New gun control thread!

I no longer own or carry a gun. Second, I live in AZ so even if I did it wouldn't matter it's not illegal here. And last, I'm not calling for a ban on guns. I just think it's stupid to buy a gun for self defense that you have to add a laser site to to make it worth carrying.

Edit: And yes, that thing was a freakin beast.

I have a Lasermax that replaced the guide rod in my Glock 36. It was a gift from a buddy of mine. He's a former Spec Ops Warrior and currently a member of an elite SWAT-type unit. Doesn't carry a pistol without one. What does he know?

If you cant knock someone down in a dark or dimly lit setting with an underpowered pistol that doesn't quite fit your hands and has crappy sights seconds after you are roused from your slumber by the sound of breaking glass downstairs, you don't deserve to live.

I think if your home defense weapon of choice is a concealed carry pistol, you've made a poor decision.

Frankly, there's little reason to carry a concealed weapon in a caliber that doesn't start with at least .4. Just my opinion.

I think if your home defense weapon of choice is a concealed carry pistol, you've made a poor decision.

Frankly, there's little reason to carry a concealed weapon in a caliber that doesn't start with at least .4. Just my opinion.

Or you're on a budget. That said, like many Americans, I have a shotgun for that.

There is little reason. Reason being, I am little. If this was an open carry state, I would never leave home without a 1911, and that would be the only handgun I owned.

Or you're on a budget. That said, like many Americans, I have a shotgun for that.

Whether you're on a budget or not, a shotgun is the FIRST weapon I'd have for home defense. There are others I'd add later but there aren't too many times I'd chose a pistol over a shotgun.

There is little reason. Reason being, I am little. If this was an open carry state, I would never leave home without a 1911, and that would be the only handgun I owned.

My 36 ain't much bigger than a .Colt 380.It's less than 7"x5"X1.1". Hard to argue with a 1911.

I have a Lasermax that replaced the guide rod in my Glock 36. It was a gift from a buddy of mine. He's a former Spec Ops Warrior and currently a member of an elite SWAT-type unit. Doesn't carry a pistol without one. What does he know?

I'm actually agreeing with BF-squared, because whereas your buddy knows how to align a sight, I'm betting most dumbass Americans would think that you put the laser on the gun, and the bullets magically go where the laser points.

Arizona might be your state. Here you could walk down the street with an AR strapped to you back and most people wouldn't bat an eyelash. There's this dude that lives in my town who wheels himself around in a wheelchair with "Vietnam Vet" stamped on the back of the Chair. He's got two handguns stuck down in his pants at all times + one in an ankle holster. (I have no idea how he would ever plan to use that one).

NY is having some sort of wacked out auto-immune response to guns at the moment.

PUNCHING BACK TWICE AS HARD: Crowd packs heat; Oak Harbor backs down.

It’s been three weeks since an Oak Harbor city councilmember started a national controversy by trying to kick-out a wounded Army veteran who was legally carrying a weapon during a council meeting.

Councilmember Rick Almberg then walked out.

The council was met by 160 people Tuesday night, many who were packing heat.

There were handguns in holsters and rifles slung over shoulders and an unknown number of people concealing their weapons as the Oak Harbor City Council met. Many attended the meeting to show support for veteran Lucas Yonkman who councilmember Almberg tried to have kicked-out of City Hall last month, including Joe Hawkins who openly mocked him. “Mr. Almberg I just want you to know that I have a concealed ham sandwich right here I don’t want you to get up and walk away,” he chuckled.

Most attended the meeting to oppose the city’s ban on guns in parks and the marina. The Second Amendment Foundation had threatened to sue if the ordinance wasn’t overturned.

Sandy Peterson spoke out against the ordinance. “If the city council members are intimidated by people exercising their Second Amendment rights to bear arms, perhaps they need to examine what it is about that that makes them uncomfortable,” she said.

Yes. Why are you afraid of the Constitution? The answer, of course, is that the political class doesn’t want citizens. It wants subjects.

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/162923/

NY is having some sort of wacked out auto-immune response to guns at the moment.

More like we have an idiot governor who is more interested in making himself look good for 2016 by being the first to overreact and enact poorly written and badly thought out legislation than in doing his job.

Well I would feel good with a .38 super.

I'm actually agreeing with BF-squared, because whereas your buddy knows how to align a sight, I'm betting most dumbass Americans would think that you put the laser on the gun, and the bullets magically go where the laser points.

