Close call on an African hunt

I'm done with this thread. Getting attacked like a poor lion here. Next thing I know I'm going to get shot in the brain by a 4 ft tall egotistical brat driving a 3 ft raised Silverado. Enjoy your hunting defenseless animals when someone took you out, showed you what to hunt, where to hunt, when to hunt and where to point.

What's your obsession with trucks? Did one of them steal your gf?

Yeah. Chicken ****. Come to Oakland with me and let's take a walk down International Blvd. Where you hang out has nothing on that place.

Nothing on?

A Jim divided amongst itself cannot survive.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you camped next to the kill site you're even luckier to be alive. A bear's sense of smell is insanely good. I've seen estimates that bears can smell carrion up to 18 miles away.

I've watch black bears pull the trunks off of cars, I can't imagine what a brown is capable of.

A brown bear can smell bull **** a mile away. I mean mooseshit.

If you camped next to the kill site you're even luckier to be alive. A bear's sense of smell is insanely good. I've seen estimates that bears can smell carrion up to 18 miles away.

I've watch black bears pull the trunks off of cars, I can't imagine what a brown is capable of.

You still don't seem to understand the kill site came to me.

Lets start over. I set the tent up, next morning I shoot a moose 20 yards from the tent. He put himself there, not me.

Lets start over. I set the tent up, next morning I shoot a moose 20 yards from the tent. He put himself there, not me.

Look out Ned, he's coming right for us!! :rolleyes:

I think he means.....why didn't you move your camp?

But with all that fresh meat, why did the bear come after you instead?

I don't think we're getting the whole story here.

ya. Can't forget what you were doing in your tent with all that peanut butter.

Jesus did you read the post? THE MOOSE CAME TO MY TENT, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

Gee, I can't imagine why.....

Well it was geting late when I was dropped off so I just set my tent up and did some moose calls nearby.

Climb out of the tent next morning and damned if a legal bull is not standing right where I was calling the day before

Gee, I can't imagine why.....

Well it was geting late when I was dropped off so I just set my tent up and did some moose calls nearby.

Climb out of the tent next morning and damned if a legal bull is not standing right where I was calling the day before

Ahh ya call em and hope for the best. I really didn't expect him to show up at my tent flap however.

Ahh ya call em and hope for the best. I really didn't expect him to show up at my tent flap however.

I'm guessing this was many moons ago when you were a bit green behind the ears ; - )

The guy I used to work for made bows of osage and mulberry that he harvested. He made shafts out of viburnum and cedar. He learned how to flint knap arrowheads.

He laminated his "self bows" (and the occasional recurve) with deer ligament.

He scouted and killed any buck or doe that he had a good shot at and knew he wouldn't miss and only wound because his effective range was only about 25 yards.

He and his family ate everything that he killed. He killed white tail, mulies, caribou, and elk with his bows.

He never went trophy hunting.

Big game safari hunters remind me of those "mountaineers" who have sherpas pull them to the summit of Everest.

edit: Last time I talked to him he was looking to go spear hunting for wild boar.

Yeah, he's a real hunter.

Why would anyone want to shoot a lion?

This is a good question. Unfortunately I can't think of a single good reason.

Maybe some of the others can enlighten me?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Maybe he thought you had a swing set and wanted to play....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZroC_iYub-w

That guys insane. I woulda called F&G and had that moose shot up with more drugs than Layne Stanly.

Edit-I looked at it again and that guy IS F&G. One kick and he's meat.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

You should go out with the Bigfoot hunters...they do squatch calls every episode but have never lured one in...maybe its the timbre in your voice

I'll back DC Tom up on this one. I saw studies on this in the late 1980's.

The logic is quite sound when you think about it.

The biggest lesson in life that I have learned is that most things have far more complexities than the average person wants to know about.

Unintended consequences...it's a B word eh?

Happened in the Bay 15 years or so ago...Rockfish were getting overfished, so put a ban on all fishing, including sport for 5 years or so. Ban had its desired effect, the the Rock population came roaring back, and the limits to this day are pretty restrictive. Only problem is Rock love to eat crab, especially young crab, and with all the grasses where young crab hide dying due to the the algae blooms, the Blue Crab population got decimated. Now those tasty fuggers cost 5x what they did 20 years ago!

Edited by plenzmd1