Question for the draftniks and college gurus - which QBs are clutch

For those of you who, unlike me, actually know something about college ball, which of the QBs in this year's draft are best in the clutch?

The clutch could mean 4th quarter, against the best teams, when they are behind, when they are on the road, against serious pass rush pressure, etc.

To me that's the most important factor for a QB. I don't watch college football at all. So like many people I spend this time of year watching every YouTube clip and reading every blog/mock I can find. But I haven't been able to figure out which of these guys really bring it when life gets difficult.

Smith, Barkley, Manuel, Nassib, Wilson, Bray, Scott, Jones, Glennon? Who's got sand?

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

Honestly, none of these guys can really be called clutch. If my team was down 6 with two minutes to go and we needed a touchdown I'm not sure who out of this group I'd want. Maybe geno smith? But, IMO none of them can be called clutch.

Well that's depressing.

It's tough - in a short season, with a couple cream puffs in the schedule to boot, you only get so many shots to "show it" in a down 6 2 mins to go situation.

I watched geno more than any other and he had some close wins and losses. Beating a top 25 Baylor team throwing a million tds to win 70-63 was pretty high pressure. Beating a top 25 Texas 48-45 the following week was also a good win.

Lost in OT by one when tcu got a two pointer, but he had put up a td in his opportunity.

Geno gets beat up for the losses bad but in the WVU collapse the defense gave up an average of about 49 points per game over a 5 game stretch of losses, and thats disregarding the 45 and 63 they gave up in 2 wins before that.

7 game run of 51 points allowed on average.

He's not without any question marks, but that's pretty awful to deal with over a 2 month period.

Edited by NoSaint

Well that's depressing.

It's depressing that we decided to take a QB this year...when I was screaming at my tv for Russell Wilson in the third last year. Well, what are ya going to do?

GO BILLS

Super Bowl or Bust

Well that's depressing.

We're Bills' fans--of course, the year that Buddy finally concedes that we need a QB is the year the QBs are mediocre at best (frankly, the guy should have already been fired--the miscalculation on the Fitz extension and not admitting/correcting his mishandling of the QB situation were sufficient justification--it made no sense to keep him around Whaley is more than ready and is surely qualified and is knowledgeable about the roster so there is institutional knowledge for the new coaching staff to rely on). We're not snake-bitten to the degree Cubs' fans or Red Sox fans are (or "were" in the latter instance) but we get f'ed on a regular basis. Sure some of you old-timers and those with better memories than me can come up with a load of examples--from "wide right" to "The Music City Miracle" (on a massive scale) to bad luck with the draft (imagine if the Niners hadn't picked Patrick Willis one spot ahead of us the year we needed a MLB, imagine if Seattle hadn't "over-reached" and drafted Russell Wilson in the 3rd round last year when we were allegedly ready to nab him in the 4th), etc...

It's depressing that we decided to take a QB this year...when I was screaming at my tv for Russell Wilson in the third last year. Well, what are ya going to do?

GO BILLS

Super Bowl or Bust

Hook a microphone to you tv and connect it to the bills draft room?

It's tough - in a short season, with a couple cream puffs in the schedule to boot, you only get so many shots to "show it" in a down 6 2 mins to go situation.

Excellent point. In pro football the vast majority of games are close.

In college football it's very different, and the season is shorter and careers are shorter.

I believe Ryan Nassib lead a couple 2 minute drives for victories over Louisville and Missouri. Both were huge wins....Louisville was ranked in the top 20, and the Missouri win clinched bowl eligibility.

There's probably a lot of posters here who don't appreciate that you pointed this out.

I believe Ryan Nassib lead a couple 2 minute drives for victories over Louisville and Missouri. Both were huge wins....Louisville was ranked in the top 20, and the Missouri win clinched bowl eligibility.

Yep...And I'm pretty sure Barkley had some clutch performances in his USC years...He also lost a lot of big games...But anyway... B-)

There's probably a lot of posters here who don't appreciate that you pointed this out.

Yep...And I'm pretty sure Barkley had some clutch performances in his USC years...He also lost a lot of big games...But anyway... B-)

Didn't take long San Jose....lol.

For the record, I'm not a Nassib guy. The OP's question was which of this year's QB prospects were the best "in the clutch." Being a Syracuse fan, those last second drives by Nassib for wins against Louisville and Missouri stood out to me. Nassib took the reins when the games were on the line, and he led his team to victories. That is clutch to me.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

For the record, I'm not a Nassib guy. The OP's question was which of this year's QB prospects were the best "in the clutch." Being a Syracuse fan, those last second drives by Nassib for wins against Louisville and Missouri stood out to me. Nassib took the reins when the games were on the line, and he led his team to victories. That is clutch to me.

On account of that silly Superman outfit you wear, I can never tell when you're being serious.

For those of you who, unlike me, actually know something about college ball, which of the QBs in this year's draft are best in the clutch?

The clutch could mean 4th quarter, against the best teams, when they are behind, when they are on the road, against serious pass rush pressure, etc.

To me that's the most important factor for a QB. I don't watch college football at all. So like many people I spend this time of year watching every YouTube clip and reading every blog/mock I can find. But I haven't been able to figure out which of these guys really bring it when life gets difficult.

Smith, Barkley, Manuel, Nassib, Wilson, Bray, Scott, Jones, Glennon? Who's got sand?

none of them, that is why this is a poor QB draft they all have talents and flaws or are just average.

The most clutch QB in College football is Johny Manziel and hopefully by some miracle we draft him next year.

Taj Boyd ! I know he isn't coming out this year but did you see his bowl game ?

Talk about a stud QB now thats what i'm talkin bout !!

I still can't believe the NFL draft advisory board gave Taj Boyd a middle round grade. I think he would've contended Geno Smith to be the first QB taken in the draft. Certainly a solid first round grade. There was no reason for him not to come out. I think a lot of it had to do with the advisory board clearly giving him bad advice, if you ask me. Wished he was an option for the Bills in this years draft.