You don't have to "align" a lasermax. Because it replaces the guide rod, it is directly in line with the barrel. To be quite honest, I've had more luck teaching people how to shoot with lasers than without. They seem to be able to correlate sight picture more easily.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/06/florida-lawmaker-wants-anger-management-courses-for-ammunition-buyers/

A Florida legislator wants anyone trying to buy ammunition to complete an anger management program first, in what critics say is the latest example of local lawmakers reaching for constitutionally-dubious solutions to the problem of gun violence.

The bill filed Saturday by state Sen. Audrey Gibson, D-Jacksonville, would require a three-day waiting period for the sale of any firearm and the sale of ammunition to anyone who has not completed anger management courses. The proposal would require ammo buyers to take the anger management courses every 10 years.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/06/florida-lawmaker-wants-anger-management-courses-for-ammunition-buyers/#ixzz2Mnk4V3bh

http://www.foxnews.c...unition-buyers/

A Florida legislator wants anyone trying to buy ammunition to complete an anger management program first, in what critics say is the latest example of local lawmakers reaching for constitutionally-dubious solutions to the problem of gun violence.

The bill filed Saturday by state Sen. Audrey Gibson, D-Jacksonville, would require a three-day waiting period for the sale of any firearm and the sale of ammunition to anyone who has not completed anger management courses. The proposal would require ammo buyers to take the anger management courses every 10 years.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2Mnk4V3bh

No problem Audrey.

Just as soon as all legislators have to take an economics class, a constitution class,

oh, and a drug screen every year...............................................okay

you work FOR us.

SRO Accidentally Discharges Gun in Highland High School

Some parents questioned tonight the value of having an armed security officer in the Highland schools after a police officer "accidentally discharged" his gun in the high school today. No one was hurt.

The district has suspended its School Resource Officer program as Town of Lloyd police investigate an officer who mistakenly fired his gun in the high school today, according to Superintendent Deborah Haab.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20130305/NEWS01/130305018/VIDEOS-Highland-schools-suspend-SRO-program-FOLLOW-PoJoMikeCahill

LOL, Jesus Christ...

SRO Accidentally Discharges Gun in Highland High School

Some parents questioned tonight the value of having an armed security officer in the Highland schools after a police officer "accidentally discharged" his gun in the high school today. No one was hurt.

The district has suspended its School Resource Officer program as Town of Lloyd police investigate an officer who mistakenly fired his gun in the high school today, according to Superintendent Deborah Haab.

That was cool. McVicker almost had another heart attack.

No problem Audrey.

Just as soon as all legislators have to take an economics class, a constitution class,

oh, and a drug screen every year...............................................okay

you work FOR us.

Screw yearly drug tests. Test them !@#$s daily and publish the results of anyone who tests positive on page 1.

Yeah, lets suspend protection every time a cop or fireman makes a mistake too. Nice management strategy, "educators".

It's Poughkeepsie. NOT shooting a gun is unusual. Stalingrad was calmer.

Not that I'd use that as a reason to ban guns. But I'd support banning Poughkeepsie.

How The Obama White House Got Anti-Gun Advocates To Shut Up and Get In Line

So, this story will make you chuckle. Politico reported yesterday that the White House has basically told anti-gun groups and their allies in Congress to sit down, shut up, and let the White House drive the push for new gun control. Centralization of power when it comes to messaging has been a core characteristic of this administration, and when it comes to an issue as delicate as gun control – this is a tightly run ship.

Ok, so here are the rules:

The implied rules, according to conversations with many of those involved: No infighting. No second-guessing in the press. Support whatever the president and Vice President Joe Biden propose. And most of all, don’t make waves or get ahead of the White House.

In exchange: a voice in the discussions, a role in whatever final agreement is made and weekly meetings at the White House with Biden’s chief of staff, Bruce Reed — provided they don’t discuss what happens there

In short, Reed:

forced a major change on some of Washington’s noisiest advocates: the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Third Way, Michael Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns and Americans for Responsible Solutions, the organization founded by former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) and her husband, Mark Kelly. In past fights, gun control groups sparred with each other and got used to dictating the agenda to allies in Congress.

There’s also punishment for those who don’t abide by the rules. The Violence Policy Center was forced to walk the plank when they fought for more restrictions on gun rights, and argued that the failed renewal Assault Weapons Ban in 2004 didn’t go far enough. They’ve been cut out of the loop, and relegated to the “kid’s table.” The Obama administration wasn’t going to entertain a bull in a china closet.

Concerning anti-gun members of Congress, they’ve been very closed mouthed about how the negotiations are going, especially since they’ve virtually collapsed this week. Only tougher gun trafficking laws seem to have enough votes for passage:

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), who hasn’t made a headline since warning the night of the Newtown shootings that “the gloves are off” with the White House if it failed to act on gun control.

