Jamarcus Russell Making a Comeback

Well I said he was lazy...And he is...I just felt bad for the kid when they were talking about his Uncles...I mean...For someone, after this much time, to be unable to keep from balling when the deaths are mentioned simply shows he is effected in a way many, including me, would not be...

i absolutely hate to even float this out there but... might he have been perhaps coached up a bit with regards to some of this media stuff? Im not doubting that the events effect him. it would be strange if they didnt... but sometimes when a guy is trying to be framed as a redemption story (and to get serious attention like he has you have to have a PR powerhouse of some variety backing you) i always wonder a little bit about the rip at your heart stories and tears flowing.

the less jaded side says it could also be a guy that has hidden behind drug abuse instead of dealing with his emotions and now hes a bit fragile with dealing with all the stuff he didnt in the past.

i really dont know, but he is a guy that im not quick to take at face value given a lot of things from his past.

More likely Garcia blew his own money and found himself 32 million reasons to help Jamarcus...

i dont know how the moneys flowing, but if hes getting air time, and practice... money is flowing in from somewhere. odds are a couple people are making some cash off all this, even if he flops.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GOgkbYUsNs

It's worth the 12 minutes of watching if you have not seen it on ESPN. I really hope he is sincere in his comeback.

I would not be against the Bills bringing him in for a tryout when that time does come.

You are gonna get flack for this, but I actually think what he is doing is great and he deserves a chance to get in someones camp. Young people make mistakes...he was young and was given more money than many people see in a lifetime and didnt handle it well. He has been humbled and dedicated himself to his craft to get back in shape and WORK his way back into the NFL, and that should be commended.

Why anyone would ever be against bringing a guy in to try and make a team is beyond me. No risk involved what so ever. And he supposedly has been very impressive slinging the ball around. I would support bringing him in, just like I supported Vince Young getting a shot here. Worst case scenario, you just cut him or dont give him a roster spot. That being said, I doubt he comes into our crowded QB situation when you factor in the inevitable rookie with Kolb and TJ, but someone should give him a shot.

Similarly, VInce Young apparently has looked really good in his workouts too...

You are gonna get flack for this, but I actually think what he is doing is great and he deserves a chance to get in someones camp. Young people make mistakes...he was young and was given more money than many people see in a lifetime and didnt handle it well. He has been humbled and dedicated himself to his craft to get back in shape and WORK his way back into the NFL, and that should be commended.

Why anyone would ever be against bringing a guy in to try and make a team is beyond me. No risk involved what so ever. And he supposedly has been very impressive slinging the ball around. I would support bringing him in, just like I supported Vince Young getting a shot here. Worst case scenario, you just cut him or dont give him a roster spot. That being said, I doubt he comes into our crowded QB situation when you factor in the inevitable rookie with Kolb and TJ, but someone should give him a shot.

Similarly, VInce Young apparently has looked really good in his workouts too...

on youngs side, is he has only been out of the league a year.

jamarcus has been out for juuuuust shy of 3 years (like 2 weeks short). his last game action was 40 months ago. im sorry, but theres A LOT to be said for atleast being in practices over that time even if its as a backup. has a qb ever been gone 2, yet alone 3 years and returned? heck, has anyone, forgetting that qb would be by far the hardest position to accomplish this with?

Edited by NoSaint

on youngs side, is he has only been out of the league a year.

jamarcus has been out for juuuuust shy of 3 years (like 2 weeks short). his last game action was 40 months ago. im sorry, but theres A LOT to be said for atleast being in practices over that time even if its as a backup. has a qb ever been gone 2, yet alone 3 years and returned? heck, has anyone, forgetting that qb would be by far the hardest position to accomplish this with?

You missed the point of everything I wrote. I made no claims he would even make a roster. My post was that I commend him for putting in the WORK to try and EARN a camp invite (not yelling, just emphasizing those two words). I personally dont care how long he was out for as he is still young. And yes, guys have been out of the league a while and came back and made a roster and an impact. Warner was in and out of Football between 1994 when he went undrafted and 1998 when he came out of nowhere to lead the league in yards and TD's. Kevin Smith was out of football for a while and burst onto the scene back with Detroit 2 years ago and made an immediate impact.

Sure, its a long shot, but it does happen. Again though, this isnt about whether he can make a roster or even become a starting QB again. It was about is he at least worth a shot to bring to camp with literally zero risk. I think that answer is yes and only because he has gone out and worked hard to earn that.

Again, I really dont think the Bills would bring him in simply because its pretty likely we are taking a QB in either round 1 or 2 and already have two more accomplished vets in Kolb and TJ. But I do think someone should at least kick the tires on this guy and let him come to camp and see if he can win a roster spot.

Edited by Alphadawg7

You missed the point of everything I wrote. I made no claims he would even make a roster. My post was that I commend him for putting in the WORK to try and EARN a camp invite (not yelling, just emphasizing those two words). I personally dont care how long he was out for as he is still young. And yes, guys have been out of the league a while and came back and made a roster and an impact. Warner was in and out of Football between 1994 when he went undrafted and 1998 when he came out of nowhere to lead the league in yards and TD's. Kevin Smith was out of football for a while and burst onto the scene back with Detroit 2 years ago and made an immediate impact.

