Close call on an African hunt

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to hear that story Jim.

I was on a fly in float out river moose hunt. The Kashwitna,if you care to look on a map. Just me. Super cub drops me off on a sand bar. Plan is to use my 11 foot inflatable raft to float the 30 miles out, hunting along the way. Well it was geting late when I was dropped off so I just set my tent up and did some moose calls nearby.

Climb out of the tent next morning and damned if a legal bull is not standing right where I was calling the day before, beating his anthers on a bush. I shoot him and he drops like a stone. 30-06 180 Nosler if you're interested. Now the work begins. I spent all that day cutting up moose meat into chunks I can carry and get in the raft.The meat stayed near camp, I had no choice.

Now the Kash is full of salmon, therefore bears brown and black. That night I get woke up by some thing swatting at the tent. hard, angery swatting. I am scared silly and start shooting blindly with my revolver. The swatting stops so I get my flashlight and go out and find a very dead brown bear next to the tent.

Now I know some of the posters on this thread will call me a coward for doing that but I can live with it.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

I was on a fly in float out river moose hunt. The Kashwitna,if you care to look on a map. Just me. Super cub drops me off on a sand bar. Plan is to use my 11 foot inflatable raft to float the 30 miles out, hunting along the way. Well it was geting late when I was dropped off so I just set my tent up and did some moose calls nearby.

Climb out of the tent next morning and damned if a legal bull is not standing right where I was calling the day before, beating his anthers on a bush. I shoot him and he drops like a stone. 30-06 180 Nosler if you're interested. Now the work begins. I spent all that day cutting up moose meat into chunks I can carry and get in the raft.The meat stayed near camp, I had no choice.

Now the Kash is full of salmon, therefore bears brown and black. That night I get woke up by some thing swatting at the tent. hard, angery swatting. I am scared silly and start shooting blindly with my revolver. The swatting stops so I get my flashlight and go out and find a very dead brown bear next to the tent.

Now I know some of the posters on this thread will call me a coward for doing that but I can live with it.

Why didn't you just play dead while banging pots and pans together and flailing your arms to make yourself as big as possible, coward?

How small does your penis have to be before you decide "I need to take a high powered rifle and kill one of the most amazing animals on the planet"? I think they need to change the rules. You want to kill a lion? Make it a fair fight, here's a knife, good luck.

We're supposed to be an "evolved" species yet our desire to prove our manhood by killing **** just because we can is proof positive that we're still cavemen. Trophy hunting is disgusting and ranks riugh up there with whaling imo.

Watching a bunch of rich white guys killing some a magnificient creature is nothing short of repulsive.

I agree with you Mike.

Some other guys are making it seem like the local african tribes can only benefit from the killing of these creatures. Stupid! They cannot profit from conservation efforts or expanding territories for the animals??????

I'm done with this thread. Getting attacked like a poor lion here. Next thing I know I'm going to get shot in the brain by a 4 ft tall egotistical brat driving a 3 ft raised Silverado. Enjoy your hunting defenseless animals when someone took you out, showed you what to hunt, where to hunt, when to hunt and where to point.

I'm done with this thread. Getting attacked like a poor lion here. Next thing I know I'm going to get shot in the brain by a 4 ft tall egotistical brat driving a 3 ft raised Silverado. Enjoy your hunting defenseless animals when someone took you out, showed you what to hunt, where to hunt, when to hunt and where to point.

Enjoy your grapes.

No, you're not. The lion stood an even chance.

You actually pitched a tent next to a giant pile of butchered moose? Dude, you're lucky you're even alive, that wasn't exactly smart. Your life isn't worth a pile of meat.

When I camp in the Adirondacks I keep all food in a bear bag well downwind from camp and we only have black bears to worry about.

You actually pitched a tent next to a giant pile of butchered moose? Dude, you're lucky you're even alive, that wasn't exactly smart. Your life isn't worth a pile of meat.

When I camp in the Adirondacks I keep all food in a bear bag well downwind from camp and we only have black bears to worry about.

Jesus did you read the post? THE MOOSE CAME TO MY TENT, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

Hunting does not involve a high powered riffle. This guy called his actions a sport. That is much different then survival, and having to choose your life over another life to go on. However, when you choose to enter an environment where you withdraw control and the ability to protect yourself you do so at your own risk. Any time I go near my cattle I realize that at any moment I could be killed, injured or chased.

To avoid it: Cattle farming is not all that fun, either. Having to put down an injured animal, having to cull out the under performing animals, and not being able to yield a product for a consumer is the business. But, those choices are not hard, and at the end of the day I make sure that everything I do is done so with the utmost respect to using the resources available. If an animal is down, I can call a rendering plant and they will pick it up. If an animal is to be culled I sell it at market. If an animal is used for my production then I make sure all parts and bits are used - from the hide to the blood.

Jesus did you read the post? THE MOOSE CAME TO MY TENT, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

Jim, you should know by now that you should not be going in to a Moose's tent alone at night... that's what you get. :nana:

I will not tell you the stories because you would be incapable of understanding them in your urban world. Nor do I care to pass on my Alaska hunting stories to someone who cannot understand, much less appreciate them.

Go on, bait me. You will never understand a Grizz trying to rip your head off till you have shoved a gun in his face and blew his brains all over your sleeping bag.

Enough. Now go shop for grapes and let me be a coward.

Tough guy. :lol:

You walk through the woods with a gun, I walk through Oakland at night with nothing. Chicken **** you are.

Edited by Chef Jim

If you camped next to the kill site you're even luckier to be alive. A bear's sense of smell is insanely good. I've seen estimates that bears can smell carrion up to 18 miles away.

I've watch black bears pull the trunks off of cars, I can't imagine what a brown is capable of.