McCarthy is holding her tongue on the White House gun control strategy, even though the major push has been for background checks and gun trafficking, not the ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines she has championed for years.

That’s because she is happy enough that the White House is finally backing a gun control push.

If this is how Obama treats its allies, with the shut up or die approach, then we know why this administration can’t govern effectively on anything. Not that we’re complaining or anything,.

It should be fascinating, however, to see if more media outlets start exposing the White House’s heavy-handed manipulation of its left-wing allies as the second term wears on and Obama fatigue starts to set in, especially if the Obama White House strategy bears little fruit in terms of policy wins.

Edited by B-Man

If Hickenlooper Signs The Gun Bill Wednesday, We’re Leaving Colorado.

Magpul Industries Corp.

Apparently Gov Hickenlooper has announced that he will sign HB 1224 on Wednesday. We were asked for our reaction, and here is what we said:

We have said all along that based on the legal problems and uncertainties in the bill, as well as general principle, we will have no choice but to leave if the Governor signs this into law. We will start our transition out of the state almost immediately, and we will prioritize moving magazine manufacturing operations first. We expect the first PMAGs to be made outside CO within 30 days of the signing, with the rest to follow in phases. We will likely become a multi-state operation as a result of this move, and not all locations have been selected. We have made some initial contacts and evaluated a list of new potential locations for additional manufacturing and the new company headquarters, and we will begin talks with various state representatives in earnest if the Governor indeed signs this legislation. Although we are agile for a company of our size, it is still a significant footprint, and we will perform this move in a manner that is best for the company and our employees.

It is disappointing to us that money and a social agenda from outside the state have apparently penetrated the American West to control our legislature and Governor, but we feel confident that Colorado residents can still take the state back through recalls, ballot initiatives, and the 2014 election to undo these wrongs against responsible Citizens.

i fired a gun once, a sniper's rifle, in fact. it was quite powerful. missed the target some 100 yards away. probably a result of the recoil, which i wasn't accustomed to. the police sniper, meanwhile, blew a hole through the quarter on the next shot and gave it to me as a souvenir. i still have it hanging on a pin on my bulletin board here at home.

electric and memorable as the moment of pulling the trigger was, and feeling the butt end of the rifle jam into my shoulder, it wasn't enough to convince me to purchase a gun.

i was trying to quit smoking that weekend, and after two days of sucking lollipops and chewing gum, i got a speeding ticket on the way home because i found it difficult keeping focused. the cop was nice, and gave me the minimum fine because i pulled over right away on the I-5 just north of Seattle, on my way home to New Westminster.

i bought a carton at the duty free, and picked up smoking again, a terrible habit, and left the guns behind.

i guess you can say i've left myself to my own vices.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

i fired a gun once, a sniper's rifle, in fact. it was quite powerful. missed the target some 100 yards away. probably a result of the recoil, which i wasn't accustomed to. the police sniper, meanwhile, blew a hole through the quarter on the next shot and gave it to me as a souvenir. i still have it hanging on a pin on my bulletin board here at home.

electric and memorable as the moment of pulling the trigger was, and feeling the butt end of the rifle jam into my shoulder, it wasn't enough to convince me to purchase a gun.

i was trying to quit smoking that weekend, and after two days of sucking lollipops and chewing gum, i got a speeding ticket on the way home because i found it difficult keeping focused. the cop was nice, and gave me the minimum fine because i pulled over right away on the I-5 just north of Seattle, on my way home to New Westminster.

i bought a carton at the duty free, and picked up smoking again, a terrible habit, and left the guns behind.

i guess you can say i've left myself to my own vices.

jw

Gotcha. I think. Anyway, that's quite an autobiography. So newsworthy, yet so poignant at the same time.

‘Assault Weapons’ Bill Dead, Obama in Denial

Today in utterly predictable developments, Dianne Feinstein’s “assault weapons” bill was dropped by Harry Reid.

Still, the White House is not going to let such prosaic things as votes get in the way. Per Aaron Blake from the Washington Post:

White House chief of staff Denis McDonough said in an interview Tuesday that Senate Democrats’
does not constitute a setback for President Obama’s gun control efforts.

In an interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper, McDonough said the bill can still be brought up as an amendment and that there should still be a concerted effort to pass it.

“We’re going to work on this. We’re going to find the votes,” McDonough said, according to a transcript. “And it deserves a vote and let’s see if we can get it done.”

