Darrelle Revis traded to Bucs

BRAWNDO

Here's something to chew on.. What if Millner makes it to 8? (I don't think he will, but what if?) Do we take him to screw the Jets over, still take a swing at whatever QB they like best?

;It might be the best case scenario for trade down options.. as other teams should be climbing over one another to trade with us, and get ahead of the Jets.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jets certainly more likely to take QB than Bucs at #13, but just seems stupid to take a QB in 1st round when Rex is most likely gone after this year. Jets have a fondness for stupid though.

Hmmmmmm..."The New York Jets...making even the Buffalo Bills look smart."

Not a fan of this move for the Bills. Here are the reasons why:

-Guves the Jets multiple draft picks to play with come draft day. Either with a trade up over Buffalo, or a trade Down for even more picks, or just stand pat and make sure Buffalo must reach for their guy in round 1 because they can easily take 3 chances of drafting a QB before the Bills even get a chance in round 2.

-clears out a bunch of cap space for the Jets

-means absolutely nothing for the Nills because Stevie is probably the best WR in the league at having success against Revis.

-it might be better for the Bills that we don't have to face him twice a year, but at the same time, neither do the Pats or Dolphins.

Just my opinions.

-Guves the Jets multiple draft picks to play with come draft day. Either with a trade up over Buffalo, or a trade Down for even more picks, or just stand pat and make sure Buffalo must reach for their guy in round 1 because they can easily take 3 chances of drafting a QB before the Bills even get a chance in round 2.

-means absolutely nothing for the Nills because Stevie is probably the best WR in the league at having success against Revis.

-it might be better for the Bills that we don't have to face him twice a year, but at the same time, neither do the Pats or Dolphins.

Just my opinions.

All good points.

Just my opinions.

The bolded is essentially what I said earlier. I like your follow-on points, as well. Another I'd add is that while it's nice that he's out of the division, I'm not as jazzed about it as some others. Not only is he coming off of a major knee injury, he's a malcontent. He was guaranteed to cause drama in the Jest camp at some point and, more than likely, would've been holding out again in the not-too-distant future even if given a new contract. I believe the Jest will be better off without him...maybe not immediately but in the long run.

Two picks in the top 13. They can afford to grab the top QB on their board, if they so desire, or even slide back a little. With Sanchez' contract, they may not be looking QB in the 1st Round but earlier reports of them trying to package him in a Revis deal makes me wonder, that's all. I don't think they would even consider QB at 9 but they might be willing to pull the trigger at 13. I just think it makes it much riskier for the Bills to try sliding into the middle of the 1st to grab "their guy", whoever that might be. JMO.

Personally, I agree. I would argue that the Jets are in an even worse position when it comes to QB than we are. The Bills wanted Kolb to come in, while the Jets benched Sanchez and bypassed Tebow for their third stringer. Will they go for a QB in the first round...I don't know. While I do think that Smith vs. Barkley vs. Nassib debate can rage on in Buffalo, I have a hard time believing that if the Jets have the chance to get a QB that they would have a hard time passing up on the opportunity.

Plus, as previously mentioned this gives them three chances to snag a QB before we do. In the end, I say that if we like a guy, we take him at #8 and don't look back.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

Absolutely.

The Jets have the ammo AND the positioning to outmaneuver the Bills.

Agreed. BUT the Jets have a lot tied up in Sanchez and might (rightfully) believe that if they don't f-up his head (like they have in the past) there's a chance he might still turn out to be their franchise QB. In regard to this year, let the Jets and everyone else waste picks on players who ARE NOT the BPAs (I.e., QBs). Barring a trade down, I'd love to go defense (OLB), WR, TE, defense ILB) and then developmental QB and then O-line. Outmaneuver us for low value, high risk players, please!!

Jets will probably go OLB and then CB (to replace Revis--Wilson ain't the man) or WR. They can grab the QB and out maneuver us in round two when they already pick before us. No need to do so in round one. IMHO (which is of relatively little value).

On the flip side, I don't think Jets take a QB with Rex and Sanchez both still there. 1st round QB would only add to the circus. Also, how do we even know if Jets like the guys we like at QB? I'd still roll the dice on a trade-back if we can get a 2nd rounder. Still like our chances of getting whomever we want in the middle of the 1st.

On the flip side, I don't think Jets take a QB with Rex and Sanchez both still there. 1st round QB would only add to the circus. Also, how do we even know if Jets like the guys we like at QB? I'd still roll the dice on a trade-back if we can get a 2nd rounder. Still like our chances of getting whomever we want in the middle of the 1st.

Maybe. But this front office, Buddy in particular, seems to be skittish when it comes to trading back and losing out on "their guy". Nix is staid in his thinking and this trade may help cement that mentality, IMO. A riverboat gambler he's not.

Two picks in the top 13. They can afford to grab the top QB on their board, if they so desire, or even slide back a little. With Sanchez' contract, they may not be looking QB in the 1st Round but earlier reports of them trying to package him in a Revis deal makes me wonder, that's all. I don't think they would even consider QB at 9 but they might be willing to pull the trigger at 13. I just think it makes it much riskier for the Bills to try sliding into the middle of the 1st to grab "their guy", whoever that might be. JMO.

I really really really doubt that they take a QB this year. With Sanchez guaranteed 8 mil and Rex Ryan a lame duck coach who just had his favorite player traded. They will fire Rex at years end, Idjeck (sp) is just waiting to fire him, hire his own coach, and with that coach he will pick his QB. If the Jets take a QB before the 4th round, I'll be very surprised.

Love the move. Revis is so much better than anyone the Jets (or Buccs) will get at 13. Revis is a sure thing. The 13 already has a 50% chance of being a bust.

between Revis' serious injury that he's coming off of and his possible holdouts every single year, what makes you think he's any better than a 60% chance at a draft pick? Not to mention not paying an over rated salary and giving up extra draft picks?

between Revis' serious injury that he's coming off of and his possible holdouts every single year, what makes you think he's any better than a 60% chance at a draft pick?

Because an NFL team just agreed to give up a kings ransom in picks AND money for him after looking at it 100x closer than you?

Not that it automatically makes them right but they have a LOT of information on his injury.

Because an NFL team just agreed to give up a kings ransom in picks AND money for him after looking at it 100x closer than you?

Not that it automatically makes them right but they have a LOT of information on his injury.

they should also have a LOT of information on his numerous holdouts and camp distractions that happen on average every other year.

they should also have a LOT of information on his numerous holdouts and camp distractions that happen on average every other year.

And still did it. That should tell you something. If they sign him to a 5-6 year deal it will be almost impossible for him to holdout again.

I'm not sure the trade makes sense from the Tampa Bay standpoint.

They should have an excellent defense but this is a move by a team making a Super Bowl push.

I'm not convinced that the Bucs are poised for that quite yet.

They've publicly questioned the competence of their own QB so in that light it seems like they could have considered Asomugha or Winfield or someone a lot less costly than Revis.

I'm not sure the trade makes sense from the Tampa Bay standpoint.

They should have an excellent defense but this is a move by a team making a Super Bowl push.

I'm not convinced that the Bucs are poised for that quite yet.

They've publicly questioned the competence of their own QB so in that light it seems like they could have considered Asomugha or Winfield or someone a lot less costly than Revis.

Perhaps. I don't personally think people realize just how good Revis is, and just how much a guy like that helps the 10 other players on defense. If he is healthy, Revis is arguably the second best defensive player in the league behind JJ Watt, and that was only after Watt's ridiculous year.