New gun control thread!

• 2 weeks later...

One parent mentioned the bullying issue.

Bullies were massive douchebags when I was in school. I can't imagine what they would have been with social media and phones that easily take/post photos and videos.

And the anonymity of internet message boards. :D

One parent mentioned the bullying issue.

Bullies were massive douchebags when I was in school. I can't imagine what they would have been with social media and phones that easily take/post photos and videos.

In my school, they'd have been...nothing. Barely literate apes, I couldn't see them successfully using social media.

In my school, they'd have been...nothing. Barely literate apes, I couldn't see them successfully using social media.

Yeah, this sounds more right to me.

I believe at my school there would be a lot more instances of the assclowns stealing/robbing people's phones, rather than bothering with texting with them.

http://www.conservative-daily.com/2014/04/16/breaking-fast-and-furious-guns-found-in-texas-new-mexico/

Eric Holder allowed these Mexican cartels to arm themselves to the teeth. Fast and Furious wasn’t about trying to catch cartel members. It was about shoring up a lie repeatedly perpetuated by Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton that American gun stores provide 90% of Mexican crime guns.

For years, Democrats have been repeating this lie to try to gain support for a new Assault Weapons Ban. If they could convince Americans that Mexican crime was caused by our lax gun laws, maybe they could push through their anti-gun agenda. The problem is that the U.S. doesn’t supply 90% of Mexico’s crime guns… in fact, that number is under 20%, according to FBI itself.

Operation Fast and Furious was never designed to catch people. There were absolutely ZERO mechanisms in place to catch these arms smugglers. The goal wasn’t to catch them, but to create evidence for the administration’s false narrative!

Now, after killing hundreds of Mexicans in addition to one Border Patrol agent, the Fast and Furious weapons are being smuggled back into the U.S. by cartel members to be used against American citizens! This is unacceptable and Eric Holder must be removed from office for his role in t

http://www.conservat...xas-new-mexico/

Eric Holder allowed these Mexican cartels to arm themselves to the teeth. Fast and Furious wasn’t about trying to catch cartel members. It was about shoring up a lie repeatedly perpetuated by Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton that American gun stores provide 90% of Mexican crime guns.

For years, Democrats have been repeating this lie to try to gain support for a new Assault Weapons Ban. If they could convince Americans that Mexican crime was caused by our lax gun laws, maybe they could push through their anti-gun agenda. The problem is that the U.S. doesn’t supply 90% of Mexico’s crime guns… in fact, that number is under 20%, according to FBI itself.

Operation Fast and Furious was never designed to catch people. There were absolutely ZERO mechanisms in place to catch these arms smugglers. The goal wasn’t to catch them, but to create evidence for the administration’s false narrative!

Now, after killing hundreds of Mexicans in addition to one Border Patrol agent, the Fast and Furious weapons are being smuggled back into the U.S. by cartel members to be used against American citizens! This is unacceptable and Eric Holder must be removed from office for his role in t

That's a laughably absurd narrative.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Given that more than 700 of the fire-arms have been recovered, and that arrests have been made related to the straw purchasers, I'd say that more than debunks the "no mechanisms in place" rhetoric.

This was incompetence, not malfeasance.

They had nothing in place to track the weapons once they were sold. The only reason they are getting some of them back is by sting operations. The straw purchasers were known so it wasn't a big deal to arrest them.

They had nothing in place to track the weapons once they were sold. The only reason they are getting some of them back is by sting operations. The straw purchasers were known so it wasn't a big deal to arrest them.

More than 700 out of 2000 is not "getting some of them back", it's getting a reasonably large percentage of them back. This indicates that there were "mechanisms in place", but that they were poor, and not up to the task; and the fact that the sting opperations were made, and that they resulted in actual arrests are further evidence of this.

This is another example of incompetence in government, not treachery.

More than 700 out of 2000 is not "getting some of them back", it's getting a reasonably large percentage of them back. This indicates that there were "mechanisms in place", but that they were poor, and not up to the task; and the fact that the sting opperations were made, and that they resulted in actual arrests are further evidence of this.

This is another example of incompetence in government, not treachery.

They had no way of tracking them. They are getting them back now with either sting operations that have no connection whatsoever with the original operation or by arresting people who just happen to be in possession of one.

They had no way of tracking them. They are getting them back now with either sting operations that have no connection whatsoever with the original operation or by arresting people who just happen to be in possession of one.

Recovering 35% indicates that these weren't random reaquisition, unless that figure is pro-rata across all illegal gun seizures. It indicates that they had a plan to get them back, but that it wasn't a very good one.

Given that more than 700 of the fire-arms have been recovered, and that arrests have been made related to the straw purchasers, I'd say that more than debunks the "no mechanisms in place" rhetoric.

This was incompetence, not malfeasance.

I don't know that that debunks that rhetoric. It certainly opens it to question...but a 33% rate of recovery is low enough that you could probably argue that that's how many would have been recovered through normal operations.

Or someone could argue that. I couldn't - I don't have the data. Just doesn't seem like a conclusive "debunking" of anything either way.

Recovering 35% indicates that these weren't random reaquisition, unless that figure is pro-rata across all illegal gun seizures. It indicates that they had a plan to get them back, but that it wasn't a very good one.

Only a Bills fan would consider 35% a good success rate. :D

I don't know that that debunks that rhetoric. It certainly opens it to question...but a 33% rate of recovery is low enough that you could probably argue that that's how many would have been recovered through normal operations.

Or someone could argue that. I couldn't - I don't have the data. Just doesn't seem like a conclusive "debunking" of anything either way.

I find a 35% rate of recovery, pro-rata, across all illegal guns, to be incredibly unlikely. Combined with the targeted sting ops, and targeted arrests, and the fact that government is demonstrably prone to incompetence, that's more than enough evidence for me.

I find a 35% rate of recovery, pro-rata, across all illegal guns, to be incredibly unlikely. Combined with the targeted sting ops, and targeted arrests, and the fact that government is demonstrably prone to incompetence, that's more than enough evidence for me.

What's your basis for considering that unlikely?

(For what it's worth, I'd ask the exact same question if you'd said "likely." I've never seen or heard any basis for any conclusion either way.)