Bills QB Situation. Time for a Reality Check

Dr. Trooth

Plus $4.25M in salary. He's a goner.

Not only the money, but the distraction he would bring (intentionally or otherwise) to the locker room. Plus, I'm sure Marrone and Co. want to cut ties to the past under-performance of this team, and Fitz, fair or not, was the poster child along with Gailey.

The Bills have options: resign TJax, go after Flynn, or my preference: Get TJax, Vince Young, and 2 rookies to compete. It saves the draft picks that would be needed to land Smith or Flynn, is relatively low cost so we can resign Levitre, Moore, Scott and Byrd. (I know there are many Scott haters, but he will be good when put in a proper position with an actual D coorindator)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that is clear-cut in stone. If the Bills do get a veteran in FA like Alex Smith or trade for Matt Flynn, then they will cut Fitz. I don't think the Bills are going to pay Fitz a third year in a row for mediocre play at the most important position, unless the coaching staff believes they can salvage him

Like I said, we currently have nobody to replace Fitz. Cutting him before you do is dumb. It gives free agents and trading partners all the leverage because they know we have nobody playing QB.

Also, I can't stand the Alex Smith and Matt Flynn talk only because you'd be paying those guys close to what you'd be paying Fitz without either being a clear upgrade.

Like I said, we currently have nobody to replace Fitz. Cutting him before you do is dumb. It gives free agents and trading partners all the leverage because they know we have nobody playing QB.

Also, I can't stand the Alex Smith and Matt Flynn talk only because you'd be paying those guys close to what you'd be paying Fitz without either being a clear upgrade.

It's only dumb if you think you can win with Fitz. You can lose with anyone. And I disagree on FAs. If I'm representing a QB, I want him to go to a team where the job is open. Fitz staying only complicates free agency.

Edited by JPS

It's only dumb if you think you can win with Fitz. You can lose with anyone. And I disagree on FAs. If I'm representing a QB, I want him to go to a team where the job is open. Fitz staying only complicates free agency.

You are missing the point completely.

Not only the money, but the distraction he would bring (intentionally or otherwise) to the locker room. Plus, I'm sure Marrone and Co. want to cut ties to the past under-performance of this team, and Fitz, fair or not, was the poster child along with Gailey.

The Bills have options: resign TJax, go after Flynn, or my preference: Get TJax, Vince Young, and 2 rookies to compete. It saves the draft picks that would be needed to land Smith or Flynn, is relatively low cost so we can resign Levitre, Moore, Scott and Byrd. (I know there are many Scott haters, but he will be good when put in a proper position with an actual D coorindator)

So you want 2 QBs who weren't good enough to play as even a backup on a 6-10 team behind a terrible starting QB in Fitz and an even worse backup in Thigpen? Do you want this team to get worse? If part of your plan worked out and they got either Smith or Flynn, there probably wouldn't be another vet on the roster to go with a rookie and maybe Brad Smith (Oh God did I say that?).

If I am the agent of a FA QB and I am afraid that on a team with a completely new coaching staff that Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to beat out my guy, then I am representing a backup QB at best.

You are missing the point completely.

It must not be too convincing....

If I am the agent of a FA QB and I am afraid that on a team with a completely new coaching staff that Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to beat out my guy, then I am representing a backup QB at best.

I hear you. I'm not saying having Fitz around says he's a starter. Only that it complicates things. It begs many questions. I submit that it also reflects poorly on the organization.

To all those saying you can't release Fitz because you will have no QB signed before the season starts. Where exactly is he going? Who is going to sign him before the season starts? Who is going to sign him as a starter? Name the team you think would sign him? Worse possible scenario, he is still out there unemployed and you resign him at close to vet minimum.

So if they cut everyone, sign Matt Moore, then draft Nassib at #8, does Matt Moore star in the sequel to Groundhog Day?

As for the OP - sorry, I think you are way over-thinking the FA impact of an empty QB stable.