This will be an interesting experiment: Can sheer bloody minded insistence work against a Senate that’s not interested, a House that will never pass such a measure, and a raft of evidence that suggests that banning guns based on their appearance does nothing?

Maybe if Cuomo and people like him actually focussed on the problems, stories like this wouldn't happen. Maybe this perv would have been locked up in jail?

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/03/woman_found_stabbed_and_bleedi.html

PS: I just put in my two weeks notice. I am leaving NYS. The gun law was the straw that broke the cammels back. Taxes, lack of jobs (ie taxes and regulations on business) and weather all player a part in my decision.

The New York Times reports that Cuomo will now try to rush some changes into his banner gun-control legislation that forced New York gun owners to use magazines that no one manufactures, with even the one exception to the rule found to be unworkable:

In the wake of the elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn., Gov.
of New York
that included not only a tougher assault weapons ban but also a tighter restriction on the maximum legal capacity of gun magazines.

But after weeks of criticism from gun owners, Mr. Cuomo said on Wednesday that he would seek to ease the restriction, which he said had proved unworkable even before it was scheduled to take effect on April 15.

The gun-control law, approved in January, banned the sale of magazines that hold more than seven rounds of ammunition. But, Mr. Cuomo said Wednesday, seven-round magazines are not widely manufactured. And, although the new gun law provided an exemption for the use of 10-round magazines at firing ranges and competitions, it did not provide a legal way for gun owners to purchase such magazines.

Now, one might think that after having been embarrassed by his own ignorance — and in the face of a number of critics who pointed these issues out from the beginning — Cuomo would advise the legislature to repeal the bill and start over again. One would be … wrong. This New York governor has decided to correct one idiocy with another, emphasis mine:

As a result, he said, he and legislative leaders were negotiating language that would continue to allow the sale of magazines holding up to 10 rounds, but
still forbid New Yorkers from loading more than 7 rounds into those magazines

Er, what? Will the police be around to check how many bullets are loaded into each magazine? And, by the way, will criminals be deterred from loading rounds 8, 9, and 10 into the magazine? The whole idea of magazine limits is to limit those with criminal intent from firing too many bullets without having to reload, at which point the law expects the disarmed to rush the criminal rather than shoot back and hope he’s worse at reloading than they will be at beating someone into submission. How will Cuomo’s latest idea deter criminals, who will have zero fear of having a gun inspection before committing their crimes?

“Hey, let’s go rob that bank. Get your guns ready, and — oh yeah, don’t load more than seven bullets into each magazine.”

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/03/21/cuomo-that-gun-law-i-signed-turned-out-to-be-utterly-unworkable-huh/

The New York Times reports that Cuomo will now try to rush some changes into his banner gun-control legislation that forced New York gun owners to use magazines that no one manufactures, with even the one exception to the rule found to be unworkable:

In the wake of the elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn., Gov.
of New York
that included not only a tougher assault weapons ban but also a tighter restriction on the maximum legal capacity of gun magazines.

But after weeks of criticism from gun owners, Mr. Cuomo said on Wednesday that he would seek to ease the restriction, which he said had proved unworkable even before it was scheduled to take effect on April 15.

The gun-control law, approved in January, banned the sale of magazines that hold more than seven rounds of ammunition. But, Mr. Cuomo said Wednesday, seven-round magazines are not widely manufactured. And, although the new gun law provided an exemption for the use of 10-round magazines at firing ranges and competitions, it did not provide a legal way for gun owners to purchase such magazines.

Now, one might think that after having been embarrassed by his own ignorance — and in the face of a number of critics who pointed these issues out from the beginning — Cuomo would advise the legislature to repeal the bill and start over again. One would be … wrong. This New York governor has decided to correct one idiocy with another, emphasis mine:

As a result, he said, he and legislative leaders were negotiating language that would continue to allow the sale of magazines holding up to 10 rounds, but
still forbid New Yorkers from loading more than 7 rounds into those magazines

Er, what? Will the police be around to check how many bullets are loaded into each magazine? And, by the way, will criminals be deterred from loading rounds 8, 9, and 10 into the magazine? The whole idea of magazine limits is to limit those with criminal intent from firing too many bullets without having to reload, at which point the law expects the disarmed to rush the criminal rather than shoot back and hope he’s worse at reloading than they will be at beating someone into submission. How will Cuomo’s latest idea deter criminals, who will have zero fear of having a gun inspection before committing their crimes?

“Hey, let’s go rob that bank. Get your guns ready, and — oh yeah, don’t load more than seven bullets into each magazine.”

http://hotair.com/ar...unworkable-huh/

Either way, he's still going to have problems enforcing this law in most of the state. Sheriffs in rural counties aren't going to sacrifice their elected positions for him, nor, I suspect, are many elected District Attorneys.

