New gun control thread!

Wow this is so stupid I just have to say something about it.

You need an automatic .38, with a laser site for self defense? Really? Who do you think you are going to need to defend yourself against?

I think that model even comes with a special attachment to hold her tea.

The guy asked for advice. I gave it to him. I mentioned that a 38 would provide the stopping power, slim profile for carry convenience and the reason for the laser site could be in some instances a deterrent to having to shoot. It also should improve accuracy. So with that in mind, do you think my advice was stupid or are you just shooting your big fat mouth off again?

The guy asked for advice. I gave it to him. I mentioned that a 38 would provide the stopping power, slim profile for carry convenience and the reason for the laser site could be in some instances a deterrent to having to shoot. It also should improve accuracy. So with that in mind, do you think my advice was stupid or are you just shooting your big fat mouth off again?

Yes I think your advise is stupid.

I'm confused by this conversation.

Are we talking .38 special or .380 acp?

One is for a revolver, one is for a pistol.

In a small package concealed carry pistol or revolver, a laser sight can be quite useful as you are not generally aiming as if you were target practicing. Usually the sights on those tiny guns are next to worthless anyway.

The automatic is the confusing part. Especially since that's probably not legal for most people.

Something like this would be ok:

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/specSheets/3713.html

I would prefer something like this though:

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5451.html

Approximately same size and ammo capacity 7 vs 5, but being able to load up to a .357 mag (although that isn't gonna feel that great to shoot in that tiny gun) is better than being limited to a .380 ACP IMO. That's if you really want a laser sight on it.

I definitely wouldn't go any less than a .380 ACP either. I'd prefer at least a 9, but after I got my 1911, I don't think anything feels better in my hand. Hard to conceal (for me anyway) but what a great gun.

You need an automatic .38, with a laser site for self defense? Really? Who do you think you are going to need to defend yourself against?

all you have done here is show that you know nothing about guns. .380 acp (which is a .38 cal pistol round, smaller than a 9mm) is one of the most popular personal defense rounds in America. Honestly, it is the smallest I would go.

acp stands for automatic colt pistol. the automatic part just refers to the way it loads, not the firing mechanism.

people like laser sites for 2 reasons. 1) in a situation where you are forced to actually use the firearm, you want to make sure the rounds are going where you want and not, you know, crashing into your childrens bedroom. 2) sometimes just seeing a dot on your chest is enough to scare you into stopping what you are doing, so whatever is going on can be stopped without shooting.

Edited by sodbuster

Looking at the pic, I believe that is a Browning Citori, which is made in Japan, fwiw.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, that barrel is ported. Ironic because one of the things mentioned in gun control discussion is compensators and gas porting, because they reduce muzzle rise and allow for better follow up shots. Apparently those things are unnecessary in sporting applications. :rolleyes:

all you have done here is show that you know nothing about guns. .380 acp (which is a .38 cal pistol round, smaller than a 9mm) is one of the most popular personal defense rounds in America. Honestly, it is the smallest I would go.

acp stands for automatic colt pistol. the automatic part just refers to the way it loads, not the firing mechanism.

people like laser sites for 2 reasons. 1) in a situation where you are forced to actually use the firearm, you want to make sure the rounds are going where you want and not, you know, crashing into your childrens bedroom. 2) sometimes just seeing a dot on your chest is enough to scare you into stopping what you are doing, so whatever is going on can be stopped without shooting.

I'm not an expert on guns however I do know a little about them. I carried on almost a daily basis when I was doing social work. I carried a Glock 17. It was a really nice piece. I found that the sight on it was pretty accurate. If you're carrying for self defense as I was there really is no need for a laser sight. If you pointing a gun at an attacker isn't enough to get them to stop the attack I don't think adding a laser sight is going to do much more.

If you are putting a dot on their chest to "get them to stop what they're doing" sounds like you're on offense and not defense. If you want to put a laser sight on your piece feel free. But for self defense it's just plain not needed. I don't know what the magazine holds for .38. The Glock held 17 rounds. If you can't drop an attacker with a 17 round clip your death is a matter or natural selection working the way it should.

I'm not an expert on guns however I do know a little about them. I carried on almost a daily basis when I was doing social work. I carried a Glock 17. It was a really nice piece. I found that the sight on it was pretty accurate. If you're carrying for self defense as I was there really is no need for a laser sight. If you pointing a gun at an attacker isn't enough to get them to stop the attack I don't think adding a laser sight is going to do much more.

