that we stop the practice after a couple of years.

Did you ever see someone trying to chase the pheasants with a big bowl and trap them and then shoot them? This is a game called "pheasant under glass" and it is disgusting.

i don't know if I take your Elephant story serious or not. It sounds like something anyone could make up and it's so crazy it could be fact or complete BS. It might make sense. I could see it being true, I could also see it being total crap by pro-hunters.

I'll back DC Tom up on this one. I saw studies on this in the late 1980's.

The logic is quite sound when you think about it.

I've seen other similar studies relating to the polystyrene McDonalds hamburger containers actually being better for the environment than the cardboard ones.....as well as one covering the concept that recycling does more damage to the environment than not doing recycling.

The biggest lesson in life that I have learned is that most things have far more complexities than the average person wants to know about.

Some years ago I saw an expose on (I believe) 20/20 about this hunting camp in N. California. For a fee you were able to hunt a cougar on foot and you could only use a pistol. Here's the catch: a day before the hunt, a cougar is shot with a tranquilizer and a radio transmitter is attached to his ear. The next day the "hunter" client is able to track the animal and shoot it. This particular client found his cougar up in a tree, took aim, and pumped a half dozen shots into the animal. And he was just high-fivin' everybody in the group.

One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. I wonder if that company is still in business.

Edited by K-9

Some years ago I saw an expose on (I believe) 20/20 about this hunting camp in N. California. For a fee you were able to hunt a cougar on foot and you could only use a pistol. Here's the catch: a day before the hunt, a cougar is shot with a tranquilizer and a radio transmitter is attached to his ear. The next day the "hunter" client is able to track the animal and shoot it. This particular client found his cougar up in a tree, took aim, and pumped a half dozen shots into the animal. And he was just high-fivin' everybody in the group.

One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. I wonder if that company is still in business.

That is killing. Not hunting.

isnt it Napolean?

I thought so. But he knows better than we do, because his boss is short.

Safari hunting is almost as dangerous as setting DC Tom lose in a all u can eat buffet armed with a fork and spoon.

Would've been funnier if you'd said T-Bone. Or if you'd said setting me loose in a room full of idiots.

I thought so. But he knows better than we do, because his boss is short.

Would've been funnier if you'd said T-Bone. Or if you'd said setting me loose in a room full of idiots.

Isn't your presence here an example of this?

Did you ever see someone trying to chase the pheasants with a big bowl and trap them and then shoot them? This is a game called "pheasant under glass" and it is disgusting.

No but I'll tell you, these pheasants were so stupid we used to have to stop running the equipment in the field because they wouldn't get out of the way and they'd get sucked in and shredded. When the "hunters" would pull into the field and the pheasants would run to the truck looking for food.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

No but I'll tell you, these pheasants were so stupid we used to have to stop running the equipment in the field because wouldn't get out of the way and they'd get sucked in and shredded. When the "hunters" would pull into the field the pheasants would run to the truck looking for food.

Who decided to put the "h" in?