The Bills will have an easier time attracting a Moore/Smith type of player with an empty roster - IE, a FA QB would take less $$$ for a clearer path to becoming a starter again.

You are worried about the Bills being a weak position because they essentially have no fallback position - but they would - the fallback position would be every other FA and draftable rookie QB. Other FA's are all the competition the Bills need to get a fair deal from a QB. Fitz on the roster only counts as one QB in that bargain, and hurts with the possbility that the new guy thinks he can win the job.

Edited by BobChalmers

We all pretty much agree that Fitz "sucketh". I get that and I'm not going to argue that. However, I'm looking at this purely from a realistic perspective. We all know Fitz is due $3M soon. And, there seems to be a lot of "wallers", prognosticators, and so-called media experts that believe Fitz will be cut soon. I don't buy it one bit and here's why.

The Bills gain a minute cap benefit in 2013 by cutting Fitz now... it's essentially a near wash on the cap. He counts $10M against the cap if he's cut and 10.45M if the Bills keep him in 2013.

By cutting Fitz now, it would leave the Bills with zero (0) QBs on the roster (I apologize to those of you that are offended by me not regarding Brad Smith as a QB, but stay tough and you'll get over it). Does anyone really believe the Bills would leave themselves that vulnerable at QB given their situation. I mean, really, do think that having no QBs on their roster would not be a clear advantage to any (yes, any) free agent QB or team that wanted to move/trade a QB to the Bills. Do you really believe the Bills would give away that kind of leverage? Really? The other part of the reality is that it is well publicized the Bills will be drafting a QB in Rd. 1-3. If it turns out to be in the 3rd, do you believe the kid is gonna be ready. Even if it is Rd. 1 or two, do you believe the kid is gonna be ready now? Even if the Bills get their guy at #8, the best odds are about a 50/50 chance he'd start day one... and that's if he doesn't hold out or get hurt in training camp (remember JP collision with Troy Vincent in training camp ??). Who steps in if that happens?

Like it or not, the more reasonable approach and probability is that the Bills will keep Fitz for 2013. They know what they have and they "Billieve" they can milk it for one season with him. You may recall, his new OC was Fitz QB coach for his 4 starts at the end of the 09 season, so, there is a history, and who knows, there may be some level of comfort for both guys. I foresee the coaching staff starting Fitz to begin with regardless of who they draft and when. I also believe a much greater emphasis will be placed on the running game and bringing in a big speed receiver and a couple of tight ends (ya... ones that can get open and catch and ones that they will actually throw to). Those are clear needs regardless of who the QB is. Plus, a defense that does not put the QB in crap situations will be a huge game changer and also take some heat off Fitz. The 2012 Bills defense was one of the worst in its history. Hell, if the defense improves to just 14th in the league and more emphasis on the run with Spiller, and the WR/TE additions, that's good for at least 3 more W's if Fitz is driving the car. I can also see the Bills bringing in a journeyman QB for some semblance of insurance. Perhaps a Seneca Wallace or David Garrard... or someone of that ilk that will accept their role and salary.

I would be stunned if the Bills cut Fitz at this juncture and if it doesn't go down somewhat this way for 2013 and the coaching staff then gauges Fitz's effectiveness in deciding if/when to send him to the bench. 2014 will be a different story. Fitz may either have to take a pay cut or be cut loose after 2013. But, I just can't believe the Bills would leave themselves so vulnerable at QB, and with a new staff.

I agree with evrything you said. The most logical and rational thing to do is keep Fitz, draft a QB, let them compete for starter spot.

Finally some sanity. Refreshing to know there is someone out there that 'gets it'.

Cut Fitz, you only keep him if you plan on starting him this year.... No way does Marrone start his NFL head coaching career with this bum leading his team.

There really is no argument to be had... you cut him and maybe you have a tough time bringing in a FA?? Who cares, Fitz isn't doing anything for you this season anyway. The worse than can happen is you end up starting a rookie... which should be the plan anyway.

