Jamarcus Russell Making a Comeback

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after hammering Joe on this one, it's only fair to mention that the Jets had an internal dialogue about JaMarcus Russell in the days following the firing of GM Mike Tannenbaum shortly after the season ended:

http://profootballta...marcus-russell/

http://www.nj.com/je..._fold_jets.html

More recently, after Tannenbaum was let go, members of the organization had some very exploratory, informal discussions regarding former Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell, the 2007 No. 1 overall pick who flamed out of the NFL after the 2009 season. Russell recently decided to mount a comeback in hopes of returning to the league next season.

just saw on the NFL bottom line that jets had an informal meeting about him.

Seven posts upthread of yours.

The meeting seemingly happened in the first week of January, about 3 weeks ago.

It's just that news of this meeting just got out.

If he gets down below 250 I think he will get a look from a lot of teams. He has all the natural talent in the world. He needs a guru not named Davis Lee to tap in to that potential. If he works really hard I think at the very least he could be a third string clip holder for some team. Why not us?

If he gets down below 250 I think he will get a look from a lot of teams. He has all the natural talent in the world. He needs a guru not named Davis Lee to tap in to that potential. If he works really hard I think at the very least he could be a third string clip holder for some team. Why not us?

he throws a ball really far.

hes not particularly accurate. he doesnt read defenses very well. he is not a student of the game. he doesnt take care of his body.

he throws the ball really far.

Russell was 265 at the combine.

If he was able to get back down to that weight I think teams would start to take him seriously.

Russell was 265 at the combine.

If he was able to get back down to that weight I think teams would start to take him seriously.

Truly, who was the last qb out of football this long to be taken seriously?

Now who was the last one out this long with "omg he's the biggest bust ever" as his tag line to be taken seriously?

I don't recall any advocates of his out there either. He alienated just about anyone that could give him that shot he needs

Edited by NoSaint

Truly, who was the last qb out of football this long to be taken seriously?

Now who was the last one out this long with "omg he's the biggest bust ever" as his tag line to be taken seriously?

I don't recall any advocates of his out there either. He alienated just about anyone that could give him that shot he needs

it doesnt matter, everyone carves their own path. if you want to play that game:

Who was the last undrafted QB who went from Arena football to the NFL, appearing in 3 super bowls for 2 different teams, winning one?

Who was the last 5'10"rookie QB that tied the rookie TD passing record and guided his team to divisional round of the playoffs?

Who was the last QB taken in the 6th round that's appeared in 5 super bowls, winning 3?

it doesnt matter, everyone carves their own path. if you want to play that game:

Who was the last undrafted QB who went from Arena football to the NFL, appearing in 3 super bowls for 2 different teams, winning one?

Who was the last 5'10"rookie QB that tied the rookie TD passing record and guided his team to divisional round of the playoffs?

Who was the last QB taken in the 6th round that's appeared in 5 super bowls, winning 3?

What does those three players have in common?

Work ethic. Something JaMarcus was able to showcase so well his life coach quit on him. Remember Tiki Barber coming back? He had alianted so many people no one wanted to give him a tryout and he was a far better player than JaMarcus ever was

What does those three players have in common?

Work ethic. Something JaMarcus was able to showcase so well his life coach quit on him. Remember Tiki Barber coming back? He had alianted so many people no one wanted to give him a tryout and he was a far better player than JaMarcus ever was

He's probably enamored with his 48% at 5.5 yards per, 3 tds and 20 ints/fumbles and 11 qbr all while missing team meetings to go to vegas in his last season.... Or his big 30 QBR in his best season....

It's a really weird spot to dig in his heels.

He's probably enamored with his 48% at 5.5 yards per, 3 tds and 20 ints/fumbles and 11 qbr all while missing team meetings to go to vegas in his last season.... Or his big 30 QBR in his best season....

It's a really weird spot to dig in his heels.