• 3 weeks later...

And the dumbass response I was expecting. Just wasn't expecting it in 5 minutes. From you yes but I figured it would take you at least 20 to read the article.

I read all about it a couple of hours ago. There's a good reason for expecting such a response: it makes a valid point.

I'm not sure how a mass knife attack with few or no casualties supports your 'no gun problem' hypothesis. What are you getting at exactly?

And the dumbass response I was expecting. Just wasn't expecting it in 5 minutes. From you yes but I figured it would take you at least 20 to read the article.

You need to give progressives like Gene a break. They get very upset when they hear about students being randomly attacked by a fully automatic X-acto knife.

I'm not sure how a mass knife attack with few or no casualties supports your 'no gun problem' hypothesis. What are you getting at exactly?

Its very simple (as is your playing dumb response)

NO ONE is claiming the 'no gun problem' hypothesis that you offer as a false alternative.

However, the "lets do something even if it doesn't solve the problem" crowd is wrong too

There is little point in explaining anything to someone who starts out with such a transparent falsehood.

You have little to no understanding of what others are thinking apparently.

Edited by B-Man

I read all about it a couple of hours ago. There's a good reason for expecting such a response: it makes a valid point.

Two victims are in critical conditions. If one dies, will that change your mind or will it just be "only one dead?"

Classmates of the suspect said he would walk around campus carrying a teddy bear. Clearly this would have been avoided if only Barnes and Noble had access to a full background check.

Considering that the Colorado Killer was partially influenced by the violence of the Batman movies and that the Connecticut kid thought he was in a virtual video game killing people, why don't liberal gun control advocates talk about the root causes of these two occurrences which was Mental health and violence in the Gaming and Movie industries?

Its very simple (as is your playing dumb response)

NO ONE is claiming the 'no gun problem' hypothesis that you offer as a false alternative.

There is little point in explaining anything to starts out with such a transparent falsehood.

You have little to no understanding of what others are thinking apparently.

Lol, I understand why you feel the need to redeem your apparent reading comprehension skills, but my statement was in response to Chef's post:

Yeah, it's a gun problem. :rolleyes:

Two victims are in critical conditions. If one dies, will that change your mind or will it just be "only one dead?"

Classmates of the suspect said he would walk around campus carrying a teddy bear. Clearly this would have been avoided if only Barnes and Noble had access to a full background check.

How many more dead/wounded if the attacker had an AR-15 with a high-capacity magazine do you think?

Considering that the Colorado Killer was partially influenced by the violence of the Batman movies and that the Connecticut kid thought he was in a virtual video game killing people, why don't liberal gun control advocates talk about the root causes of these two occurrences which was Mental health and violence in the Gaming and Movie industries?

I have no problem with that discussion, but it seems like you're valuing the right to bear arms over freedom of speech. Unless I'm missing your point, which is quite possible.

Lol, I understand why you feel the need to redeem your apparent reading comprehension skills, but my statement was in response to Chef's post:

Yeah, it's a gun problem. :rolleyes:

How many more dead/wounded if the attacker had an AR-15 with a high-capacity magazine do you think?

I have no problem with that discussion, but it seems like you're valuing the right to bear arms over freedom of speech. Unless I'm missing your point, which is quite possible.

To be honest with you, I'm not in favor of restricting much of anything. That's not to say that I'm opposed to some sort of Universal Background checks, just that the emphasis by liberal gun control advocates has been just about exclusively about guns, and very little to do with what I just brought up.

If the president or liberals for that matter was truly serious about accomplishing anything worthwhile, then he and liberals would of taken on his base and spoke out forcefully about violence in the gaming and movie industries, while speaking about universal background checks. Now that he and liberals have taken the route of demagoguing gun owners, what they have done is two things.

One, show that they aren't serious about helping solve this issue, or else they would of done what I just suggested. And two, accomplish jack ****. If he would of taken on his own base (Hollywood), he would of shown that he was serious about this issue, and it would of given him more capital to deal with the NRA. Now everyone has entrenched themselves to their old partisan habits.

It was a complete missed opportunity by the president on this issue.

Oh, good. We're playing "Let's pretend the situation was worse than it ended up being so I can make a point that fewer and fewer people accept!"

Okay, so let's see. Would he have killed more with an AR-15 or by strapping a bomb to his body?

It was a complete missed opportunity by the president on this issue.

Yep. He completely screwed up. And he's running out of people to surround himself with during press conferences.