Jarvis Jones - LB - Georgia

H2o

Let's say that you just waived your #1 tackling LB today (Barnett), and a difference-making LB (who can play 3-4 and 4-3 BTW), who has been #1, 2, or 3 on most draft boards, who has played lights-out for 2 years in the SEC, and has had 44 tackles for loss (the highest % ever), and 28 freaking sacks, is sitting there at #8. And you know that Pettine likes to blitz and get mismatches.

How do you not consider Jones?

Rob Gronkowski says hello.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's say that you just waived your #1 tackling LB today (Barnett), and a difference-making LB (who can play 3-4 and 4-3 BTW), who has been #1, 2, or 3 on most draft boards, who has played lights-out for 2 years in the SEC, and has had 44 tackles for loss (the highest % ever), and 28 freaking sacks, is sitting there at #8. And you know that Pettine likes to blitz and get mismatches.

When I look at a car that is fast, nice handling, and generally looked at as a real eye catcher...if there is a significant price tag on it...I want it to be perfect...I don't want the salesman to say "the engine may need to be repaired next year but this is one fine automobile". Don't get me wrong...not saying the kid is a chattel; but the medical risk is too great.

When I look at a car that is fast, nice handling, and generally looked at as a real eye catcher...if there is a significant price tag on it...I want it to be perfect...I don't want the salesman to say "the engine may need to be repaired next year but this is one fine automobile". Don't get me wrong...not saying the kid is a chattel; but the medical risk is too great.

i hear ya. at the end of the day, if the medical staff says that his condition is not too advanced and we can get a solid 5 years out of him, he'd be worth it (IMO).

if you look at the guy play, some make it sound like he's somehow currently limited by this condition. the guy throws his body around the field like an animal and makes punishing tackles. to me, it's all about trying to determine how many years he may be able to play at the next level.

totally understand the reservations though.

No no no and no. He's a 3-4 only player with medical issues. He has never been asked to cover at Georgia. Sure, he'd be a great rush linebacker when we run the 3-4 ONCE IN A WHILE... But do you really want to take a player at 8 that plays once in a while?

What about the fact that we'll most likely be running an attacking 3-3-5 more than anything?

Because Dion Jordan is available!!

Take his team mate Ogletree. Ogletree will turn out to be the better pro long term i think.

He is the guy i want to see what he weighs and how fast he is at the combine. I really do not like th ecombine but for a guy that is a converted safety to lb, it will be interesting to see. If Ogletree comes in at 250 and has the same speed and agility he had, he is your pick. Can cover the Lb's and is every bit as good as any LB the Bills have had since Fletcher left.

i hear ya. at the end of the day, if the medical staff says that his condition is not too advanced and we can get a solid 5 years out of him, he'd be worth it (IMO).

if you look at the guy play, some make it sound like he's somehow currently limited by this condition. the guy throws his body around the field like an animal and makes punishing tackles. to me, it's all about trying to determine how many years he may be able to play at the next level.

totally understand the reservations though.

I know what you mean. It's a crapshoot...no saying he will play half a season or ten. But these RB's and TE's in the NFL are bigger and heavier than alot of SEC and college kids. A few good head to head blocks and the kid could be out of commission. Just a risk at 8.

Yeah, he'd be pretty hard to pass up at #8.

Another scenario might have the Bills' war room phone ringing off the hook with offers from other teams to move up for Jones. I wouldn't mind moving back 4-5 spots, picking up a couple draft picks, and then selecting our QB. I will admit, however, that reports about Jones' work ethic worry me. You can get by like that in the NCAA's, but it will be an entirely different story in the NFL. How many players with freakish athletic abilities and poor work ethics have we seen underperform in the NFL?

Admittedly, I don't know much about Jones' work ethic...just going off what the scouts are saying.

As much as I like Jarvis Jones, if he was still available at 8 and the Bills were getting some good trade down offers I would have to go with that.

Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones passed his general medical checks and the report will be sent to every team on Thursday.

Gil Brandt tweeted that this should solidify a top-10 selection, but we are not as quick to come to that conclusion. This is the first hurdle Jones had to overcome medically, but he is not in the clear. In fact, each team puts questionable players through their own medical tests and passes or fails prospects on a per team basis. That is why the relationship between decision maker and head trainer is vital. We expect some teams to fail Jones medically, while others will pass him. The question remains: which ones and where are they drafting?

Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter Feb 13 - 8:33 AM

I agree it is hard to pass him up at 8, but another OLB/DE may still be there. Dion Jordan from Oregon is the one I want to be rushing the QB from the other side of Williams. He is 6'7 245 and lightning around the corner and Williams could take him under his wing. We definately need LB's though I think we will still be able to get our QB for the future in the second round (Bray, Nassib etc.)

• 4 weeks later...

With the latest news that Georgia LB Jarvis Jones has been given a clean bill of health, if he slips to #8 with the Bills on the clock, do the Bills take him? I say a resounding yes!! Immediate impact player on defense in an area of greatest need. Take our QB in the second or try to move back into the 1st rd however we can and go after the QB.

For every clean bill I suspect you'll get another fail. Especially with millions at stake here

For every medical denial of a player there is sometimes another medical opinion that will go against the cautionary opinion.

I'm confident that if Miami had to do it over the organization would have gotten another opinion on Brees before they said no to the future HOF qb who definitely would have changed the fortune of that franchise. Who knows, if Brees was a Dolphin Nick Saban might still be coaching in the pro ranks?

Edited by JohnC

With the latest news that Georgia LB Jarvis Jones has been given a clean bill of health, if he slips to #8 with the Bills on the clock, do the Bills take him? I say a resounding yes!! Immediate impact player on defense in an area of greatest need. Take our QB in the second or try to move back into the 1st rd however we can and go after the QB.

The Jarvis Jones saga is eerily reminiscent of the Daquan Bowers soap opera just a few years ago. It all comes down to the individual teams medical evaluations. Bowers slipped from possible #1 all the way to the 2nd round. Jones could too depending on the evaluations by interested teams.