If you are putting a dot on their chest to "get them to stop what they're doing" sounds like you're on offense and not defense. If you want to put a laser sight on your piece feel free. But for self defense it's just plain not needed. I don't know what the magazine holds for .38. The Glock held 17 rounds. If you can't drop an attacker with a 17 round clip your death is a matter or natural selection working the way it should.

What if it is from multiple attackers?

1). If you're talking .38 special it's a revolver and has no magazine and it likely holds 5, maybe 6 rounds. If it's a pocket size .380 acp like I linked, it carries 6 in the mag and 1 in the chamber for a grand total of 7. That's a far cry from 17, and a .380 acp could easily need multiple shots to stop an attacker.

2). A glock 17 is a full size 4.5" glock chambered in 9mm. It has decent sights. It's not the same as the pocket size .380 acp or the .38 special. It's just not. Those guns are tiny and the sights aren't that great. Some guns like those don't even have sights to make them smaller and easier to draw. A laser isn't a must on those types of guns, but it sure could be helpful.

I'm not a gun expert, but the more you talk, the more people know you don't know what you're talking about.

Also, If you are willing to point the gun at the attacker you'd better be following it up rather quickly with a squeeze of the trigger. Don't flash a gun assuming that it will end the confrontation. If it's bad enough to draw it's bad enough to fire.

Most home invasions happen at night, so there is no guarantee that the attacker is going to see the gun, but sure as hell they will see that little pulsing red light.

This highlights the problems with this conversation. The reason many people are for these bans is that they react without knowing anything about the targets of the legislation. Someone hears .380 auto and all they think "huge gun with endless fire." Meanwhile, the only gun you know, that Glock is undeniably more lethal than what you are bashing. Congrats, btw. Your Glock with its 17 round mag is illegal in nys.

Most home invasions happen at night, so there is no guarantee that the attacker is going to see the gun, but sure as hell they will see that little pulsing red light.

Not to mention...no matter how much I practice in a controlled environment like a shooting range, the average joe the six pack isn't prepared for the adrenaline that comes with realizing someone is, in fact, invading your home. If you have a wife a kid and think someone is in your house at 2 a.m., you're gonna be hyped up. Frankly, this is why the shotgun stays in the bedroom and the handgun is downstairs in my office. Come the middle of the night, I prefer to spend less time aiming. Unfortunately, in California, if you shoot someone breaking into your house, you better be ready to show them where the person was raping your ass because you're going to jail for the night, and probably for a lot longer while the guy who broke into your house, assuming he lives, will sue you for shooting him.

This highlights the problems with this conversation. The reason many people are for these bans is that they react without knowing anything about the targets of the legislation. Someone hears .380 auto and all they think "huge gun with endless fire." Meanwhile, the only gun you know, that Glock is undeniably more lethal than what you are bashing. Congrats, btw. Your Glock with its 17 round mag is illegal in nys.

I no longer own or carry a gun. Second, I live in AZ so even if I did it wouldn't matter it's not illegal here. And last, I'm not calling for a ban on guns. I just think it's stupid to buy a gun for self defense that you have to add a laser site to to make it worth carrying.

Edit: And yes, that thing was a freakin beast.

Edited by Bigfatbillsfan

I think that model even comes with a special attachment to hold her tea.

You should have quit right there after this post exposed your utter ignorance of guns. Why does anyone "need" a automatic .38? You apparently think it's some hand held cannon when the reality is it's a badly under powered round for SD. Its used primarily by recoil sensitive woman with small hands.

Why does anyone "need" a laser site? Why not? It's one of the best for dark room shooting.

Or should we handicap our selves to give home invaders a sporting chance?

