Bart Scott anyone???

chetsap

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much like our QB situation, with how bad we are at LB we can't afford to turn our noses up at any potential credible candidates. Bring them both in for workouts. BTW those saying Scott is old, he was born only 2 months before pace. With no offense support jets still managed 8th best defense last year. Has to be talent beyond cromartie

That's what I think. Can't hurt to bring them in and take a look at them. Considering our lack of talent at LB, almost anyone is an upgrade. Bart Scott included. One of my buddies is a courier and delivered a few packages to his house last year. My buddy said he was the meanest scariest guy he ever saw. Fwiw

Pace would be a nice addition, especially for 1-3 million per year. I wonder what he'll command on the open market.

Edited by NewEra

I'm curious how the Bills will free up enough cap space to sign these FAs. I want Byrd and Levitre too. Scott will come cheap I think and he has a lot of experience under Pettine. He'd be like a coach on the field. Could be useful in that respect. I also like Bowe, but I don't see the Bill's spending too big in FA. There is some talent out there that would help us in weak areas.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. T. Jackson, I just read is only getting paid 1.75M instead of the 4.5M originally believed. That leaves a couple million extra to play with than we thought. The bean counters are working overtime at OBD. I wounder if anyone else is getting cut to make room for another FA?

Byrd is apparently meeting with Bills brass at the combine to talk about his contract. There is a lot going on right now. It's kind of refreshing finding all of these little tidbits in the news. The organization is making moves and it looks like they are busily checking out every angle.

Anyway, even if Scott has lost a step, he could still be a valuable player. I'm trying to avoid judging the moves being made at this point. I can't really say I approve or disapprove of what is been done so far. For one, I'm just not knowledgeable enough at grading the available talent. It is evident though that the Bills are not resting on their laurels.

Pettine's defense is complex. These players have just come off a season with Wanny which was be as vanilla as it gets. If Scott is needed to get this team moving forward quicker on the new scheme's he may be necessary to bring in. No doubt he's not the player he was, in fact his bark was bigger than his bite even when he was thought to be very good.

Incentive laden two year deal would be just fine with me.

No no no no no no. He's everything I hate about the Jets: loud mouthed and overrated. He can never back up his talk, i don't know how anyone could with the way he trash talks. He doesn't emulate Bills football to me from a character stand point (sorry to pull a Jauron on you). I have no patience for guys like him and obviously the Bills don't either. If Scott were 5 years younger and 2x better than he is then maybe we could put that behind us but not now. He'd be a pricey liability. Pettine do not even think about convincing Buddy, he's old and gullible.

I hate to say it but unfortunately Bart Scott at 32 years old is still better than any LB we have on the roster. I wouldn't mind signing any proven veteran free agent to a one year deal for cheap.

You say that now but bring him in and it will be Barnett Part II - another very very good LB in his prime who has lost too many steps to lynchpin the LB corp for the Bills

I think most fans approach the free agency period as if it were fantasy football - i.e. simply covet the guy with the best stats. They look at a guy like Bart Scott and say "too old," "on the decline," "loudmouth,' etc. While there is truth to that, they overlook the impact a guy like Scott would have on installing Pettine's new defense. Last time Scott was a FA (2009) he was coming off statistically mediocre seasons of 1.0 and 1.5 sacks, yet Rex Ryan and Pettine literally camped out on his doorstep until the free agency period began at midnight ensuring they talk to him first - he was that vital to have for bringing over their defense from Baltimore.

Tim Graham wrote a great article a week ago that illustrates building a defense isn't just about the numbers

Why it's important Bills clear room for some of Mike Pettine's Jets

If Scott could be signed to a reasonable deal, he could have a huge impact this season even as a part-time player. (It's not like we would have to cut one of our All-Pro linebackers to make room for him either)

I hate to say it but unfortunately Bart Scott at 32 years old is still better than any LB we have on the roster. I wouldn't mind signing any proven veteran free agent to a one year deal for cheap.

this is the truth. People who don't want him becaue he's not a Pro-Bowl player are missing the point: if he comes with an incentive laden contract it is a HUGE WIN as he upgrades the LB position relatively cheaply. Put him in with our LB pick at #8, and hopefully one of the young guys plays well.