New gun control thread!

What's your basis for considering that unlikely?

(For what it's worth, I'd ask the exact same question if you'd said "likely." I've never seen or heard any basis for any conclusion either way.)

Reported estimates account for far less that that. (illegal weapons confiscated/illegal sales estimates)

Reported estimates account for far less that that. (illegal weapons confiscated/illegal sales estimates)

Frankly, I just don't understand what the feds got out of a program that allowed 2000 weapons to be strawmanned out to hardened criminals and then recover a third of them. What kind of program was it? What purpose did it serve? It obviously wasn't designed to track the weapons and then go after the perps. My link claims it was political. With all the knowledge we have gleaned since Fast & Furious, what do you think?

Frankly, I just don't understand what the feds got out of a program that allowed 2000 weapons to be strawmanned out to hardened criminals and then recover a third of them. What kind of program was it? What purpose did it serve? It obviously wasn't designed to track the weapons and then go after the perps. My link claims it was political. With all the knowledge we have gleaned since Fast & Furious, what do you think?

Think of all the jobs created or saved in fictional congressional districts to manufacture those firearms, as well as all of the jobs created in law enforcement to go get them back! Forward!

I find a 35% rate of recovery, pro-rata, across all illegal guns, to be incredibly unlikely. Combined with the targeted sting ops, and targeted arrests, and the fact that government is demonstrably prone to incompetence, that's more than enough evidence for me.

What's your basis for considering that unlikely?

(For what it's worth, I'd ask the exact same question if you'd said "likely." I've never seen or heard any basis for any conclusion either way.)

35%... an order of magnitude above 3.5%

Hmmmmmmm he might have you there Tom. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ABC: But ‘Assault Weapons’ Bans Just Make Guns Look Different!

Headline of the day from ABC New York: “After NY Gun Control Law, Assault Rifles Only Look Different.” The story:

A month after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, New York passed a set of gun control laws that proponents touted as the toughest in the nation.

Now some critics say one part of the law – the assault rifle ban – is not effective because new models being made to comply with the law are almost entirely the same as those that were banned.

“The guns are exact,” said Long Island gun dealer Martin Tretola.

Tretola took the I-Team to the gun range to demonstrate what he says are merely cosmetic changes the SAFE Act imposed on one of America’s most popular type of rifle, the AR-15.

Under the law, bayonet mounts, flash suppressors and telescoping stocks are banned, and rifles cannot have a pistol grip.

But the new modified rifle is still semi-automatic. That means each squeeze of the trigger automatically loads the next round into the chamber.

For the last damn time: “Assault weapon” is a purely invented term, designed by politicians to mislead the public into thinking that consumers can buy machine guns in Wal-Mart. They can’t. In the political world at least, “assault weapon” means nothing more or less than ”semi-automatic rifle that has a few cosmetic features that we do not like.” It does not mean “machine gun” — those have been heavily regulated since 1934, their production has been banned since 1986, and one has not been used in a murder in half a century. It does not mean “more powerful rifle” — one can still buy much more powerful semi-automatic weapons that do not have any of the aesthetic features that the gun-control brigade has decided it doesn’t like. It does not mean “weapon that the military uses” or ”especially deadly.” It refers only to cosmetics.

Of course the rifles “only look different” now. When you ban cosmetic features, you’re going to see manufacturers producing guns that look different. What did they expect?

More at the link:

• 2 weeks later...

The new NY is open for business. ??

NY doesn't have a problem with a company they can tax making something within the state. They just won't their citizens buy the item made in their state.

I wonder if the New NY would let me start up a business growing marijuana that is sold to stores in Colorado and Washington

Another "no gun zone" success:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/05/22/Restaurant-With-No-Weapons-No-Concealed-Firearms-Sign-Robbed-At-Gunpoint

A Durham, North Carolina restaurant with a sign on its front door reading, "No Weapons, No Concealed Firearms," was robbed at gunpoint on May 19.

Gunsnfreedom.com published a photograph of the sign on May 21, making "The Pit" restaurant a self-declared gun free zone--the same kind of zone Michael Bloomberg and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America pressure other restaurants into becoming.

According to Durham's ABC 11, around 9 PM "three men wearing hoodies entered the restaurant through the back doors with pistols, and forced several staff members to lie on the floor." The armed men "also assaulted two employees during the crime."

The suspects are still on the loose.

Another "no gun zone" success:

http://www.breitbart...bed-At-Gunpoint

A Durham, North Carolina restaurant with a sign on its front door reading, "No Weapons, No Concealed Firearms," was robbed at gunpoint on May 19.

Gunsnfreedom.com published a photograph of the sign on May 21, making "The Pit" restaurant a self-declared gun free zone--the same kind of zone Michael Bloomberg and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America pressure other restaurants into becoming.

According to Durham's ABC 11, around 9 PM "three men wearing hoodies entered the restaurant through the back doors with pistols, and forced several staff members to lie on the floor." The armed men "also assaulted two employees during the crime."

The suspects are still on the loose.

I wonder if those three hoodie thugs would have targeted a business with this sign in the window:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7662423808/h019CD0EF/

It's going to be a long 120-180 day wait for The CMP :(

But it will be worth it :w00t:

• 1 month later...

Chicago's tough gun control laws kept shootings down to only 27 this weekend:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/city-state/27-shot-chicago-friday-n143836

At least 27 people have been shot, one of them fatally, in Chicago since Friday.

Police said the weekend’s sole fatality, as of Sunday, occurred just before 9 a.m. Saturday when a 42-year-old man was fatally shot in the head while riding his bike.

The shooting took place in the 3600 block of West Chicago Avenue. Police said the man was taken to Mount Sinai hospital with wounds to the head and right arm and was later pronounced dead.

Ten others were shot Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning.

Chicago's tough gun control laws kept shootings down to only 27 this weekend:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/city-state/27-shot-chicago-friday-n143836

At least 27 people have been shot, one of them fatally, in Chicago since Friday.

Police said the weekend’s sole fatality, as of Sunday, occurred just before 9 a.m. Saturday when a 42-year-old man was fatally shot in the head while riding his bike.

The shooting took place in the 3600 block of West Chicago Avenue. Police said the man was taken to Mount Sinai hospital with wounds to the head and right arm and was later pronounced dead.

Ten others were shot Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning.

Another NRA wet dream?

Bush and the NRA, killing America's youth!

The most detestable part of this isn't the fact that liberals still think strict gun laws are answer. The single most detestable part -- completely undeniable -- is that if any of the five people killed died at the hands of a white person (or even a white hispanic), liberals would be incensed and marching in the streets.

But blacks killing blacks? Absolute silence.No Sharpton. No Jackson. No Obama commenting how if he had a son...

Just silence. Which forever tells you all you ever need to know about liberals and what they really think about black Americans.

Veteran With Concealed Carry Permit Shoots Back At Chicago Gunman

The move angered 22 year-old Denzel Mickiel, who approached the veteran and his friends shouting obscenities. The man then went into his residence and returned with a gun.

As Mickiel opened fire on the group, the veteran took cover near the vehicle’s front fender, according to assistant state attorney Mary Hain, the Chicago Tribune reports.

The veteran fired two shots, hitting Mickiel both times.

Mickiel is charged with attempted murder and will be held on $950,000 bond.

Had Friday’s shooting occurred a little more than a year ago, the veteran would not have been legally permitted to conceal carry his firearm.

http://news.yahoo.co...-031804649.html

Oh wait, citizens having legal firearms are the devil. This evil gun-toting redneck racist misogynistic veteran should have just allowed his friends to be murdered instead of fighting back and saving their lives.

Edited by Koko78