If you damn a guy for bad numbers starting out on as a rookie on a bad team, check out guys like testeverde and aikman. Horrific. And what is it I'm digging my heels on? That he's worth coming in to turn his head and cough, throw some balls to PS WRs, and shoot the breeze with an assistant coach for an hour? The only one digging his heels is you claiming that represents some major investment that would set the franchise back

he throws a ball really far.

hes not particularly accurate. he doesnt read defenses very well. he is not a student of the game. he doesnt take care of his body.

he throws the ball really far.

it drives me crazy to see someone so gifted with the tools to be wildly successful not even possessing the strength of character and dedication to be moderately successful.

you know?

im not saying he has to be tom brady/peyton manning/aaron rodgers.

but the guy couldnt even care JUST enough to achieve a jay cutler level of success for 10-12 years and make an extra 100 million?? that wasnt enough incentive?

this world is filled with people who work just hard enough at their job to earn a paycheck. it frustrates me to no end to see professional athletes who can't do that. who squander what they've been given.

If you damn a guy for bad numbers starting out on as a rookie on a bad team, check out guys like testeverde and aikman. Horrific. And what is it I'm digging my heels on? That he's worth coming in to turn his head and cough, throw some balls to PS WRs, and shoot the breeze with an assistant coach for an hour? The only one digging his heels is you claiming that represents some major investment that would set the franchise back

Those stats were his last year. And second to last year.... I didnt touch his rookie numbers.

That was also 3 years ago, before an arrest, his life coach quitting on him, and him weighing 310lbs AFTER losing weight

Edited by NoSaint

Those stats were his last year. And second to last year.... I didnt touch his rookie numbers.

That's nor what I meant. He joined the league as a rookie on a really bad team. One of the most dysfunctional ever, and certainly the worst over the last 10 yrs or so. Look at aikmam yr 2, 11 TDs, 18 picks. That ratio only turned marginally positive his 3rd year (11/10) when he was starting to be surrounded by guys named emmitt, Irvin, novacek, and one of the best lines ever. Testeverde yr 2, ghastly 15 TDs, 35 picks. You think Russell wouldn't have done better with cowboys than raiders? No, well how have raiders done since he left?

That's nor what I meant. He joined the league as a rookie on a really bad team. One of the most dysfunctional ever, and certainly the worst over the last 10 yrs or so. Look at aikmam yr 2, 11 TDs, 18 picks. That ratio only turned marginally positive his 3rd year (11/10) when he was starting to be surrounded by guys named emmitt, Irvin, novacek, and one of the best lines ever. Testeverde yr 2, ghastly 15 TDs, 35 picks. You think Russell wouldn't have done better with cowboys than raiders? No, well how have raiders done since he left?

In 7 appearances in Russell's last season his backup Bruce gradkowski had a QBR 30 points higher. The following season Jason Campbell had a QBR 35+ points higher and the year after that over 40 points higher

Edited by NoSaint

I'm not defending him here.....I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.....but the QBRs you gave for him are way off.

Yr1: 55.9

Yr2: 77.1

Yr3: 50.0

I'm not defending him here.....I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.....but the QBRs you gave for him are way off.

Nope your doing efficiency ratings (which are widely junk) while I was doing QBR which is newer and seemingly a better indicator though not perfect either. 50 is average and Russell had an 11 in his last season and a high of about 30. Russell only broke 20 twice, never broke 36 had 5 single digit games and I'm not counting the .1 he put up (which I've never seen the likes of) as he didnt even get to a whole number in order to earn that single digit.

To put that season in perspective - fitzs worst game past year was a 16 and only was below 20 one other time (19.8) - Russell's last season was an 11

Edited by NoSaint

Can't say I'm surprised with the character assassination obsession he has towards Russell. I'd like to see how NS would hold up under such intense scrutiny and mud slinging.

But the bottom line is this , fudging numbers or not, with the amount of time and effort NS has used crapping on the guy, bills could have had him in, see if he's losing weight as a first sign of commitment, check out of his arm and mobility, and have a chat to get a sense where his head is at.