Sure, its a long shot, but it does happen. Again though, this isnt about whether he can make a roster or even become a starting QB again. It was about is he at least worth a shot to bring to camp with literally zero risk. I think that answer is yes and only because he has gone out and worked hard to earn that.

Again, I really dont think the Bills would bring him in simply because its pretty likely we are taking a QB in either round 1 or 2 and already have two more accomplished vets in Kolb and TJ. But I do think someone should at least kick the tires on this guy and let him come to camp and see if he can win a roster spot.

The risk is only carrying so many bodies and choosing his over someone else's.

Otherwise, we generally agree... I just don't think he's in the top 150 qb prospects and its apparent you think he might be.

The risk is only carrying so many bodies and choosing his over someone else's.

Otherwise, we generally agree... I just don't think he's in the top 150 qb prospects and its apparent you think he might be.

Actually I do not think much of him at all, never had. That being said, people who know a lot more about football than me have come away impressed with his workouts. Given he has worked his tail off to redeem himself, I think he deserves a shot to see if he can make a roster. And he isnt taking a spot from anyone, he has worked hard to earn an invite and nothing is being handed to him. I just think he has worked and earned an opportunity.

Actually I do not think much of him at all, never had. That being said, people who know a lot more about football than me have come away impressed with his workouts. Given he has worked his tail off to redeem himself, I think he deserves a shot to see if he can make a roster. And he isnt taking a spot from anyone, he has worked hard to earn an invite and nothing is being handed to him. I just think he has worked and earned an opportunity.

You keep repeating this and I keep asking myself....why? Because of his 2 dead uncles? Take them away and is this a compelling story at all? No, it's not. As NoSaint said, this guy is working that angle to get a sniff from a team.

This guy's best chance to make a roster was when he was drafted #1. Turns out, extended family tragedies aside, he wasn't a very good QB. You want "some team" to give him a shot becuase he has worked out for a few months? You know he has no chance of getting on a roster, so why give him the shot--to "feel good"?

There have to be at least a dozen younger, hungrier, more gifted, smarter, more dedicated QBs who were never drafted and stay in shape every year hoping to get an invite to a camp. None of them threw away a starting QB job and a 32 million fortune in a microsecond. Why wouldn't you rather give one of those other guys a tryout instead of Russell? Sh**t, I would much rather have Garcia come to camp--he's was and still is a far better QB than JaMarcus (and possibly Kolb and TJ also).

The people who care about him should be encouraging him to stay as far away as possible from the only job he has ever had (which led him to his current sad state). They should be helping him develop skills that employers will find valuable so he can find a job that will support him the rest of his life.

Edited by Mr. WEO

• 1 month later...

Slimmed-down JaMarcus Russell attracts NFL interest

NFL.com May 28, 2013

Russell's now at a lean 265, his exact weight when he tore up the 2007 NFL Scouting Combine and captured Al Davis' affection.

Now that Russell has shed the frame of a left tackle, will NFL teams take him seriously as a roster candidate?

Apparently, the answer is yes. According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, there is now "significant" interest from more than one team, according to a source.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207494/article/slimmeddown-jamarcus-russell-attracts-nfl-interest

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

NFL.com May 28, 2013

Russell's now at a lean 265, his exact weight when he tore up the 2007 NFL Scouting Combine and captured Al Davis' affection.

Now that Russell has shed the frame of a left tackle, will NFL teams take him seriously as a roster candidate?

Apparently, the answer is yes. According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, there is now "significant" interest from more than one team, according to a source.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ts-nfl-interest

Wow, 265. Good for him. I hope he gets what he's looking for.

Not this year, reps are precious they need to work with what they have got in here right now. The die is cast for the QB jobs and they need to see it through. If it does not work then there is always next season.

Edited by Trader

NFL.com May 28, 2013

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207494/article/slimmeddown-jamarcus-russell-attracts-nfl-interest

Ill give credit for getting to 265. Still don't think he's a functional qb in this league, but perhaps he's starting the journey to functional human being in society.... Which is more important long term.

Ill give credit for getting to 265. Still don't think he's a functional qb in this league, but perhaps he's starting the journey to functional human being in society.... Which is more important long term.

This...Kind of surprised people are still talking about him actually.

The guy wasn't impressive at LSU (drafted mainly on measurables), he was terrible for the Raiders (had nothing to do with size). The bottom line is that he has never shown anything at any level that makes you think he could be a successful NFL QB. IMO anyway, and that was BEFORE he became a fat syrup addicted blob. The only reason he is even being discussed is because he was foolishly drafted by the Raiders #1 overall. Jared lost a lot of weight on Subway, should we bring him in too?

Edited by Turbosrrgood

This...Kind of surprised people are still talking about him actually.

The guy wasn't impressive at LSU (drafted mainly on measurables), he was terrible for the Raiders (had nothing to do with size). The bottom line is that he has never shown anything at any level that makes you think he could be a successful NFL QB. IMO anyway, and that was BEFORE he became a fat syrup addicted blob. The only reason he is even being discussed is because he was foolishly drafted by the Raiders #1 overall. Jared lost a lot of weight on Subway, should we bring him in too?

His talent is off the charts. potential is there. Someone will take a shot on him. I must say I am very impressed at his abilty to lose 50 pounds. Shows some serious devotion and drive