Dehaven #8 - Crossman #30

T master

Was reading on rumblings that they have got the rankings in for last year as far as the ST's go. The Bills ST under Dehaven ranked #8 in the league mainly B/C of Mckelvin & Carrington or megahand as SJ has named him.

I hope that our new leader has seen some thing in his new hire Crossman for ST coach besides being a homer hire. The guy came from the lLions & they ranked out on ST last year at #30 so i'm not expecting a lot from that side of the ball.

Do new coaches or should i say new team President ever look at when hiring a new coach the things that the team was doing really well & input to that new coach

"hey we are doing really well at this stage on the team you might want to consider keeping this coach in place"

It would make a ton of sense , there would be no change in scheme & they could just work on the things they were doing badly in the previous season, but now this Crossman fella has to go & look at everything he was doing wrong last year.

I'm pretty sure if you rank at #30 in the league there is more to it than not having the players. I think the coach needs to rethink his scheme !!

Well i hope that our new coach has sat this guy down & told him that he has the personal to get things done & if he doesn't he's gone. ST's can blow a game wide open & i for one hope Crossman has left his ways in Detroit & hasn't brought them with him to B/Lo !!

How well did Bobby April's ST units perform both before, and since, he was with the Bills? If we looked at those rankings in a vacuum we'd conclude he's a below average ST coach.

ST rankings have SO much more to do with the players than the coaching, in my opinion. As long as the team is devoting sufficient time to coverage units, most of these coaches are going to be "adequate" if they have the players.

Other than the pic of Ted, this thread is a complete waste of cyberspace. I would assume you all were on board with the firing of Chan ... and with a new coach comes new assistants ... retaining previous coaches is a rarity.

Only Jerry Jones meddles with the assistant coach selection process, and Wade (our best coach since Marv) fell on the sword in the name of it. DeHaven was avg at best, and #21 made him look good.

Crossman will do fine here, I say out with the old guard, and let's get after it with Marrone. If Parcells, Peyton and Polian vouch for the guy, I am willing to give him some rope and see what he can do.

Besides, we have inventory to move in the GTA!

(Ok kidding on the last part)

I don't know too much about crossman, but before the lions, didn't he have pretty good special teams with the panthers?

Not according to this article save for one season:

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-1/Crossman-not-retained-as-special-teams-coach/eef1a01b-8e37-4d13-a400-5435add8a896

I don't know what to make of Crossman. His stints in Carolina and Detroit were less than stellar.

As I said in an earlier special teams thread, I'm looking forward to seeing the Dallas Morning News' annual special teams rankings. I believe that they weigh 18 different special teams categories.

As I said at the time, I think the people piling on DeHaven are probably off in their assessments and that people should be careful what they wish for. There's been about a dozen special teams coaches shuffled around this offseason and most of these guys are interchangeable.

IMO, people complaining about the Bills special teams are just looking for something to B word about, and are bitching about the wrong thing.

The biggest factor in special teams success is to what degree the head coach prioritizes them as far as which players he allows to play them and how much practice time he allots special teams.

That said, DeHaven was perfectly adequate IMO but now we're stuck with a guy who seems to have a very bad track record and doesn't seem to have anything to recommend him for the Bills job except that he and Marrone go way back.

I know nothing about Crossman.

I do know that regardless of rankings, DeHaven is probably one of the worst ST coach in team history, probably even worse than the dude with the mullet that Wade wouldn't fire.

+1

As I said in an earlier special teams thread, I'm looking forward to seeing the Dallas Morning News' annual special teams rankings. I believe that they weigh 18 different special teams categories.

As I said at the time, I think the people piling on DeHaven are probably off in their assessments and that people should be careful what they wish for. There's been about a dozen special teams coaches shuffled around this offseason and most of these guys are interchangeable.

IMO, people complaining about the Bills special teams are just looking for something to B word about, and are bitching about the wrong thing.

The biggest factor in special teams success is to what degree the head coach prioritizes them as far as which players he allows to play them and how much practice time he allots special teams.

That said, DeHaven was perfectly adequate IMO but now we're stuck with a guy who seems to have a very bad track record and doesn't seem to have anything to recommend him for the Bills job except that he and Marrone go way back.

Good post! Based on Marrone's track record at SU and Crossman's track record in the NFL, I am expecting our special teams to suck next year. Or at least the coverage units. I don't know how much coaching can screw up a really good return man (if Leodis comes back next year, we'll probably find out), and it's hard to imagine coaching having any real impact on FG accuracy.

This article made be think better of Crossman http://www.buffalobi...6b-149b68c386b8

Bills special teams coach Danny Crossman made plays during his time as a player. In his pro career he had one of his best days in one of his biggest games with three interceptions in the inaugural World Bowl in 1991. He and Bills head coach Doug Marrone were teammates on the World League’s first championship team, the London Monarchs. Crossman was named the game’s MVP. Now Crossman is immersed in evaluating the talent he’ll have at his disposal with Buffalo’s special teams units and is looking for a few MVPs of his own.

Edited by SDS

I completely agree with this post.

When the Bills fired De Haven the first time, the next year they saw a drastic decline in special teams the next year. This is just change for the sake of change. We'll see how it works out.