Jamarcus Russell Making a Comeback

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the Bills quarterback situation, I wouldn't rule anything out.

and yet, you could still rule this out.

Yep.

He blew $39 million, was dumped by his very-respected life coach, and is now being mentored by a never was. He tried a comeback in 2010 but didn't bother extending his comeback attempts in 2011 or 2012. He lost 4% of his body weight (a guy that big could probably do that with a few trips to the outhouse) and is "pissed off" instead of comprehending about the way the media has portrayed him. Yeah, let's fly him in at our time and expense and get him suited up with gear.

I know this isn't your guys' idea but you DON'T want as many training camp arms as possible and it COULD hurt.

A message board like this can accommodate ever moron and every idiotic thought that happens by.

However an NFL team has a finite amount of time, energy, and resources to ration out towards players on the team and those aspiring to be on a team. Unlike a message board, they can't accommodate every delusional person.

The Bills (and other NFL teams) are not gonna waste their time on a 1,000,000 to 1 longshot when they can waste that same time on a 1000 to 1 longshot or even a 100 to 1 longshot.

If JaMarcus had followed through on his 2010 comeback attempt and showed some actual sustained effort, there might be some interest. But until he gets down to his Combine weight (265 pounds) and starts showing other signs of initiative besides bellyaching (ie- attending some QB Academies?), until he shows an actual earnest and sincere effort to become an NFL player, only delusional fans will entertain thoughts of making time for this guy.

my bet - he needs to be "looking for jobs" to keep collecting his unemployment! more fun to play catch with a friend than to actually go out and work.

Edited by NoSaint

I will take a 300 lb Russell over Fitz.

That's how bad it is in Buffalo.

Really? You really think that?

What about Jamarcus makes you think hes better?

18 Tds to 23 INTS and 22 Fumbles

52% Career completion percentage

4000 yrds in 31 games

65 QBR

6 yards per attempt in his career.

His last 6 games in the NFL he was 52/97 (53%) for 457 yards for an Average of 76 yards per game.

Russell won only seven of his 25 starts as the Raiders extended an NFL-worst streak to seven straight seasons with at least 11 losses. He completed just 52.1 percent of his passes in his career with 18 touchdowns, 23 interceptions, 15 lost fumbles and a passer rating of 65.2.

That means Russell has been paid more than $5 million per win, more than $2 million per touchdown pass and more than $100,000 per completion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5168757

This from the number one overall pick in year 3?

Talk about a waste of money

Fitz aint the answer, but JaMarcus shouldnt even be in the discussion.

Must be that he isn't very bright concerning monetary investments either.... don't forget he held out for top dollar, 6 year contract worth up to 38 million and 31.5 guaranteed.

Career stats, 31 games, 52.1 completion %, 18TD, 23 INT's. QB rating 65.2

He got paid...that is all he really wanted. Also, In an interview with an ESPN reporter he stated he tested positive for codeine at the combine in 2007. He was arrested for codeine possession without a prescription in 2010.

Probably running out of money so he wants another pay day. So, do any of you bright boys still want to give this greedy, addicted to codeine loser a job?

Must be that he isn't very bright concerning monetary investments either.... don't forget he held out for top dollar, 6 year contract worth up to 38 million and 31.5 guaranteed.

Career stats, 31 games, 52.1 completion %, 18TD, 23 INT's. QB rating 65.2

He got paid...that is all he really wanted. Also, In an interview with an ESPN reporter he stated he tested positive for codeine at the combine in 2007. He was arrested for codeine possession without a prescription in 2010.

Probably running out of money so he wants another pay day. So, do any of you bright boys still want to give this greedy, addicted to codeine loser a job?

I said it up thread but he was out of money before he was out of football. Major gambling issues. Yet another reason to stay clear.

Edited by NoSaint

I know this isn't your guys' idea but you DON'T want as many training camp arms as possible and it COULD hurt.

A message board like this can accommodate ever moron and every idiotic thought that happens by.

However an NFL team has a finite amount of time, energy, and resources to ration out towards players on the team and those aspiring to be on a team. Unlike a message board, they can't accommodate every delusional person.

OK then a) what is the maximum number of QBs a team can workout, b) whose on the list of guys bills could and should workout, and c) which one(s) on the list are more worthy than russell and hence thered be a potential opportunity cost to working him out ?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Let me get this staright, you think having VYoung and Tjax is the reason why we weren't looking to upgrade at the position? That's a rediculous assertion. The more arms in camp the better for competition. If he's serious, why not just give him a look, if he just isnt cutting it, well then, cut him. Why is bringing in a 1st round bust trying to make a return to the NFL with a chip on his shoulder to prove the critics wrong, a bad thing?

The point you seem to be missing is that the playing time in camp/the number of QB reps is a zero sum game. The more QB, the fewer reps - and the less room for carrying players at other roster spots.

So yes, I think planning to bring in VY - and then having him on the roster - kept us from trading or signing a different FA QB or maybe a late round draft choice or UDFA. If we didn't have VY there, I think we would have kept one of the UDFA we tried or signed a different FA.

Let's take your contention "the more arms in camp the better for competition" to its logical extreme. Let's say we bring 20 QB into camp. Practice is limited to 4 hrs 1x per day. A game typically has 60 offensive plays and lasts 2 hrs. Let's double it because we're both O and D, 240 offensive plays in that 4 hr practice (guesstimating). That means each of those 20 QB only gets 12 snaps. Wonderful chance for the coaches to really see what each player has got and develop them, eh? Oh, 20 is ridiculous. Let's bring 10 QB. They get 24 snaps, wow.

