Question for the draftniks and college gurus - which QBs are clutch

It's tough - in a short season, with a couple cream puffs in the schedule to boot, you only get so many shots to "show it" in a down 6 2 mins to go situation.

This.

I dont think there is enough evidence to say that any of them ARE or ARENT clutch. Close games that come down to a last drive dont happen much in college football.

I think I was more surprised at how bad 22 was for Baylor. That game was a track meet.

The worry I have with Geno is when their season went bad, he wasnt able to right the ship. Thats a big problem for Fitz too

I'm not worried about Geno, that WVU defense wasone of the worst i've ever seen. You could have put Peyton Manning back there on offense,and it wasn't gonna matter,he would have lost.

Thats an amazing achievement.

I just worry how he deals with things when it gets tough. The NFL is a tough place to play. Will he bring the team up or go down with them?

Its a question you have to ask

I've heard he's not a fiery guy, but he is a worker,and he's always trying to improve. And I don't neccesarilly need my QB to be all rah rah. Let your play speak for you.

It's depressing that we decided to take a QB this year...when I was screaming at my tv for Russell Wilson in the third last year. Well, what are ya going to do?

GO BILLS

Super Bowl or Bust

so after 16 games are you convinced Russell Wilson is a franchise qb ? despite throwing for under 200 yards in 9 games

Seahawks won with a tough running game (Lynch 14 games our of 16 with 80 or more yards) and a smoothering defense

Wilson is fun to watch but I don't believe he's a franschise qb. Can you win with him- yep if you have a killer running attack and a tremendous defense

so after 16 games are you convinced Russell Wilson is a franchise qb ? despite throwing for under 200 yards in 9 games

Seahawks won with a tough running game (Lynch 14 games our of 16 with 80 or more yards) and a smoothering defense

Wilson is fun to watch but I don't believe he's a franschise qb. Can you win with him- yep if you have a killer running attack and a tremendous defense

I believe he's a franchise quarterback.

We'll know soon enough.

Thats an amazing achievement.

I just worry how he deals with things when it gets tough. The NFL is a tough place to play. Will he bring the team up or go down with them?

Its a question you have to ask

They allowed over 50 points a game over a 2 month stretch.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00/gamelog//

Honestly, none of these guys can really be called clutch. If my team was down 6 with two minutes to go and we needed a touchdown I'm not sure who out of this group I'd want. Maybe geno smith? But, IMO none of them can be called clutch.

Geno Smith has actually been pretty terrible when playing in stressful situations. Look at the end of this season.

none of them, that is why this is a poor QB draft they all have talents and flaws or are just average.

The most clutch QB in College football is Johny Manziel and hopefully by some miracle we draft him next year.

Manziel had one game where he lead a winning drive in the last two minutes. He was bad in the 2nd half vs LSU and UF.

Analytics in other sports and I say this because I haven't read any that would break down a QB's numbers in the last 4 minutes of a game point to most guys playing the way they always play in "stressful," or "clutch" situations. If it's true in football a bad QB will be bad in the last 4 minutes of a game i.e. Fitz and a good QB will be good in the last two minutes i.e. Brady.

The key to being clutch, as pointed out by Bill Barnwell, is to have the ball bounce your way early in your career. Play Brady's exact career in reverse and he'd be portrayed as an 8year choker up until the Panthers kicker booting the ball out of bounds. Likewise nobody cares that Big Ben came up small in a home game vs the Bengals with the playoffs on the line. Meanwhile Matt Ryan is not clutch even though he shredded the 49ers for 400+ yards.

For the record, I'm not a Nassib guy. The OP's question was which of this year's QB prospects were the best "in the clutch." Being a Syracuse fan, those last second drives by Nassib for wins against Louisville and Missouri stood out to me. Nassib took the reins when the games were on the line, and he led his team to victories. That is clutch to me.

You had the right idea here, but just to clarify for everyone, the two last minute drive wins this season by Nassib were against South Florida and Missouri, not Louisville. (Although it should be noted that because of Nassib, the Louisville game was pretty much over by halftime, as Syracuse won big).

Against South Florida, Nassib had to come back from a 23-3 halftime deficit. With 1:23 left in the game, South Florida kicked a FG to open up a 5 point lead. After the kickoff, Nassib drove down the field and threw a TD on the last play of the game to win.

Against Missouri, Syracuse gave up a FG with 1:52 left in the game to give Missouri a 3 point lead. Nassib proceeded to drive down the field and throw a 17 yard TD pass to Alec Lemon with 20 seconds left to take the victory.

One other "clutch" performance to point out from Nassib this past season was the first game of the year against Northwestern. Syracuse was down 35-13 in the 3rd quarter. Nassib then threw 4 unanswered TDs to take a 41-35 lead with 2:40 to go in the game. All the defense had to do was hold Northwestern out of the endzone. Unfortunately, the defense didn't do it's job, so Nassib didn't get the win. But it was an incredible 2nd half performance to say the least.

I don't know if Nassib is the most clutch QB in this year's draft, but I'd certainly say his performances speak for themselves in terms of showing the ability to lead a team down the field to win a game. I've seen every game of his career, and can say with certainty that he is a tough guy who is going to give you everything he has. He was the reason Syracuse had a decent season this year, and I'd be happy to see the Bills take him in the 2nd Rd. I think #8 overall is too early for him, but he won't last past round 2.

Manuel won 4 bowl games and the senior bowl

The four bowl games Manuel won were all major bowl games.

His aggregate stats for what they're worth:

Passing: 74-108 for 813 yards (68.5 completion percentage, 7.53 ypa), 4 TDs, 0 ints

Rushing: 38 rushes for 124 (3.2 ypc), 2 TDs

1 MVP (2010 Gator Bowl)