Carson Palmer?

I haven't seen anything written about him lately other than the speculation that the Raiders are interested in Geno Smith because him and Pryor are similar type QB, mobile, athletic, etc, etc and Palmer is not and would be the odd man out because of the escalators in his contract. If so would there be any interest in Palmer?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to see how Carson would fare with a reliable rushing attack and strong offensive line.. he still has a strong arm.

But he seems pretty washed up and I doubt he would improve the team.

while I dont want him by any means...what makes you say he seems pretty washed up?? he had a good year chucking the ball if you take away the 20 interceptions...watching him play, he still looked very capable as a strong armed QB (his problem is mental, making bad reads/judgements...not physical)

He played for the Raiders, remember Randy Moss on the Raiders?

Id take him in a heartbeat. Id even take his redonkulous contract. I admit he is not that great and over the hill but he is still two times better than Fitz.

At this stage I think we need a stop-gap QB. Most people dont like any QB in this draft. I only like one and I dont like enough to take him in the 1st round, and I think he will be gone by our 2nd round pick.

I would try anyone - anyone - over another year with Fitz.

Why not Flynn?

He played for the Raiders, remember Randy Moss on the Raiders?

Id take him in a heartbeat. Id even take his redonkulous contract. I admit he is not that great and over the hill but he is still two times better than Fitz.

At this stage I think we need a stop-gap QB. Most people dont like any QB in this draft. I only like one and I dont like enough to take him in the 1st round, and I think he will be gone by our 2nd round pick.

I would try anyone - anyone - over another year with Fitz.

Why not Flynn?

Because Flynn in a hand full of starts has looked really good, including setting packer single game passing yards and TD records. So the prevailing "wisdom" on this board, is that means he's really bad.

All day. He's a bona fide QB. If he comes for free, why not. He'd have a much bigger impact in 2013 that any other option.

Here are 2 qbs with their stats for the last 2 years, and their 2013 salary (bonus included)

QB A

past 2 seasons: 7232 yards, 48 tds, 39 ints, 659 completions, 1074 attempts (61.35%, 6.73 YPA)

2013 salary: 7.25 million

QB B

past 2 seasons: 6771 yards, 35 tds, 30 ints, 544 completions, 893 attempts (60.91%, 7.58 YPA)

2013 salary: 13 million

This probably isn't a surprise, but just to be clear, we're trying to run QB A out of town b/c he throws too many interceptions, makes too much money, is too old to have a future, and will never be a legitimate qb. Most people on this board have claimed they never want to see him start a game for this team ever again.

Meanwhile, this thread is in support of signing QB B to replace QB A, despite QB B being older, more expensive, and throwing a higher rate of interceptions vs touchdowns.

Do I have that correct?

while I dont want him by any means...what makes you say he seems pretty washed up?? he had a good year chucking the ball if you take away the 20 interceptions...watching him play, he still looked very capable as a strong armed QB (his problem is mental, making bad reads/judgements...not physical)

Well you highlighted half the reasons above.. if you think he's still got it then why dont you want him?

Here are 2 qbs with their stats for the last 2 years, and their 2013 salary (bonus included)

QB A

past 2 seasons: 7232 yards, 48 tds, 39 ints, 659 completions, 1074 attempts (61.35%, 6.73 YPA)

QB B

past 2 seasons: 6771 yards, 35 tds, 30 ints, 544 completions, 893 attempts (60.91%, 7.58 YPA)

This probably isn't a surprise, but just to be clear, we're trying to run QB A out of town b/c he throws too many interceptions, makes too much money, is too old to have a future, and will never be a legitimate qb. Most people on this board have claimed they never want to see him start a game for this team ever again.

Meanwhile, this thread is in support of signing QB B to replace QB A, despite QB B being older, more expensive, and throwing a higher rate of interceptions vs touchdowns.

Do I have that correct?

Agreed. I just don't see this as an upgrade, at all

Hell to the NO... IMO, Campbell played better than Palmer did, before getting hurt, and I wouldn't take him either. Garrard is the veteran I've always preferred. He's got that Crohn's disease, but his arm and accuracy are still good. -Looks like the Jets will sign him. Oh, well..

Because Flynn in a hand full of starts has looked really good, including setting packer single game passing yards and TD records. So the prevailing "wisdom" on this board, is that means he's really bad.

Would not mind seeing him in a Bills Uniform for a fourth rounder. Only concern would be that Joe Philibin did not sign him after taking the Dolphins HC Job

QB A

QB B

Do I have that correct?

The problem is you're comparing guys on different teams in different situations. Muxh better would be comparing them when they were on the same team in cincinatti. In 2007 they went 7-9 with palmer. 2008 palmer was IR'd early in the season with an elbow injury, they went 4-1-11 with Fitz. In 2009 when Palmer returned they went 10-6 and made the playoffs. Also note this was a receiver-rich team

Not that im chomping at the bit to get palmer here, but let's skip this analysis of Fitz and his stats that are often rolled out.

Palmer is the better qb and if he started for us in 2013, although my expectations wouldn't be too high I'd still watch the games. If fitz starts again in my mind at least guarantees another bad season and unwatchable qb play, and for first time ever I wouldn't tune in to bills games.

The problem is you're comparing guys on different teams in different situations. Muxh better would be comparing them when they were on the same team in cincinatti. In 2007 they went 7-9 with palmer. 2008 palmer was IR'd early in the season with an elbow injury, they went 4-1-11 with Fitz. In 2009 when Palmer returned they went 10-6 and made the playoffs. Also note this was a receiver-rich team

So for a better comparison, you'd compare them from six years ago instead of last year? When Palmer was 27, in his prime, and had never retired from being a professional athlete, and when Fitzpatrick was a backup with no starting experience thrust into taking over a team mid-season? And you think that's a fair and meaningful comparison?

If we can get the 2007 Palmer or the 2007 Fitz, then sign me up for Palmer. Last I checked, however, we can only get the 2013 Palmer or the 2013 Fitz, and they're virtually the same player -- but one is older and more expensive.

Not that im chomping at the bit to get palmer here, but let's skip this analysis of Fitz and his stats that are often rolled out.

Palmer is the better qb and if he started for us in 2013, although my expectations wouldn't be too high I'd still watch the games.

If we're not allowed to use stats or actual performance from this decade to back this up, I'm not sure how you can argue that "Palmer is the better qb" right now.

QB A

QB B

Do I have that correct?

Palmer can throw the ball 15-30 yards downfield with ease. Fritz has to out his entire body behind them and still comes up short or 10 yards over the WRs head. Palmer is a much better QB. Those that use stats to equate ability are clueless. I'm not saying Palmer is the answer, but he'd allow our offense to open up and our play callers to call 20-50 yards passes and not immediately second guess themselves or cringe. Fritz sucks. Palmer is better. Stats are lol.

Last I checked, however, we can only get the 2013 Palmer or the 2013 Fitz, and they're virtually the same player -- but one is older and more expensive.

If we're not allowed to use stats or actual performance from this decade to back this up, I'm not sure how you can argue that "Palmer is the better qb" right now.

Because Palmer can make all the throws necessary to run a legit pro style attack. Fritz cannot. Fritzs ability, or lack thereof, dictates the plays that are called. Palmers throwing ability allows for a real playbook and forces defenses to respect the deep ball, hence helping our running game and passing game. Look at stats all you want, I'll look at the play on the field. It's a much better indicator on who the better player is.