There's a reason most football teams carry no more than 4 QB into camp each year. Why do you think that is if "the more arms in camp, the better for competition"?

It's a bad thing to bring in a fat former 1st round bust with a history of drug problems and gambling addiction because it distracts from bringing in/grooming someone who might actually have a higher probability to work out.

Edited by Hopeful

OK then a) what is the maximum number of QBs a team can workout, b) whose on the list of guys bills could and should workout, and c) which one(s) on the list are more worthy than russell and hence thered be a potential opportunity cost to working him out ?

This is an odd place to stake your claim... Russell will be incredibly lucky to receive a phone call. At this point he's struggling to get trainers to take his money, yet alone an nfl team think about giving him money.

Currently Russell likely isn't in the top 200 qbs in america and that number being as low as it is likely qualifies as generous

Like I've always said, you can't run to Wal-mart and get a franchise QB. 98% of the time you have to draft one. Rarely do you get lucky with a veteran free agent. And despite the annual frothing of the draftniks, there are years where no one is worth a damn.

PTR

You completely disregarded what I said secondly.

I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't mind as many arms in TC as possible to duke it out. Why not a former 1st rd pick with a chip on his shoulders? I'm not saying he's an improvement, just some more camp fodder that can turn into more if he has the burn and drive.

The point you seem to be missing is that the playing time in camp/the number of QB reps is a zero sum game. The more QB, the fewer reps - and the less room for carrying players at other roster spots.

So yes, I think planning to bring in VY - and then having him on the roster - kept us from trading or signing a different FA QB or maybe a late round draft choice or UDFA. If we didn't have VY there, I think we would have kept one of the UDFA we tried or signed a different FA.

Let's take your contention "the more arms in camp the better for competition" to its logical extreme. Let's say we bring 20 QB into camp. Practice is limited to 4 hrs 1x per day. A game typically has 60 offensive plays and lasts 2 hrs. Let's double it because we're both O and D, 240 offensive plays in that 4 hr practice (guesstimating). That means each of those 20 QB only gets 12 snaps. Wonderful chance for the coaches to really see what each player has got and develop them, eh? Oh, 20 is ridiculous. Let's bring 10 QB. They get 24 snaps, wow.

There's a reason most football teams carry no more than 4 QB into camp each year. Why do you think that is if "the more arms in camp, the better for competition"?

It's a bad thing to bring in a fat former 1st round bust with a history of drug problems and gambling addiction because it distracts from bringing in/grooming someone who might actually have a higher probability to work out.

I DONT buy the idea, because we had Vyoung and Tjax that we did not go out there and find another good arm. If there was an arm out there deemed better than the two, I have to believe, a coach trying to keep his job, would have gone out there and cut one of the two. Or just never went after Tjax. Obviously the market for quality QBs werent good. Sure, you can pick your favorite Bills FA or draft pick last year and you can go off your own subjective reasoning why you think a certain QB was better than Tjax or Vyoung but that does not mean you were correct. We will never know if, said QB you think would have been. I'm willing to be Gailey and co., though not successful in the past few years, has light years more football knowledge than anyone on this board. Gailey didn't see other QBs as a fit. So, back to the point at hand, its rediculous to think that they would not bring in a QB that they thought was better regardless of who's on roster, that's proposterous.

I get the idea that there are limitations, obviously less snaps to go around with more arms in camp. There are preliminary camps before the actual training camp leading up to the season. Are you saying we cant bring him in and have a look? How about the Bills just send a scout or two and just have a private workout with him, see how he's doing and make a decision whether its worth going forward and bringing him? If not, just forget about it and move forward without him. Would that make you feel better? Fact is, he was a number one pick, obviously he has the talent, he just needs the drive, and he's telling us that he's ready to make football his number one. Might as well have a look, what's wrong with due dilegence?

I will take a 300 lb Russell over Fitz.

That's how bad it is in Buffalo.

I can't tell if you are being utterly sarcastic or serious. I understand the dislike for Fitz, but Billy Joe should have taught us something about lazy, unprepared QBs

I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't mind as many arms in TC as possible to duke it out. Why not a former 1st rd pick with a chip on his shoulders? I'm not saying he's an improvement, just some more camp fodder that can turn into more if he has the burn and drive.

How about this ? Let him translate said burning drive to drop his weight to playing levels. The onus is on him to first show why any NFL team should even waste the time of day to call him, let alone give him a workout.

Well said.

I hope Marrone and friends are able to make quicker evaluations with that position and get them ready quicker than the last guy.

Training camp is not Romper Room. It's where you start preparing for the season. Camp fodder type players don't get the reps. If they do you are stunting the development if the real players.

PTR

Training camp is not Romper Room. It's where you start preparing for the season. Camp fodder type players don't get the reps. If they do you are stunting the development if the real players.

PTR

Ok, well, maybe a visit by our scouts like I put in another post in response to a post by another member. Due dillegence is needed at the least. Maybe he's serious, his history says he's not, but worth a look IMO.

Ok, well, maybe a visit by our scouts like I put in another post in response to a post by another member. Due dillegence is needed at the least. Maybe he's serious, his history says he's not, but worth a look IMO.

Why not send a scout to whatever prison Ryan Leaf is doing time in?

PTR

Why not send a scout to whatever prison Ryan Leaf is doing time in?

PTR

I figured you'd throw something out there like this. However, I'm sure this is much different taking into account the number of years between NFL snaps. We'll have to just agree to disagree, we're never going to agree, we're just on opposite sides of the spectrum. I think my points are valid, but I think your points are valid also, its just a difference of opinion rather than fact. I still say we should have a look.

Edited by HamSandwhich