Jamarcus Russell Making a Comeback

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on you're too hard on the guy. Bruce Smith was suspended for cocaine. Should we have cut ties with him too?

No one is "lusting" over him. Just saying give him a workout. Because, although you may not like it, it can't hurt.

I just don't think the guy has what it takes upstairs to be any good in the NFL...He lacks drive and determination...I mean...If this news had come out and he was down to 250, I might be swayed a bit...But 308? seriously? Are we sure that's not a typo? That's ridiculous even for a guy like Russell who has a history of battling weight...308? And we're supposed to believe he's ready to come back and contribute? At 308? :rolleyes:

Its going to be hard to erase memories of the massive dumps he took all over the Oakland Raider's organization. That said, doesn't hurt to bring someone in who is looking for a second chance and seems driven. Whether its sincere or just a house of cards can be determined during the workout.

This isn't his second chance. He tried to come back a while ago. His life coach quit on him.

http://sports.yahoo....r_chance_041411

Edited by Jauronimo

There's a link in that NFL.com article referring to the Raiders refusing to let Terrelle Pryor wear Russell's jersey #2 --- it's almost like Jamarcus Russell's jersey has been retired by the Raiders:

http://sportsillustr...terrelle.pryor/

Pryor, who is 6-foot-6, was wearing No. 6. Not the No. 2 jersey he wore at Ohio State.

"Coach won't let me wear No. 2," he told a throng of reporters after practice.

"Why? I don't know. You tell me. I'm just going off what coach tells me."

Here's the answer to why coach Hue Jackson has good reason not to let Pryor

anywhere near the No. 2 jersey. The last Raider to wear No. 2 was JaMarcus Russell.

And the Raiders don't need any visible markers that put Pryor and their biggest

quarterback bust in history in the same category.

Edited by Punch

I agree with that. What weight would he have to get to by camp to give him a workout ? I would think 275-280 would do it.

That would be a good first step toward showing his commitment to changing. It's not just the weight that will concern coaches/GM's, but the commitment to excellence. He doesn't appear to have that trait. I hope I'm wrong.

Criminal is indeed a word to be concerned about, but perhaps just not in the context you're thinking. Drank is a hard one to stay quit of.

Oh, without a doubt. Purple Drank is nothing to scoff at. We'll have to make sure he's no longer on that stuff.

That said, maybe the gazillion dollars he earned from his contract is running low. That's a sure fire way to instill the desire to "make a comeback" in these guys.

Good article. The first two lines say it all....

Former 2007 No. 1 overall draft pick JaMarcus Russell is training for an NFL comeback.

We'll wait until you stop laughing ...

And if that isn't enough info, how about this...

The former Oakland Raiders quarterback, who hasn't taken a single NFL snap since 2009, told Yahoo! Sports he's dropped from 320 pounds to 308 pounds and is ready to bury past criticisms.

Wow. He lost 12 lbs. He's really serious this time.

At least he knows the problem...

"People would say (that) I didn't love the game but that pisses me off. People don't know the real you but I want people to know the real me..."

Yep, all his actions since he left college scream he loves the game.