Alex Smith traded to Chiefs

Rubes

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

god nooooooooooooooooooooooo please nooooooooooooo... :cry:

I know right? The last thing we need is a quarterback who has had a QB rating over 100 each of the last two seasons. Did you see him play in that game against us last year? PLEASE GOD NO!!!!!

Deberg, Montana, Bono, Grbec,and now Smith all went from SF to KC.

Great call. Very interesting.

QB Needy teams:

Obvious Needs:

1. KC

2. Arizona

3. Buffalo

4. Jax

5. Jets

Most-Likely Need:

1. Cleveland

2. Oakland (If they cut Palmer)

Wouldn't mind an upgrade, especially a veteran like Alex Smith:

1. Titans (Inconsistent Locker)

2. Vikings (Inconsistent Ponder)

3. Eagles (Vick is signed through only for a year)

The rest 22 teams already have their starting QB in place.

QB Needy teams:

Obvious Needs:

1. KC

2. Arizona

3. Buffalo

4. Jax

5. Jets

Most-Likely Need:

1. Cleveland

If you are selling and you have ten anxious buyers and no real alternatives you should be able to make one hell of a deal.

Deberg, Montana, Bono, Grbec,and now Smith all went from SF to KC.

It's like a trash chute that runs from SF to KC.

QB Needy teams:

Obvious Needs:

1. KC

2. Arizona

3. Buffalo

4. Jax

5. Jets

Jax? I thought they drafted their franchise QB? The guy half this board wanted...Gab Blainert or something?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

PTR

I think you are wrong on this one. I would take Smith in a heart beat. We are going to run a WCO Hybrid like N.O. Does. We have a GREAT running game. We get a Threat at TE And a big WR that can get open Smith could get us into the playoffs and beyond. The man had SF in the Superbowl last year if not for a special teams dork.

I say make the trade AND draft a kid to develop. I know many hear can't get past media hype but it would be a drastic upgrade for this team. But odds are Andy Reid was smart enough to make the trade already.

Smith is very solid and has played better than any Buffalo QB over the past ten years, save for Bledsoe's magical 8 games.

Bono and DeBerg were pretty average, but Grbac had a decent run and Montana even in his decline years had that team in the playoffs. Not sure of your point here.

Call it a trash chute, but the Bills have been dumpster diving for QBs for a decade-plus.

Smith is very solid and has played better than any Buffalo QB over the past ten years, save for Bledsoe's magical 8 games.

Bono and DeBerg were pretty average, but Grbac had a decent run and Montana even in his decline years had that team in the playoffs. Not sure of your point here.

Call it a trash chute, but the Bills have been dumpster diving for QBs for a decade-plus.

I agree trash chute was strong language but I was just saying that there was a pipeline for old SF QBs to KC. I can't think of any two teams with a link like that.

PTR

I agree trash chute was strong language but I was just saying that there was a pipeline for old SF QBs to KC. I can't think of any two teams with a link like that.

PTR

It is an unusual connection given that there have been a number of different front-offices running the show on both sides.

I don't know that Smith is solid, but I think you could insert Fitz's name in that sentence too and we don't want him.

I just think Smith is the type of QB that will leave you still needing a QB. Fitz had better yards and TD's, but in Smith's last two decent years he threw less interceptions. But they are both not very good.

QB Needy teams:

Obvious Needs:

1. KC

2. Arizona

3. Buffalo

4. Jax

5. Jets

Most-Likely Need:

1. Cleveland

Jason LaConfora tweeted that SF has said its not Arizona, they're offer was too low. He seems pretty sure its KC.

I don't know that Smith is solid, but I think you could insert Fitz's name in that sentence too and we don't want him.

I just think Smith is the type of QB that will leave you still needing a QB. Fitz had better yards and TD's, but in Smith's last two decent years he threw less interceptions. But they are both not very good.

Those are numbers in a vacuum. Fitzpatrick cannot complete 70% of his passes in his dreams. Smith did this past year. And Smith didn't just throw fewer interceptions. He threw 29 fewer interceptions in 2011-12. Even if you prorate Smith's stats out to 16 games in 2012, Fitz still would have thrown 25 more INTs over the past two years. That is A LOT of giving away the ball.

If you want, you can claim that Fitz's team was down more often, and he had to try to make things happen, but then you have to view his yardage and TDs totals through that same "garbage time" lens.

I don't see how they are close given their performances over the past two years. Fitz has had 5-8 games of great play, buffered by turns of mediocrity and, at times, pure disaster. Smith looked the part of a caretaker last year, came into his own in the playoffs, was improving this season, then lost his job to injury.

Over their careers, yes, the numbers look similar, but I look at the trajectory.

FWIW, Patrick Moran just tweeted that he hears the Bills are still talking to SF about Smith:

Despite reports that trade for Alex Smith is "effectively done" (rumor is KC), I hear the #Bills are still having discussions about him.

Surprised the dislike for Smith here - every host that I've heard on Sirius NFL has done nothing but praise the guys work ethic, have said that he's a leader, he's played in a winning org, he's tough, he doesn't turn the ball over, etc.

They said that KC will immediately win AT LEAST 8 games if they get Smith and they talked about what a coup it would be for Reid to get a QB like Smith.

Not sure if he's our answer, but clearly there are tons of questions about the QBs in this class. At least Smith has done it before. And I'd rather trade a 3rd or 4th and use our top picks on other areas. If we suck again this year, we pick up another QB in next years strong QB draft and perhaps even trade Smith again (depending on what he does on the field).

FWIW, Patrick Moran just tweeted that he hears the Bills are still talking to SF about Smith:

Despite reports that trade for Alex Smith is "effectively done" (rumor is KC), I hear the #Bills are still having discussions about him.

Surprised the dislike for Smith here - every host that I've heard on Sirius NFL has done nothing but praise the guys work ethic, have said that he's a leader, he's played in a winning org, he's tough, he doesn't turn the ball over, etc.

They said that KC will immediately win AT LEAST 8 games if they get Smith and they talked about what a coup it would be for Reid to get a QB like Smith.

Not sure if he's our answer, but clearly there are tons of questions about the QBs in this class. At least Smith has done it before. And I'd rather trade a 3rd or 4th and use our top picks on other areas. If we suck again this year, we pick up another QB in next years strong QB draft and perhaps even trade Smith again (depending on what he does on the field).

I just can't imagine the Bills would bring Fitz, Tjax and Smith into camp. I'm sure Smith would command quite a large salary. Thats a whole lot of money tied up in QB's...

Edited by Wayne Cubed

According to FOX's Jay Glazer, the 49ers and Chiefs have completed a trade for Alex Smith.

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Feb 27 - 11:57 AM

Yes, now we even have a better chance to get Geno! :beer:

reports are that they gave a 4th round pick for him.

PFT reporting that it's a 2nd this year, and a 2nd NEXT year too! HOLY CRAP!!!!

Did they send a free tube of KY with him?