Carney Tries to Walk Back Obama´s Boasting on Skeet Shooting

Barack Obama, in an attempt to appear sympathetic to gun owners´ concerns as he pursues a gun-banning agenda in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting, recently bragged that he goes skeet shooting at Camp David “all the time.” Responding to the blowback from skeptics who doubted Obama was telling the unvarnished truth (Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) challenged Obama to a skeet shooting contest), the White House not only released a photo of Obama shooting skeet, but White House press secretary Jay Carney also tried to water down Obama’s statement.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/02/04/Carney-Tries-To-Walk-Back-Obama-s-Boasting-On-Skeet-Shooting

Carney Tries to Walk Back Obama´s Boasting on Skeet Shooting

Barack Obama, in an attempt to appear sympathetic to gun owners´ concerns as he pursues a gun-banning agenda in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting, recently bragged that he goes skeet shooting at Camp David “all the time.” Responding to the blowback from skeptics who doubted Obama was telling the unvarnished truth (Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) challenged Obama to a skeet shooting contest), the White House not only released a photo of Obama shooting skeet, but White House press secretary Jay Carney also tried to water down Obama’s statement.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/02/04/Carney-Tries-To-Walk-Back-Obama-s-Boasting-On-Skeet-Shooting

Again, the embarrassment here is that the Obama administration even found it necessary to release a photo. I suspect as they sat around discussing it, some people said "You know, a lot of people are going to mock this," and someone else said, "It's okay. As long as no one is paying attention to the real problems we face, it's acceptable. Plus, there will always be the knobgobblers in the press who will defend this.:"

Like this guy at CNN...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/04/opinion/granderson-obama-skeet-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

You should have quit right there after this post exposed your utter ignorance of guns. Why does anyone "need" a automatic .38? You apparently think it's some hand held cannon when the reality is it's a badly under powered round for SD. Its used primarily by recoil sensitive woman with small hands.

Why does anyone "need" a laser site? Why not? It's one of the best for dark room shooting.

Or should we handicap our selves to give home invaders a sporting chance?

The fact that it's badly underpowered and used primarily by recoil sensitive women explains why 3rd was recommending it.

Depends on your reason for purchasing. If self protection, and you're going to carry, I'd recommend a low profile automatic at least a 38. Strongley suggest a laser site. If only at home, a shotgun will do.

Here's the original quote that I was claiming (and still am) was stupid. Somehow we've gone from if you're going to carry for self defense to protecting your house from home invasion.

So let me reiterate my point here. If you are going to buy a gun to carry for self defense get something that you don't have to add a laser site to to make it effective. Also, get something with some stopping power. My Glock was a motherphucking beast.

If you are going to keep it at home for defense of your home then sure a laser site added to any gun would help. I haven't claimed to be a gun expert. But I know when something is just plain stupid.

The fact that it's badly underpowered and used primarily by recoil sensitive women explains why 3rd was recommending it.

Here's the original quote that I was claiming (and still am) was stupid. Somehow we've gone from if you're going to carry for self defense to protecting your house from home invasion.

So let me reiterate my point here. If you are going to buy a gun to carry for self defense get something that you don't have to add a laser site to to make it effective. Also, get something with some stopping power. My Glock was a motherphucking beast.

If you are going to keep it at home for defense of your home then sure a laser site added to any gun would help. I haven't claimed to be a gun expert. But I know when something is just plain stupid.

Listen Fatty, you've been widely criticised here for your ignorance about guns. Trying to twist my words is all you have left? I said a 38 automatic was the minimum I'd purchase for self protection. I mentioned that for the purpose of carrying. I also suggested a laser site. Who says you can't have a gun to carry and also use it for home protection? So far you haven't had one person here side with you. Maybe you should just admit you are wrong and are being an **** about it?

BARACK OBAMA COMES TO MINNEAPOLIS:

President Obama passed through Minneapolis today to push his gun control agenda. He met with local law enforcement officers, and delivered a photo-op speech in front of a backdrop of uniformed law enforcement personnel. The speech, while brief, was marked by Obama’s trademark incoherence. Everything is “reasonable,” and “common sense,” and favored by pretty much everyone. And yet, if you actually listen to what he says, it makes no sense at all.

You can watch the speech here. After introducing various dignitaries, Obama set the stage by declaring that the U.S. is experiencing an “epidemic of gun violence.” But that simply isn’t true. “Gun violence,” like violent crime in general, is declining. The homicide rate in the U.S. has been cut in half since the Clinton administration.

Never let a crisis go to waste. Even if you have to make it up.

I never quite understood the "need" argument. What business is of anyone to say what they do and don't need. I can say this, anyone who has this mentality certainly doesn't have the make up of a libertarian minded person.

Edited by Magox