I just don't understand the point in keeping a QB that completely sucks. He's a bum and has no business on our roster. Cut him and save Ralph 10 mill. Who cares about the cap space. There's no way Marrone would want this imposter of a QB on the team. This nonsense about having no "leverage" is just that. Nonsense. No QBs on our roster means QBs want to come play here. They want an opportunity to start. How much money can leverage save us? A mill or 2? While losing 10 mill while keeping him on the roster (yes, I know its not 10 mill in cap space, but its 10 million dollars that Ralph won't have to throw away on a piece of crap rag arm bum). If they want to restructure him, so be it. I won't be happy about it, because he's garbage. But I'd understand that he'd be retained as a backup (and he sucks at that too. A bad QB is a bad QB).

Whoever said sign Vince and tjack while drafting 2 QBs is funny. That's a terrible idea.

I just can't believe anyone wants more of the Ryan Fitzpatrick show. Then again, Johnny Knoxville made a career out of getting kicked in the nuts.

This

I just don't understand the point in keeping a QB that completely sucks. He's a bum and has no business on our roster. Cut him and save Ralph 10 mill. Who cares about the cap space. There's no way Marrone would want this imposter of a QB on the team. This nonsense about having no "leverage" is just that. Nonsense. No QBs on our roster means QBs want to come play here. They want an opportunity to start. How much money can leverage save us? A mill or 2? While losing 10 mill while keeping him on the roster (yes, I know its not 10 mill in cap space, but its 10 million dollars that Ralph won't have to throw away on a piece of crap rag arm bum). If they want to restructure him, so be it. I won't be happy about it, because he's garbage. But I'd understand that he'd be retained as a backup (and he sucks at that too. A bad QB is a bad QB).

Whoever said sign Vince and tjack while drafting 2 QBs is funny. That's a terrible idea.

This

Not that I disagree that he is bad...but who cares about Relph's money. It's cap space that's important.

Not that I disagree that he is bad...but who cares about Relph's money. It's cap space that's important.

I suspect that Ralph, Ralphs family, and Russ Brandon do.

As to the cut fitz now question, some people think that Buddy Nix is good at misdirection regarding the draft and FA. If Nix cut Fitz now, wouldn't that be tipping his hand as to what he was going to do with his first round draft pick?

I suspect that Ralph, Ralphs family, and Russ Brandon do.

As to the cut fitz now question, some people think that Buddy Nix is good at misdirection regarding the draft and FA. If Nix cut Fitz now, wouldn't that be tipping his hand as to what he was going to do with his first round draft pick?

Not necessarily. Could easily sign Alex Smith and draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. Especially w/ Russell Wilson tearing it up this year, it's easy (though totally disingenuous) to spin a 3rd-round guy as our potential 8-10 year "franchise" guy.

0 QBs on the roster may be better than having 1 Ryan Fitzpatrick. If you have 0 Qbs you can add three and have 3 chances on improving....If you have 1 Ryan Fitzpatrick you have 1 bad qb and 2 chances and finding a replacement. Sorry but keeping Fitz is just prolonging mediocrity, at least a season of being completely awful allows us a top 5 pick. CJ is our best offensive weapon and Fitz has absolutely no ability towards providing a down field threat and keeping defenses being honest. Lets not forget that we have a new coaching staff that is might to want there QB to be able to be able to make NFL caliber passes, which requires arm strength and accuracy. Chan was willing to adjust his offense to his QB's handicaps which is a big reason he is no longer coaching. Fitz is a career backup. he's smart and can learn an offense without the majority of repetitions, he can finish a game and beat bad teams for you. He is awful in the clutch and cannot win games for your team, which is what you look for in a QB. No team is going to keep a backup with that contract.

Agree 100 % HE...... MUST.... GO ! He can't be on our opening day roster. NO HOW...NO BLANKIN WAY !! New coach, soon to be new GM and a new QB.